What do you expect from iPad 3 and iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ThatsMeRight, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

So, more and rumours about the iPad 3 are appearing as we speak. All big tech-sites are convinced that the iPad 3 will launch in March or at the earliest in late February.

No one is really sure about the announcement of the third generation iPad: rumours are ranging from early February to somewhere in March. So, if we assume that the third generation iPad will be announced in February, the first possible date is Wednesday February 1st. This means that in reality, Apple could send out media event invitations starting from this week.

So, now my real question to you is: What do you expect from the third generation iPad?
    And my second question: What do you expect from iOS 6? (most likely to be released in Summer or Autumn 2012).

I think iPad 3 will be an important upgrade from iPad 2, but even more important will be iOS 6: what will it bring us, and what will it bring iPad?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    What I expect

Third generation iPad
    I expect the iPad 3 to be a huge upgrade over iPad 2. First of all, there will be a 'retina display': a display with four times the resolution of the iPad 2, 2048 by 1536 pixels - reaching an astonishing 264 pixels per inch on a 9.7" display.

I also expect the iPad 3 to feature a quad-core processor based on the current Cortex A9 architecture used in the A5, but produced at a 32nm production line (instead of a 45nm production line). More powerful, yet more energy-efficient. So, why do I expect the iPad 3 to feature a quad-core processor? Two reasons: there are lots of rumours about the A6 chip, and most are indicating that the A6 chip will be a quad-core processor. Secondly, Apple is supporting up to four cores in iOS 5.1. The fact that Apple builds support for four cores doesn't necessarily mean that the A6 chip will actually feature a quad-core processor, but I think that - in combination with all these rumours - they will.

RAM wise I expect 1 GB. First of all, a retina display just requires more RAM. Secondly, it would be a waste if the quad-core processor would be limited by the amount of RAM. And besides that, what about iOS 6? I think Apple will surprise us with iOS 6, and I hope they go for optimal performance.

GPU wise? I seriously don't know. Apple could decide to keep using the same GPU as in the iPad 2. I hear you thinking: "Unlikely." - Well, think about it. Apple did the same with the iPhone 4: the iPhone 4 had to push four times as many pixels as the iPhone 3GS, yet they both had the same GPU.
    It's also possible they go for a quad-core GPU (the A5 chip is using a dual-core GPU) to improve performance. The third possibility is that they are going to use a GPU based on the PowerVR 6-series (instead of the PowerVR 5-series). It's unlikely, but not impossible.

Design wise? There is really no way to tell. In the past two months, I've seen three rumours: a thinner design, the same design with the same thickness and a slightly thicker iPad with the same design - and all these rumours are based on prototypes dating back around June 2011.
    It is very well possible they keep the same design. It's also very well possible the iPad 3 will have a brand new design. It's also possible they keep the same design, but are going to use something else than aluminium (which would basically mean that the iPad 3 gets a new design, yet it doesn't).
    As for now, I'm assuming the iPad 3 will get the same design as the iPad 2 yet slightly thicker - this way I won't be disappointed.

GLONASS and bluetooth 4.0. This seems like a no-brainer to me. iPad 3 will support GLONASS next to GPS, and bluetooth 2.1 will be replaced with bluetooth 4.0.

Camera upgrades? The current iPad 2 cameras are really terrible, and pictures look really pixelated. If the iPad 3 does get a retina display, than they just must upgrade the cameras - otherwise all pictures will look even worse. I expect FaceTime HD for the front facing camera (just like on the Macs), and expect an improved rear-camera.

Storage upgrade? I'm not really expecting anything here, but I could only hope that Apple is going to double the storage: $499 32 GB, $599 64 GB and $699 128 GB. If the iPad 3 gets a retina display and better cameras, which will result in bigger pictures (and thus bigger file sizes), bigger application sizes and bigger movie sizes (because now you put Full HD movies on your iPad) than a 16 GB model would be just too little.

The LTE rumour: I don't expect LTE support. LTE is only supported in very small parts of the world. Sure, the United States has a decent LTE network, but remember: how many people will be buying the 3G/4G model? And how many of those people will be on Verizon's LTE network? And if AT&T is supported, how many on AT&T's network? And how many will choose for LTE if 3G is cheaper? Adding LTE would only mean adding extra weight and costs, and only a very small part of the public will actually use it.

iOS 6
    I just don't know what to expect. I hope iOS 6 for iPad will be more focused on the bigger screen. Look at the multitasking bar: only the very bottom part is used.

I'm hoping for some design changes: I'm not asking for a huge overhaul, but I'm just asking to give iOS some new clothes.

I also hope iOS 6 will be more focused on the tablet-experience. More specifically: springboard and the lockscreen. The apps and the bigger screen size are the only things that are different from the iPhone. The lockscreen and springboard are just enlarged: I bet Apple could do better here. :)

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Agree with a lot you said- except I am doubting that it will be quad core.
    I think you were dead on when you expected BT 4 though.

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I expect revamped maps app for its 6 with built in native turn by turn directions.

4. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

It'll have a new screen, FaceTime HD and that's it.

5. hurricanes305 macrumors newbie

i have a weird feeling people are going to be let down (ie. iphone 4s) when the ipad3 comes out. i sure hope not!

6. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Improved specs almost seems a given, but given that the 4s only had very modest improvements...

I hope to see at least quad-core and 1 gb ram, though I am not sure if we need a 128gb option for taking advantage of that e-textbook offering.

The thing is, I would like the ipad to have at least 1 new revolutionary feature that will go on to redefine the tablet industry (just like what the first ipad did). To me, retina display doesn't count, it would make the ipad be more like ipad2s instead. A feature to have, but not enough to push it into ipad3 category.

7. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

I reckon you're right...

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Unified CDMA + GSM model. So I can use Verizon in the States and a foreign SIM when I'm abroad.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would LIKE to be able to set up folder and a file system to keep files/documents on my iPad 3.

I EXPECT that Apple will not EVER let me do it.

10. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

I've been feeling this way since iPhone 3G... :(

Though i do hold out hope that they will permit a metatagging gesture/function on just about any piece of data in the system. That way when i want to browse all the email, docs, images, spreadsheets related to a project, i just search on the tag. I suspect it'll be coverflow swishy appear as a result of a spotlight search and include further gestures for sharing said content with other iPhones/iPads & Macs.

Maybe i just spend too much time on www.patentlyapple.com :rolleyes:

11. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Apple needs to ditch the Fisher Price file system, because it makes the iPad useless as a productivity tool. If Tim Cook thinks that people are too dumb to grasp such a "complicated" concept at least give us a central documents folder that apps can use to share files instead of copying the same file over and over when attempting to use multiple apps. Frankly the fact that it's impossible to attach a file from a mail app is pretty absurd in my book.

12. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The third iPad will not launch with iOS 6 installed even though it looks like a lot would believe otherwise. But I do agree wtih 6.X.X taking advantage of the iPad 3 over iOS 5.X.X.

13. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Ios 6

I have my doubts as to whether we will see IOS 6 this year

14. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

My thought for now - what's A6 going to be?

To me one interesting thing is, if the Retina rumor is true, this is the first year the resolution of iPad will be completely different from that of iPhone/iPod Touch. Before it made sense to have the same GPU for iPad and iPhone because the resolution was close enough given that the processor on iPad was clocked faster.

Now it's different. The new iPad will allegedly have a lot more pixel to push than iPhone does. If A6 gets a new faster GPU, it could be considered an overkill for the iPhone as the GPU will take a huge chunk of the A6 chip and drive up the cost. Which does make me wonder if Apple will try to diversify the chip line a bit.

Then again, Apple might just ignore the cost hike and go with a faster GPU anyhow just as they did with A5 which was way ahead of competition in terms of GPU and perhaps even a bit of an overkill.

If they are going Retina, I'd imagine 1G of RAM is essential but more RAM also means more battery drain. At this point I'm wondering if Apple is considering sticking with a dual core A9 chip with a higher clockspeed. A15 core is probably a bit further away.

I'm sure the file exchange system is one area they are looking at, and I'd guess they'll have inter-app file repository as well as something similar to AirDrop of OSX Lion, which will be a great feature to have. However I don't think they will give up the iOS simple file system - Apple will drag the existing users kicking&screaming into the new way of doing things like Apple usually do.

The easy guess for iOS, and a pretty much guaranteed improvement at some point is a new map app, probably with some sort of navigation built in. Also some improvement with Siri will also be nice.

However map by itself probably isn't enough as a single headline feature. I wonder what more they have in the store?

15. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Why would you think that? There has been a new OS every year since the first iPhone. I would not expect that to change anytime soon.

I think iOS6 is going to be a major revision with a UI big overhaul and I think it will be more dark like the info menu for Siri.

16. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

17. chuges macrumors member

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple implemented a lot of the improvements you listed...the iPad is becoming their bread and butter and I think they're going to work hard to maintain their market dominance. I also think they're pushing the ipad as the "way of the future" to one day replace laptops as people's main method of computing, so they're going to want to push it ahead of everything as quickly as possible.

I don't think the next ipad is going to go the path of the 4s...i think it's too important a market for them to not want to wow consumers as best they can. Plus they probably want to have a really powerful product release to help their company image after about a year of successful but lukewarm presentations...i'm not saying the 4s isn't successful, but apple got lots of initial criticism for not impressing people enough. And I know thickness is really important to apple, but the current ipad is already so thin that I think it's possibly they would sacrifice a few mm to allow for more features or a bigger battery. At a certain point, it doesn't make sense to shave off depth for the sake of bragging rights or number comparison - adding useful features is more important than an .3 mm, imo, and i think most people wouldn't notice a difference like that.

re: iOS, the multitasking screen is a place with lots of potential as you said. instead of keeping only the bottom part functional (which looks like they just tacked it on instead of making it really integrated with the os), they should make the whole double-tap screen available for widgets, info or setting shortcuts, kind of like dashboard on osX. I also think they should move the music and airplay controls from the multitasking bar (which you have to swipe several times to access) to this dashboard screen to make everything more seamless and integrated. This applies to iphone as well, obviously.

I don't think this will ever happen, but it would be cool if iOS 6 allowed you to snap 2 apps side by side when in landscape mode so you would be able to access information/use them both much more quickly.

18. delToros macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Retina, cpu, gpu, ram, cams, siri, lte..

Don't you think it is to much as always.

Every time everyone expect A LOT from new idevice and later become disappointed.

Ok, maybe retina-gpu-cpu is kinda one update. I really doubt about ram, lte and storage - it is too much for apple.

Ipad 3 will have siri. I think it could be "one more thing". They upgrade it from beta (it is time). They will have more languages+ibook2/itunesU support+ipad2-3 compatible (but not ipad1).

Cams.. Well it is "most likely", but not for sure

19. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

A Higher res screen and a Quad core is the least amounts of improvement i would like to see, anything less and I might go Android, the upcoming Asus A700t with Android 4.0 is looking mighty impressive.

20. rovex macrumors 65816

Launchpad. The swipe-to-switch app doesnt cut the mustard presently for me.

21. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

By Launchpad do you mean the Launchpad feature in OSX Lion? If so... that's been in iOS right from the start it's called the home screen...

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I purchased the 64gb 3G model and have nothing to to use it for. I use Drop Box but there are time I have no WiFi available and I do not need/want a full time 3G connection.

What is Apple's problem that they can not give us a document folder. They allow pictures, music, apps but no user file system for us!

If you JB the iPad, does that allow you to store documents?:confused:

"Fisher Price", that IS funny!:p

23. ThatsMeRight thread starter macrumors 68020

GPU, CPU and RAM is one upgrade: the A6 chip.
    High resolution display is the second upgrade.

LTE seems unlikely: only one source reported it and only very few people will actually make use of it.
    I don't think it will have Siri, but it is not impossible. Why not? Simply because the current iPads don't have Voice Control (like found on the 3GS and 4).

24. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

One thing that I would REALLY like to see is a USB port. That, and a file system that actually allows us to create folders and manage files would be great. I love my 64GB wifi only iPad2 but there are so many things you CAN'T do.

I have an iPhone so I don't want another contract for 3G....Its pointless. Better camera is a must, higher capacity? Well, I have not managed to fill my 64 up completely as yet, so that may remain the max...

With the rumoured retina display, a larger amount of GPU grunt would certainly be required....Look at what's been achieved with just 512... So a 1GB graphics subsystem would seem likely.

Bottom line? We will have to wait and see!

25. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

Possibly thunderbolt connectivity in the future? If it ever catches on.