Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I assumed most MBP users are either Video editors/makers and/or digital artists. Since I always hear how MBP is great for video production and digital artists.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I assumed most MBP users are either Video editors/makers and/or digital artists. Since I always hear how MBP is great for video production and digital artists.
People use computers for all kinds of reasons. It's not at all limited to those uses you mentioned. People use Macs for the same reasons they use other PCs.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
People use computers for all kinds of reasons. It's not at all limited to those uses you mentioned. People use Macs for the same reasons they use other PCs.

Though I am thinking maybe that OSX is an O.S that is cater to media production.

I know Mac can do much more that the reasons I listed above, but... I mean I definitely don't use my MBP to game. I have the 2010 variant and that thing can probably boil eggs if I game on it for a prolonged period of time.

What do you usually do on your MBP? Specific programs?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
GGJstudios is right.

I don't do video editing of any kind.

I bought a Mac simply because I wanted one and felt it would be the better system to get me through college. I edit Office documents, work on graduate and personal work with Scrivener, browse the web, email, track my schedule, run Windows via VMWare, listen to music, watch videos, pretty much just manage my life.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
GGJstudios is right.

I don't do video editing of any kind.

I bought a Mac simply because I wanted one and felt it would be the better system to get me through college. I edit Office documents, work on graduate and personal work with Scrivener, browse the web, email, track my schedule, run Windows via VMWare, listen to music, watch videos, pretty much just manage my life.

Interesting. Times have changed. I haven't been keeping up with Mac users, but back when I heard of the word OSX. It was mostly geared towards artists.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Process aerial imagery. But I needed even more power, ram and storage so I now have a dual Xeon workstation with double everything.

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
Though I am thinking maybe that OSX is an O.S that is cater to media production.

I know Mac can do much more that the reasons I listed above, but... I mean I definitely don't use my MBP to game. I have the 2010 variant and that thing can probably boil eggs if I game on it for a prolonged period of time.

I definitely use mine for gaming. Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, counter strike play without issue.
It's not going to explode. They are made to run at a certain temperature and maintain that temp under load provided you don't block cooling intake/exhaust.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
iOS Development - the 15" display is a wonder to look at for coding, and utilising the scaled resolutions is superb for fitting more on screen. Probably don't fully use all of the power (2.5 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, GT 750M) that's on offer, but this machine takes everything I throw at it and doesn't seem to break sweat.

Best computer I've ever owned.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Interesting. Times have changed. I haven't been keeping up with Mac users, but back when I heard of the word OSX. It was mostly geared towards artists.

Thats a very very odd view. I bought my MBP for taking down notes, running Ubuntu in VM, some light Xcode learning, video watching, music listening downloading stuff and gaming.

Nothing I do is related to editing of any sort.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
My rMBP is my only computer. The heaviest duty work I go on it is editing photos in Lr and plugins.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Primarily I use it for web browsing and email.

I'd rather have a MBA, but there aren't any 15" ones and I wanted the larger screen.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Surf the net. I know, I know it's overkill but what the hell I'm 63 years old and I like sitting in my recliner and surfing the net while watching,listening to the television. I got tired of holding the iPad air and the Pro has that big 15.4" retina screen. You only live once.:)

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

iTunes, Minecraft, Pages, Keynote, Virtual Box, COD, Team fortress 2, DOTA 2, LoL, Borderlands 2, Safari, Chrome, Opera, Calendar, Aperture, Minecraft Server, Terminal, Skype, Steam, Readkit

All apps that are mentioned are launched at least once over the day.

----------

Surf the net. I know, I know it's overkill but what the hell I'm 63 years old and I like sitting in my recliner and surfing the net while watching,listening to the television. I got tired of holding the iPad air and the Pro has that big 15.4" retina screen. You only live once.:)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Make it stop!

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Thats a very very odd view. I bought my MBP for taking down notes, running Ubuntu in VM, some light Xcode learning, video watching, music listening downloading stuff and gaming.

Nothing I do is related to editing of any sort.

Why did you specifically go mac instead of Windows?

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Why did you specifically go mac instead of Windows?

Because I dislike the aesthetics of Windows, I don't like the whole Virus problem that my past laptops had, I find the MBP in general to be just better e.g. Trackpad, keyboard, weight, thinness, battery is insane for my MBP(around 10 hours) it works way better with my iPad, Much more useful software I've found on OSX.

In saying that, the Razer Blade seems to be an awesome alternative.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Browsing, gaming (e.g., minecraft, prison architect), iTunes etc.
When I switched to a Mac, my software option was vista or staying on xp for $100 more. I was sick and tired of windows and wanted better.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Produce music.

I mainly produce music for film, theatre and dance companies, as well as for my own albums. Both electronica and acoustic projects. I also produce photo art. Watch movies online, facetime, email, write, blog, forums and wifi.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
My main use for my MBP now is to download TV shows since I got rid of cable. Half the time it is plugged in as I am either downloading or streaming to my Apple TV. When it's not plugged in, I use it mostly for surfing or document creation.

Once or twice a year I do some video editing.

And it is also the iTunes hub for 3 iPads, 2 iPods and an iPhone.

To be honest, because it is plugged in most of the time and because I have an iPad, I should have opted for an iMac instead of a rMBP. Almost all of my day-to-day stuff I do on my iPad.

Live and learn I guess :)

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
Browse the internet, chat on steam, and use imessage. Sometimes I play games. Also use unity and xcode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.