What do you expect to see from new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phillyfan9090, Aug 1, 2013.

1. phillyfan9090 macrumors member

For me, I'd like to see better graphics chip (obviously) for the 13", maybe a color option of silver or black, quad core, being able to upgrade interior components yourself again, improved cameras, more USB ports. Many people want the fingerprint sensor, but I'd rather see higher specs than that.

I just wanted to see what you guys predict with the new Haswell Macbook pro.
    What specs should we expect? Do you think they would do an all black Macbook Pro? Release date expectations (before predicted October launch?) Do you think this will be a huge improvement for MBPs and complete overhaul?

2. mslide macrumors 6502a

Aside from the upgrade to Haswell itself and a minor discrete GPU bump for the models that have them, I expect them to be virtually the same as they are now.

3. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Possible IGZO display and Thunderbolt 2.
    Likely to be slightly thinner, to match the height of the 15" rMBP.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

5. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

I expect them to mirror what they did on the Air. Just better battery life and increase pricing.

6. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

i don't think the price increased with the air. if anything they were lowered, considering the new base configurations.

7. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

They're definitely not going to do black. Good luck with more USB ports, and upgradeable components. It will be just as the 15'' retina is now. You might expect for quad core to become standard in the 13'' but I kinda doubt it. I don't think the finger print scanner is even a guaranteed feature on any product of theirs yet. The company has been bought, and patent filed, but they could very easily still be working on it, and have it halfway through the year, or next year. I personally think it'll come out though, but if so, on the iPhone first.

You can expect the Haswell CPU, Camera bump (1080p), for the 13'' the same design as the 15'' (ports included), and then bump to HD 5000, and either Iris pro for the 15'', or actually a decent dGPU this time around (780M or so). I honestly don't expect too much more than that, but if so that'd be cool.

Edit: The reason why it'll come out on the iPhone first is because (besides all the rumors only mentioning it for the iPhone), NFC is likely to be a big culprit to making that useful, for mobile payments. Because mobile payments drives lots of revenue, right back into their pockets lol.

8. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Things I'm certain it will have:
    • PCIe based SSD Stick
    • 802.11ac Networking
    • Haswell Processor

Things I hope it will have:
    • Longer battery life
    • Thunderbolt 2.0
    • Dedicated GPU

Things I wish would happen but won't:
    • Upgrade the 15" Retina MBP panel to 3840 x 2160 pixels
    • Bring back the 17" in Retina form!

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I hope you're kidding about the 780M.

10. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Lol you're right, I need to keep myself in check. This is apple after all. Wishful thinking :rolleyes:

11. leman macrumors 604

That has nothing to do with Apple. That GPU has a TDP comparable with the total power consumption of a 15" MBP. If you want to blame someone, blame Nvidia for releasing a 100W laptop part :p

12. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Lol yeah I really doubt it would be possible to do with the MBP, as it's extremely cramped already. But true, I usually don't look at exactly how realistic it is. I just see "M" and I'm like Ohhh, possibility :D

13. Memole macrumors member

Whats going to happen on next rMBP 15"

• PCIe SSD
    • WiFi AC networking
    • Iris Pro iGPU
    • Haswell Processor
    • Fixed Screens without IR

What i would like to see on realistic update but it wont happen as we know its Apple after all

• Black Alu rMBP
    • Better Battery Life
    • Option to buy iGPU only or combo iGPU + dGPU
    • Thunderbolt 2
    • Lower Price haha ( no way that gonna happen :p )

and something personal i would like to happen but thats more a fantasy than any reality in apple world

• Better Cooling
    • Workstation MBP
    • Workstation GPU option
    • IGZO display
    • Bringing back MBP 17" with IPS or Retina display
    • more USB ports
    • and to bring it back user replaceable MBP

14. MovieGuy34 macrumors member

Is there any chance they could add an option for a 1TB SSD in the 13.3 inch Macbook Pro R?

15. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I wouldn't be surprised to see the classic MBP disappear. Sad, if so.

16. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Since apple cannot add a security slot because of rMBP anorexia, then I would like to have one of those embedded in the CPU or motherboard:
    RFID
    NFC
    GPS
    All these technologies could help locate your stolen rMBP... :D

17. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

Thunderbolt 2,Discrete Gpu ( BTO at least ) , Retina , no lags ( so a very good D-Gpu)
    and for the 13 a Quad ( BTO at least ).

18. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

19. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

ssd like air, processor bump, new graphic card. I expect to have a better dGPU in 13 respect to air otherwise product differentiation will lack

20. B... macrumors 68000

B...

There is no dGPU in the 13", nor will there be.

21. duervo, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

My list looks similar, except I would say there's probably a chance of the 17" making a comeback, so it would be bumped to the middle items.

I'm also certain the battery life will be better, so that item would go in my list of things that it will have. In fact, I suspect that it will be one of the key features that Apple's Marketing team will tout when it's announced.

I also suspect that Thunderbolt 2.0 won't be in a MBP until probably next year, so that one will be demoted to the bottom. Mac Pro will be the only one with it at first, and I suspect supplies to be constrained at first because of it. However, it would be a pleasant surprise if I'm wrong on that one.

Incidentally, the PCIe SSD is the one thing I look forward to the most out of the whole, with battery life a close second.

Hopefully, especially if they change manufacturers. The one currently doing the building doesn't give the attention to detail required to do it properly.

22. token787 macrumors regular

token787

23. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

I've read that they will come with Iris Pro HD 5200, not sure if the MBP 15" will come with a dedicated GPU or not. If no, then I'll just buy the 13", what's the purpose of wasting several hundred of ££ for something that has similar spec?

24. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

It would really be a hoot if Apple just refreshed the IMAC and put off the MBP for the spring.

25. Vanilla35, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Any updates to people's perspectives regarding the iGPU vs. dGPU. I know 5200 is going to be way better than Intel's 5000 graphics, but I just looked at the 5000 and in comparison to the 650M it just looks god awful.

Comparing 5200 to 650M looks very similar when running low-medium settings for game fps, but as soon as you turn it to high, fps also goes to crap, compared to the 650M. With that comparison though I wouldn't be surprised with apple replacing the dGPU for it. Sad to say. The computer could be much more powerful with an updated dGPU instead. Not just for gaming.