What do you do when the power goes out?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Orange Furball, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Right now my power is out. I down to at&t 3.5g and a cell phone. For some reason, when the power goes out I have nothing to do. It seems everything involves electricity nowadays.

The most entertaining thing I have found so far is watching a cat play with a sock.

What do you do when the power goes out?

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Light candles and see how long I can go before spontaneous human combustion occurs.

3. barredfreak macrumors 6502

I fiddle with my phone or take a nap. Without electricity, I am as bored as can be. It's funny that you realize how important something is when you have to live without it.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I usually make no-bake cookies (yay gas stove) or go outside. Sometimes I'll read a book or play a board game.

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Read, go outside, run errands, etc.. It really depends on when the power goes out (day or night) and what I've got going on at the time. Of course I live in TX, so the biggest problem with the power going out is the loss of AC and the heat. If it's in the middle of the day then the family and I usually go somewhere that has AC like a store, the mall, a coffee shop, etc..

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I'm guessing it's day time where you are, go out and have fun, shop, eat in a restaurant you have never been to, walk around, ride a bike.

If it's night time, sleep or have sex. :p

8. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I always seem to lose electricity at night, never during the day, so I just go to bed.

9. Macman45, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Once a year, they service the electrical sub-station here (Out in the sticks) They notify us all in the affected area, and they switch the sub with a semi- generator...Takes them about 15 mins. I go 3G on my iPhone if I need to, but 15 mins? No big deal.

I watched these guys unplugging the cables and drag them to the truck generator....LIVE:eek:

10. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Generator kicks on as soon as my power goes out, the tank its attached to will power the house for about 3 days before it runs out. Didn't install it, it was already there lol.

Before than, read a book, fiddle with the phone. Cook something ( wooo old 1960s gas stove at the old apartment! ). Or just go for a drive.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

Holy Cow... reading these posts make me feel smug. Lot of people here seem to be at a total loss without their toys. Kinda sad, too....

1) There are these little known things with paper inside, all joined on one side. There are words printed on that paper, and contained in those words are entire universes.
    2) OP - If you are posting during the blackout... it's daylight there according to the time stamp, and the while the weather is not great... it's not bad. Go outside. Get some exercise.

--------

And you folks who can't cope without the juice... don't move into my neighbourhood. During the winter we can count on losing our power at least twice, for 24 to 48 hours. A couple of winters ago we lost our power for 5 days. (We have a gas stove, and a wood stove, and over a thousand litres of water in the basement.) At that point we started to go a little stir-crazy. The fact that we were also snowed in for 1st couple of days didn't help. We may get a generator or battery pack... for the fridge/freezer. We ended up tossing a lot of food.

Telephone worked fine since we have an old fashioned landline that plug into the phone jack when the power fails. And a windup radio to get the news. Cell phone coverage has never been great here. After a day's withdrawal, we discover that in fact the world does not end when the internet is off-line. Amazing, but true!

13. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Happens so rarely here. Only once in my adult lifetime, in fact (and the last time before that was a year or two before I was born).

Anyway, I played poker by candlelight, listened to a battery-powered cassette player that for some reason had survived 20 years past the boombox era, and looked at the Milky Way, which is usually hidden behind light pollution around here.

If it happens to you a lot, keep some candles handy, learn a few card games, and stock a couple good books. You know, the dead-tree kind. I've also heard pubs can be a lot of fun in a power outage. :cool:

14. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Well I wasn't freaking out :p just made me think and wonder what people do. I don't read much and the books I do own are just computer history and have been read a few times. The only one I hadn't read is my Steve Jobs biography. Such a long book. Anyway the power came back on so I'm happy.

If I lost it for more than a day I would go crazy. Mainly because I only get one day of battery out of my phone

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Turn on the generator :D.

16. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I have my router hooked into a backup UPS, so when the power goes out, the router can usually go for a few hours to keep everything going. Surf the internet for a few hours until my laptop dies. Then surf the internet on my phone till that dies.

17. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I would just go into my bedroom and do what boys do best when they're alone and bored. ;)

18. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Our internet has a built in generator (I assume, because even when the power goes out I'm able to have the internet for several hours), but i usually just do what I normally do. Read, use my phone/computer, etc. Since everything has such good batteries now (and not everything even requires batteries....like books :p)

19. Queso macrumors G4

I turn the oven/kettle/whatever off and go flip the circuit breaker. Gotta love Spanish wiring :)

And if it's a town wide outage, well, that's what Kindles and iPads are for.

20. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Lucky you!

Next time I have a power outage hopefully my tablet will be charged...

21. kbeech macrumors newbie

Fire up the generator...

because the well pump won't run on books!

22. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Not sure what a "no-bake" cookie is, but why do you need a stove if it's "no-bake"? Unless it's stove stop cookies?

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Celebrate the fact that it's an opportunity to be _totally_ unplugged.

Then I get comfy and meditate.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think about peak oil and the absurdity of relying on fossil fuels....

25. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

The first honest answer in this thread. :p