Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Upgraded display, improved battery, upgraded RAM and 32GB will be the low end with 128GB the high end, improved cameras, tweaked form factor.

iOS 6 will copy the best cydia tweaks as usual, but won't be released with iPad 3.

Last edited:

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Apple needs to ditch the Fisher Price file system, because it makes the iPad useless as a productivity tool. If Tim Cook thinks that people are too dumb to grasp such a "complicated" concept at least give us a central documents folder that apps can use to share files instead of copying the same file over and over when attempting to use multiple apps. Frankly the fact that it's impossible to attach a file from a mail app is pretty absurd in my book.

"Useless" is a bit of an overstatement no? I'm pretty productive with mine (see my signature...)

Re the ipad3, it will be better than the ipad2. That's the only thing we can count on. Whether "better enough" to compel an upgrade will of course depend on individual use and preferences.

For my part, I expect a128GB version, an increase in ram, CPU and gpu, a better camera, better screen, mostly similar form factor and price structure. In other words, a solid incremental update.

For iOS 6, I think the big feature will be user accounts, with easy switching performed via facial recognition.

The Loafer

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
*Looking at short-term crystal ball*

I see, I see a new device, coming very soon. I see much, I see it will have:

- A "retina" style display
- A dual core but with a slightly elevated clock speed
- An similar GPU to the iPad 2 but with a slightly elevated clock speed
- ... but 1 gig memory to support the extra resolution (note that I see Apple will not advertise this... yet again)
- I see improved battery life for running old apps but similar battery life for those apps supporting the new display resolutions.
- I see... hmm, it's not very clear, but it seems to be a different take on their existing form factors. Say what?!?
- I do not see bluetooth 4.0 yet
- I do not see thunderbolt
- I see an iphone 4/4s type of camera, nothing more, nothing less.

*Rubs crystal ball some more since one particular answer just does not add up*

I see, I see...
- an opportunity...

Say what the sequel?!?

- I see Apple not doing the iPad 3 thing. Rather, I see them keeping the iPad 2 as a main producer but I see apple testing waters on an iPad 2P... as in "Pro".
- I see Apple having the following lines avaible late March, each in multiple colors:
1) iPad 2 16gig
2) iPad 2 32gig
3) iPad 2P 64gig
4) iPad 2P 128gig

- I thought I saw an iPad 2P at 32gig but someone beat up someone else at Apple and now it's not longer in the card.
- I thought I saw an iPad 2 at 64gig but someone yelled "revenge" and there we go, one model less, though that dude said "I still have 60 odd days to change "the replacements" mind, so this is not over"

My crystal ball is quite the peeping tom today!

- I see Apple's opportunity as something some may not like, as "Pro" will mean they will be moving away from their existing price structure where the new models sell for the same existing prices. I see an apple exec swearing up and down that it's needed because they can't just break even on an ipad model and that's what selling an ipad with a retina screen and quad core would do right now.

I see...

1) iPad 2 16gig $400
2) iPad 2 32gig $500
3) iPad 2P 64gig $750
4) iPad 2P 128gig $850

My crystal ball is powered via 3G today and its a real crappy signal and it's showing nothing relevant to the 3G models. I'm sure they are still there, but what can I say, no reading, no predictions.

*Rubs crystal ball one last time*

- its very murky, I don't see much. Oh wait, this is the ios6 prediction, the murkiness is just a new and improve iCloud
- I see.. nothing else. Stupid battery is dead

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
With all the competition from the android side, Apple will need to think outside the box, but most importantly, listen to customer needs, like:

A micro-sd slot
An easy file system
Built in printer apps

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I think iPad 3 or 2S or whatever will be a faster clocked dual core (maybe 1.5Ghz or so) or a 1Ghz quad.
1gb of ram.
'retina' display.
the same battery life or slightly longer (for older apps/internet browsing etc).
same/similar form factor.
same price points for 16, 32 and 64gb.
better cameras, not sure about a 8mp on the back but at least 5 with full hd recording.
front should be better than vga quality if we are getting a high res screen.

no lte.

I just have a feeling we won't see 128gb or lte. I think out of those two lte would be more likely than more memory.

I also think the iPad 2 will sell for $399 with 16gbs of memory.

Last edited:

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
if it has retina display I'll buy a 64GB, 3G iPad 3- if not i'll go for a cheaper used iPad 2 with 3G
buying a Wifi only ipad 2 was a big mistake :)

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Expecting the A6 and the new iPhone camera. Retina display for sure. OS6 won't be ready till Fall again but will be a free update.
I would not be surprised if Apple offered the iPad2 16GB as the lowest cost tablet model with maybe even a price drop. Reports of continuing orders for iPad2 screens would support that.
That's why it might be a good idea to sell your iPad2 NOW. I just sold mine. It will be hard waiting for the iPad3 but I think it will be worth it. I buy the new model every year after selling my old one at the end of January.
I expect an announcement the last week of Feb and availability first week in April.

Last edited:

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
*Looking at short-term crystal ball*

I see...

1) iPad 2 16gig $400
2) iPad 2 32gig $500
3) iPad 2P 64gig $750
4) iPad 2P 128gig $850

Well I would say close but no cigar..
Looking into my Magic 8 Ball I see

iPad2 16G $499 or $450
iPad3 32Gig $599
etc from there.

Karr271

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
More RAM is not necessary for a higher resolution screen. the fourth gen iPod touch has the same 256mb of ram as the third gen iPod touch although it has a retina display. 512mb of RAM seems fine, but an upgrade is possible. I simply would not be disappointed of it still had the same amount of ram.

Also, I don't think a quad core processor is necessary. People might think it's necessary to compete with other tablets but it ultimately comes down to the OS. iOS on a dual core tablet can still do circles around a quad core android tablet. It boils down to how the OS handles the processor and since Apple makes the hardware and software, it will run smoothly.

I do see a retina display as a possibility though. I think it'll have:
- retina screen
- better cameras
- siri
- the same design!!!
- upgraded processor (either at a higher clock speed or 1ghz quad core)

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
What I really hope for in iOS 6:
  • My documents for storing files, with more types that just image+video. All apps for which user grants access rights can read from and write to this documents repository. Users still can't manually create folders or otherwise manage this stuff. Apps simply browse by data type appropriate to the app. Includes option to sync My Documents (photos/videos excluded) via iCould, similar to Contacts, Calendars, and Reminders.
  • iOS should have more granularity for granting apps rights. Apps shouldn't have to ask for location services if they don't actually need my location (they do it to get access to photos). iOS should allow apps to prompt for one or more of: location services, contacts, documents (see above), camera+photos, music+video library, push notifications, and/or 3G internet access (wifi internet access should not require confirmation).
  • Multi-user support, whether it's selecting a username at the lock screen before swiping, or facial recognition to handle that. I don't care. But it'd be nice to have my apps and content, and then a mode for my kid with her apps and content (and restrictions enabled).
  • Better multi-tasking user interface. Just bring up all the audio and lock controls and background apps full screen so that I can adjust things without unnecessary swiping. Visibly differentiate apps which are actively doing something in the background vs. just cached vs. not even in memory any more. Add a Close All Apps button because I'm tired of manually closing them one by one. Do NOT change iOS away from one, full-screen active app at a time.
  • More for my phone, but I would really like to be able to configure default camera resolution settings. Because, to be honest, I cannot stand that my 4S takes 1080p video. I do not need that kind of resolution; it wastes a ton of disk space and makes it impossible to stream to ATV2 without a lot of waiting for it to buffer.
  • App developers should be able to create apps which run in the Notification Center similar to the Weather and Stocks widgets (of course, users still have full control over which apps show in the notifications center just like now).
  • Improved photo management. It's pretty poor that albums in the iPad Photos app don't acknowledge Key Photo or photo ordering as they exist in the Mac's iPhoto they were sync'd from. What's the point of organizing events and albums in iPhoto when they're just all jumbled when sync'd to the iPad (which is what I carry around to show friends and family; my Mac stays at home).
  • Photostream improved. Management. Web access. Consolidation of multiple Apple IDs. Etc. This feature is a poor gimmick right now. It could be so much more.
  • iMessage configurable as primary or secondary texting mechanism (i.e. utilize iMessage only when on wifi, or only when no cellular bars available). I prefer SMS over iMessage and so must keep it disabled, but I wouldn't mind it being a backup.
  • Full screen mode toggle, or at least a tabs-free toggle, for Safari. I ***** hate tabs and the real estate I lost upgrading to iOS 5 on my iPad. Multi-page view was elegant and quite functional.
  • Dictionary management. I hate when iOS learns a misspelling, and then the only way to fix it is to reset the entire disctionary of learned words. Let me go in and see what it's learned and delete or add individually. We have custom Shortcuts now; just make it similar to that.
  • Better Siri. Internet access for basic tasks (creating reminders) is terrible. Name recognition and pronounciation of my contacts is poor and doesn't even utilize contact phoenetic fields properly. Better comprehension and answers, etc.
  • Option to specify that apps, at least Apple's built-in apps, close when the user presses the home button instead of backgrounding. Maybe on an per-app basis. I've watched many tech-unsavvy iOS users struggle because they don't "get" the top-left "back button" and navigate "deep" into apps and become too lost to get out. Before iOS added multi-tasking, launching an app always started you at its main page instead of remembering where you exited so if a user got lost, all he had to do was press home them launch the app again. This was a good mechanic for less savvy users.
  • Better volume management in Settings. It's clear that iOS internally stores a separate volume level for many different things (ringer, videos, sound effects, etc). Please just show me all of these as separate sliders in settings so that I can adjust them and review them easily. Also, the mute switch needs to freaking mute.. everything. I hate that videos play sounds despite my device being muted.
  • Quicker (less menu navigating) means of toggling Blue Tooth on/off. I've wanted this since iOS 1. That toggle is too deep in the Settings.
  • Safari needs to cache to disk so it doesn't have to reload a page you're on just because RAM got reallocated while it was backgrounded.

And what I hope for in the next iPad's hardware:
  • Retina display with resolution 2048x1536.
  • Better front-facing camera for facetime. Additional front-camera which is centered for landscape orientation. A flash/light for each camera, particularly so that I can facetime in the dark (which right now means the other person can't see me).
  • Longer battery life.
  • Overall performance same or better than iPad 2 in all 2D applications and 3D applications running in "non-retina mode." Preferably better.
  • 1GB RAM, but any given individual app software-limited as if it was running on an iPad 2. This is because I don't want apps that require an iPad 3's additional memory. I instead want an iPad 3 that can better handle running/backgrounding multiple simultaneous apps.
  • I'd like to see the physical buttons re-arranged in a more usable configuration.
  • A speaker on each corner or side so that you get stereo audio regardless of orientation.
  • 32GB storage as the baseline instead of 16GB.
  • Lighter, if possible, but not at the expense of anything else.
  • Body colors. Like Nanos. Not just the bezel.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.