What do you do when you can't fall asleep?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Sep 19, 2012.

1. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

TSE

Did you watch them as a kid late at night? I remember falling asleep to watching them as a really little kid all the time. Perhaps that has something to do with it if you did the same thing.

I might actually try that, might work.

If I am not 100% busy throughout the day I can never fall asleep. Takes 2-3 hours at least.

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yes I did, I'm only 23 but my dad got me into the habit of watching old shows and taught me to appreciate them. I always had tv land in my room. When I really want to relax I watch them, even later shows like threes company. Feels like they take you away to a different time and let you forget the stresses of the 21st century for a little while.

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

TSE

Wow, yeah. I'm 19 and I remember staying up to like 9pm (that was really late for me back then) when I was like 4 or 5 drinking hot cocoa watching Andy Griffith, Leave it to Beaver, The Adam's Family, etc. on TVLand.

Those were the days, man. :eek:

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Way back when I lived in an apartment, my solution was to bang on the bedroom wall and yell, "Knock it off! We're trying to sleep over here!" It'd quiet down for about 5 seconds and then *thump* *thump* *thump*. Gawd, I hated newlyweds.:p

Nowadays I'm a proud home owner. When I can't sleep, I yell at the kids. "Youse know what time it is?! 1 in da morning. If youse don't shaddap and let me get some sleep, I'm tossing both of your (_!_)'s out on to the street. Capice?" Of course, that doesn't work. The kids knows daddy loves them.:eek:

I have to grab a copy of Pet Semetary. Nothing knocks me out like Stephen King's literary sedative. His writing style is so boring, I'm asleep after 2 pages; been reading this book for the past 5 years. I finally got to the part where Louis buries "Church." Don't spoil it for me...but I'm guessing it'll be some sort of holy burial ground, possibly Native-American? It wouldn't surprise me if it WAS an Indian burial ground; it's always an Indian burial ground.:rolleyes:

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I break out the iPad and watch massage videos on YouTube. I'm usually out in a few minutes.

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

With happy ending ones? :p

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd rather masturbate

8. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

+1.. And when you're all fapped out there's always DVD commentary tracks. I recommend futurama and anything with Arnold for a direct-to-zoneout experience.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

All of those things involve physical activity or engaging your mind. You must be kidding about the cocoa, which contains caffeine. You don't want lights on, that includes the TV or computer. I get out of bed, sit in a comfortable chair until I start to get drowsy, then I go back to bed. I always go to sleep after that. Laying in bed trying to relax just doesn't work.

10. 0098386 Suspended

Watch videos on my old iPod 5.5G. I've got the whole of King of the Hill I'm making my way through, Futurama, South Park, Death Note and Dragon Ball Z (cycling through each show as I finish the last). I find that short 25 minute animated shows are great for getting to sleep. I usually watch one episode a night.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

No, no, no - we're talking about YouTube here. Chair massages, Indian head massages, Swedish massages - some of those videos are really, really relaxing to watch. :cool:

12. Andeavor macrumors 6502

13. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Masturbation is dangerous and let me tell you why...

When you masturbate you are exiting the root chakra... by the way, I am not religious by fashion, this year I just spent close to 15 thousand dollars investigating and trying everything from psychics, santeria, you name it... and chakras are part of it.

The root chakra get exited and it suck a lot of energy that goes away, yes, it is vital energy that your body regenerate. When you have sex with a girl the energy is exchanged so you are not so drained. It depends too on the girls energy.

Any way, your root chakra is open because is supposed to "receive" some sort of energy. What happens is that evil spirits (as such) can penetrate and suck your energy. It is very usual that you can get more horny again and again and desires to masturbate because that spirit is feeding from you.

Masturbation release a big deal of dopamine witch feels good and is what makes you sleepy and dumb. It relaxes the body from anxiety too. But the constant masturbation makes you wanting to masturbate more and that creates anxiety and addiction.

You end up dumb and with attention deficit problems and some sort of depression and anxious.

The best way to recover is to not masturbate for at least 3 weeks. Not even think about it. Or going to a place for chakra healing, that balanced your different charkras, each session is around $100.

I used to masturbate to go to bed, but never again. Then I understood why masturbation was considered a sin. I mean, I went from the practice to explain the theory.

Just my 2 cents.

14. Andeavor macrumors 6502

^ rei101, you've been conned out of 15'000 dollars just to be told masturbating ins a sin? There are no such things as evil spirits entering your body after you orgasm, that's fairy tale territory.

Yes, you release energy from masturbating or having sex but that is a good thing, because keeping it in for too long creates unnecessary kinetic tension that can mess up your body flow and result in emotional suppression and distress. It's like stopping yourself from breathing.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You play with your chakra, and I'll play with my chakra if you know what I mean.

16. Caliber26, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I've heard a variant of this before and I often wonder about it when I am in the middle of the act. I believe there's some truth to it. But we were given the ability to self-stimulate for a reason, so I also believe it's a natural thing.

And in regards to the OP: I start to play my audiobook. Works like a charm. Lol, I'm still on Chapter One, even though I started it over 4 months ago.

17. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

Man, I couldn't think of something else as boring as an audiobook!

18. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Nah, I have spent around $15K to dig into the entire spiritual thing, not to find out what masturbation caused. I can tell you about borderline personality disorder and the spiritual, energetic, chemical and psychological reasons depending on the person, just to name something.

----------

Masturbation is a natural thing but many things are and many things have different impact depending on how ofthem you do it.

For example, if you are anxious about something and you masturbate, you will feel relaxed for just that one time. You are liberating excess of energy.

But... if you are a horny person you should avoid masturbation because you are creating anxiety around it. Is like taking a drug to cure you or taking a drug for being drug addict.

When you are a teen and even until late 20's, you have a lot of energy, specially as a teen. But just be aware that you should use that energy into something productive.

It is better if you go to the gym, develop your body and practice having girlfriends. Have a new one each 3 to 4 months, 4 months would do. Having sex with different people at same time will make you stupid, too egocentric, a show off, or what is called "super ego" (someone pretending to be cooler than the rest but with a lack of confidence or a breakable one).

Always be a cool person, karma, good karma will get back to you.

19. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

WTF are you going on about??? Who told you this BS?

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Not for me :/

I usually watch software training video's. I've learned lots about Houdini, Modo, Maya, ZBrush, and others thanks to sleepless nights.

22. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

They're actually very entertaining! I love listening to a good book while I'm driving and especially during long drives. But if I'm laying in bed, with the lights out, it puts me right to sleep.

I used to think it was the stupidest thing ever until I gave it a try. :)

----------

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the hand, but I also agree with your way of thinking. I wish I knew more people like you.

23. rei101 macrumors 6502a

If things just fly over your head, shut up, investigate and show some respect to begin with.

24. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

I do this every night anyway... I put on an audio book, something interesting that requires a lot of concentration, like for example Louisa Gilder's "The Age of Entanglement" or maybe Feynman's messenger lectures.

When I didn't have access to stuff like that and I needed to sleep a sure fire method was for me to count. One, Two, Three... One hundred and twenty... pronouncing the full word in my head each time, not only that but I also would picture the actual number and concentrate. If my mind wandered and I realised that I could not remember how I got from say 40 to 65, then I'd start from number one again.

The intense concentration required usually has me off in the land of nod before I get to one hundred due to the many times I have to restart. It's elaborate but it works. It's surprising how difficult it is to get very far.

25. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

This is a very interesting post in the context of the work that I'm writing up. I have over the course of a 22 year relationship developed my own tantra which is part of a completely new paradigm regarding sex and sexuality.

I'm just beginning to write it all up on my new website but let me say a few things about Chakra's and kundalini and all that stuff. Now that's all very well and good but I can say that it's all nonsense.

Everyone who talks that stuff is only repeating stuff that someone else said, and the question is 'how to they know'? I have discovered that it's best not to believe anyone because after investigation every single avenue in a relationship I can announce that there are some things that took me 18 years to discover and what I have discovered is very counter intuitive and surprising.

A word about ancient knowledge. Knowledge should stand or fall on it's own merits, it's not good just because it's old and it's not bad just because it's new.

I will be writing a book with the current working title of 'masturbating your way to health and happiness', it's a slightly facetious title and it's meant to directly challenge the Christian anti masturbation lobby like this garbage for example.

Some people reckon anal sex is OK because it's in the Kama Sutra, and while I respect anyone's right to do whatever they want it is still an objective fact that anal sex is plainly bizarre. You see when the Kama Sutra was written, the concept of bacteria was unknown. The point I'm making is that you can't just point to ancient writings about Chakras or ancient scriptures like the Kama Sutra and automatically assume they have some merit. Their merit or lack of it, must be judged solely on the facts that are presented.

I'll go on if anyone is interested.