What do you do with your old iPhones (except for giving them, selling them, etc)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theapplefanboyj, Apr 26, 2014.

1. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

The title says it all. Getting a 5c or 5s and want to use the device and do anything with it, apart from selling it. I always need a backup phone, but apart from that, is there anything else we coulddo with iPhone's gathering dust?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Put them in their original boxes with all their accessories, and put them away someplace safe. Then just get them out on special occasions for a charge and polish.

3. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

But I want to use them not let them gather dust for a period of time.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Use them then. Use them as an iPod touch, ATV remote, inter come throughout your house, or just rotate them.

Btw just noticed your username. There is only one Apple fanboy!:D

5. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want to use it as an iPod Touch but I think that it's going to overlap apps with my new iPhone

6. justinthesommer macrumors regular

justinthesommer

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Remove the SIM, turn on airplane mode (with wifi on if you want internet) and use as an iPod touch. I say turn on airplane mode since 911 still works without a SIM. Just in case you have kids and let them play with it.

Otherwise sell or give to a family member or something. I'm thinking of selling my iPhone 5 when my contract is up in January. I donated my flip phone to some veterans thing and gave my bricked BlackBerry Storm2 back to Verizon.

8. Armand2REP macrumors newbie

The upside of buying an iPhone is its high resale value. I see little value repurposing something when your current phone does it better.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Sell them for a disproportionately high price to fund the next phone?

Did I miss the memo about Obvious Night on MR?

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

My thoughts too, except for my original iPhone, which I keep (boxed) for nostalgic value.

11. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

You can also use your iPhones as a camera monitor. Check over on CNet.com they have an how to on how to use your old iPhones as a camera monitor. So if someone breaks into your home you will see them :)

or use it as a backup camera or iPod. I kept my iPod Touch. I have mostly games and music for when I travel or do stuff. This way I won't use my iPhone battery down as much.

12. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm leaning to the kids side of things... The amount of times my little sister takes my phone when I'm using it!

13. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I donate mine to women shelters. They always get good use out of them. Just as I do with most of my computers. Even if they only get a year or so out of them, it is better than nothing.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I sell, or trade in my phones. The older phones help offset the cost of the newer phone.

At some point in the next few years, I'll forgo the trade-in/selling and give my older phone (and my wife's) to our daughters but they're not of age yet so I'll keep trading them in.

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

My 3GS was given to a friend and my 4s is on a bike mount and used with a cycling app called "Motion X GPS". The Battery only last 90 minutes when using GPS continously so I have a battery pack to extend life.

16. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

I bought the Miveu case / fisheye lens / chest mount to turn my old iPhone 4 into an action camera.

I used it when mountain biking in Colorado and it worked great. The case / fisheye lens (without the mount) has also worked when I wanted a wider angle camera for still shots.

They were selling just the case / fisheye lens (not the chest mount) for the iPhone 4/4s for $5 when the iPhone 5 came out. We picked up an extra one at that time. I did a quick search just now and it looks like they only sell them as a complete set. The company is now called Camrig so it may have been sold to someone else.

http://camrig.com/iphone-mounts/iphone-4-mount-1/miveu-x4-4s-iphone-mount

17. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Pics of this?

18. justinthesommer macrumors regular

justinthesommer

Real basic. Just take all the components out and print a picture that will fit behind the glass and tape it in.

19. Armand2REP macrumors newbie

Repurposing idevices is a lost cause. The battery will go crap and it isn't worth a replacement.

20. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Considering I have an old iPod classic and an iPod touch 4th gen. that gets a good charge, I would keep it. Most people forget to turn off the devices when not in use. My current iPhone I will turn off 4-5 times a week. Who am I gonna call when I'm asleep? lol

When you decide to use your iOS devices as a backup, you should refresh them. Meaning that you should erase and restore. If you don't want to restore them, than just erase some of the apps that you aren't using. Turn off stuff that you don't need. :apple:

21. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

I keep my old 3G around as backup, has saved me a few times. I'm also pretty emotionally attached to it, as it was my first smartphone....so I like to just take it out of the box and speak softly to it sometimes... :D

22. =E= macrumors regular

=E=

I use my old iPhone 4 to listen to music with, I have one of those small stereos where you can put the iPhone/iPod in. Works fantastic. Its the 32gb version so it can store many songs.

23. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I have a 4s and would love to get just data on it once I get the 6. :D

Just pop an iPad sim card into it?

24. briannaharbor macrumors member

I think it would be wiser to put it back in the box, and save it for an occasion when you might actually need to use it again. You never know if you are going to drop the new one in a way that would completely break it, and wouldn't it be nice to open up the old one, ready to go?

25. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Battery replacements can be done for around $10. Not a big deal.