What do you do with your JB'd ATV2?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by reebzor, May 2, 2011.

1. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

So yesterday I bought an AppleTV2 and I jailbroke it as soon as I got home because I really only intended to use it with Plex. So I did that, and it's all up and running but the experience was so easy, I wanted to install more stuff. I'm having a hard time finding other things to install and other ways to use the AppleTV.

I assume it is only a matter of time before Apple releases an App Store for the AppleTV but I don't want to wait to install Apps on mine. I know there is not a ton of stuff out there, but what else is there to do with a Jailbroken AppleTV2?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wow, I didn't know you can jailbreak an AppleTV. Does it have cydia and can you restore it to stock?

3. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I use Plex on my jailbroken ATV2. I have the media server set up on my Mac Pro and connect using my iPad, atv2, or my girlfriend's macbook. It's a very elegant media solution. It connects to IMDb and various other databases for metadata collection. I like it because I can stream my mkv's to my atv2 without having to re-encode.

4. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I bought the firecore ATv Black program. installed XMBC, internet browser, and the usual stuff on there, but to be honest, so far Plex is all I use.....

It is fantastic got the iphone and ipad apps - does seem to be a little resource hungry, and some of the categorization is a little odd - it lists an albino bias category because of the Da Vinci Code!!! Bit excessive

However, I too would be keen to know if anyone has an suggestions for the appleTv - I suspect its specs and function prob mean it is about at its limit now

5. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

I use Plex, XBMC & The media player from atv flash. I find Plex a little funny as it shows films i don't even have on my computer ! XBMC is ok occasionally crashed when watching a film. The atv flash media player has got a lot better since the updates.

I use my atv mostly for playing music as it's nice to be able to control what i play & volume etc while sitting in the garden (very lazy i know) :)