What do you do when you're being pulled over?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by moonman239, Apr 12, 2014.

?

What do you do?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2014.
  1. I pull over ASAP.

51 vote(s)
    91.1%
  2. I try to find a lit, crowded area to pull over into.

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. I go to a police station.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

How often do you get pulled over? Been driving 23 years and only been stopped once. I pulled over straight away.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Only been pulled over twice in 34 years of driving. Pulled over as soon as safe, open my window and put my hands on the steering wheel until the cop approaches.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Having been pulled over more often than I want to admit...

Pull over immediately.

Keep my hands in view until the trooper is at my door.

Take off my sunglasses.

Treat the trooper with courtesy.

Frequently that will lead to my getting a Warning, rather than a Citation...but I never argue since all of my busts have been justified, and I own the responsibility for my actions.

But, then, I feel if you do the crime, you pay the dues...

That's just me, though.

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Pull over when safe. Usually that's quick and easy. The highway is a bit of an exception. If you don't feel like there's a safe place to pull over, make it obvious you're complying by slowing down.

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Pull over immediately. If I know what I got pulled over for, I admit it and produce necessary documents (insurance, registration, license). I've only gotten one ticket but have been pulled over a few times. Being polite and honest usually gets a warning and not a ticket unless you were really egregious or the cop is in a bad mood.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Toss a bit o' cash out the window then floor it.

8. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I get pulled over at least a couple times / year (no tickets) but I do a lot of late night driving. If they see any of your bulbs out, they will use that as an excuse to pull you over and check to see if you have been drinking (which is why I never drink if I'm going to drive :D).

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This.

It's really pretty simple.

And keep your registration and insurance in a little book-cover.

It will make it easier to find.

10. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Literally laughing out loud at that response :D

I have never been stopped but then again, I've only been driving for 5 years.

11. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Pull over ASAP, look as law-abiding as possible. In the off-chance he turns off his own car and almost reaches your door, you floor it.

12. kendall69 macrumors regular

Pulled over twice

Pulled over twice, once they pulled me over for no light on my license plate, I got out to see, sure enough light was out and he was writing the ticket. I walked behind his car and sure enough HIS light was out on his license plate. I said, soon as you're done with my ticket, you better write on to yourself. I showed him - he let me go.
    Second time I was speeding and I KNEW I was busted in a new city, no way was I getting out of this, so I might as well have some fun.
    Cop said " let me see your license. I just went to the DMV and didn't change the plated over yet, so I handed him the "license" PLATES that I didn't install - showing him I was a complete idiot. He started laughing so hard - he let me go saying he would have to fill out too much paper work. WHEW

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I pull right over, if I was consciously driving faster then the posted speed, then I admit I was doing so. I avoid the games people play and just admit my fault.

I've done that before and I've avoided a speeding ticket. I once did a ride along with a police and as we talked he told me that they see every trick in the book and trying to act dumb, cute or argue will almost always cause you to get a ticket. Its only when you're fully honest and forthright do you stand a chance.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My recommendation to family and friend has always been to pull over in a safe, for both you and the officer, spot. Put the window down, put hands on the wheel and be polite and courteous. If at night, also turn on interior lights so they can better see you.

Being courteous is the most important thing if you wish to avoid a citation of sorts - depending on what you did of course and other factors. Officers are people too and they don't like dealing with jerks just as no one else does.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You mean you should say "What happened the donut shop ran out of donuts" when he pulls you over :p

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Right. Probably not a good idea! :p

17. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Only ever happened once, other than regular roadside drinking checks that they run here. Pull over immediately. Admit if I am wrong. Never try to play lawyer as officers have handcuffs for roadside lawyers (not learned from experience).

18. JTToft macrumors 68040

Since I've never been pulled over by a police officer, I really can't say what I do when I am. If I were pulled over, though, I'd keep my hands in view, be polite, and admit any guilt without hesitation.

Police officers, in my opinion, are among the finest of our society. They have an important job to do, but also a thankless and stressful one. They deserve to be treated with nothing but respect, and trying to get out of a ticket with various tricks not only won't get you anywhere, but is immoral and disrespectful to the officer.
    I'd probably take the chance to thank him or her for his or her service, as well.

19. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I've been pulled over three times, twice with a ticket. i got yelled at by the officer once because i turned left into a side street because i didn't want to be on the side of a busy road.

20. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Pull over. Then debate if it is worth flooring the fuel pedal.

21. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Haha they hate that! They like to showcase on the busy road. This can work to your benefit by displaying your attention to safety to both yourself and the officer yet he was upset at safety (and also became aggravated). It should be a cause for a counter-claim to look further into the officer's safety records before proceeding with your conviction. At which point I would offer to drop it in exchange to let you go.

22. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

he told me that you aren't supposed to do that and asked if i was ever taught that in drivers ed. in drivers ed we never even discussed what to do if you are pulled over because they assumed everyone was perfect.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I do this as well.

I used to work as a reserve deputy many years ago. I once had a Lieutenant tell me, "I've had a lot more people talk their way into a ticket than have ever talked their way out of one."

24. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Oh dear. I would have wrote that down and submitted it as evidence that the officer isn't aware that drivers don't need to pull over until they can do so safely. Of course that time between seeing cherries and pulling over is a gray area, but 60 seconds to turn off a busy street would be completely reasonable. I had an officer tell me never to ask for a police badge again (while yelling at the top of his lungs)... some are smart, some aren't.

25. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I've been pulled over a few times in 40 years of driving. What I don't do is get out my driver license before the officer asks for it. I want him/her to think this is a new experience for me.