What do you guys do with your ExpressCard/34 slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikeinternet, Jan 5, 2009.

1. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I just got a macbook pro, and i'm curious what to do with the ExpressCard/34 slot. seems like i should get some use out of it.

-apple mentions a cellular 3g card but i'm not into any more monthly data fees.

- i found out about an hd tv tuner that can use it.

- and i pretty sure i can expand ports with it. (would they be just as fast as the built in ports?)

SO... what do you guys do with it?

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

3. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Haven't done anything with it yet, but some album projects I've got coming up this next summer may require me to get an eSata card for super fast external harddrive access.

4. mikeinternet thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

so a eSata drive through the ExpressCard/34 slot would be faster than a FW800 drive? I'm using this for protools and was looking forward to bumping up to 800 from 400.

5. romanaz macrumors regular

romanaz

I swap out a eSata card and a sdhc card reader. Just couldn't stand how slow a USB card reader was.

6. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

The eSata spec speed-wise is exactly the same as normal SATA, so you'll get massive speed, faster than FW800. For the ultimate MacBook Pro ProTools rig, it would be fantastic. If you're using a Firewire interface, it also leaves the FW controller to do only audio, which I believe is a good idea when dealing with a whole bunch of 24/96 tracks going in and out.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I leave mine empty because i need every milimeter of free space inside my MBP for cooling :p

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I wonder if anyone has made a small cooling fan to fit in there?

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

no doubt theres some factory in china knocking them out, the thing ive learned with express card devices is that if you get them cheap they'll mess with your mac, and im not joking, because they've got direct access to your motherboard, and the cheaper devices arnt self power regulating.

10. felt. macrumors 6502a

I stick my finger in it to make sure the spring loaded mechanism is still fully functional, other than that, nothing.

11. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Have a high-speed CF reader in there, enables me to move photos from my 32Gb & 64Gb CFcard with ease :D
    An EOS 1Ds mkIII creates fairly seizable raw files compared to a 40D which are tiny.... :)

13. stuarthatto macrumors regular

UltraNEO which CF card reader do you have?? I cant find an expresscard one

EDIT: No worries I did a better search and found one!

14. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

15. minijon macrumors member

Another Vote for eSata. It should be built into a Pro machine anyway, especially one for Audio/Video editing.

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Only problem with eSATA with the ExpressCard slot is that you can't boot from it. I was thinking of getting a 4 channel soundcard for mine, but am now unsure what the longterm future of my MBP will be, whether I'll sell it or eventually turn it into a home server of sorts.

17. dal20402 macrumors 6502

You can if you have 1) a Santa Rosa or later MBP and 2) a JMicron-based eSATA ExpressCard.

My Early 2008 MBP is at this very moment booted from a Samsung 750GB HD connected to a PPA 1172 eSATA ExpressCard.

I've been experimenting with this setup for a few weeks, but I'm still not convinced it's wise, mostly because the physical hardware of both eSATA and ExpressCard is so delicate and finicky. Already, I've had one hard system hang which console logs showed was attributable to the eSATA card. Fortunately, the only damage was a corrupted Mail database which I rebuilt.

The physical delicacy of eSATA is one reason it would be unwise for Apple to adopt it in place of FireWire, the other reason being the one-drive-per-slot limit. I hope USB 3 will perform sufficiently well to be a viable FW replacement.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Be careful, not all of them support cards bigger than 8GB!!

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Really? That's news to my ears. Thanks. :)

As you say though, I still wouldn't like to entrust my boot drive to it for various reasons including reported problems with the card coming out at the slightest of knocks.

20. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

faster than 800 yes, but not massively. Transfering from internal->esata or viceversa, I get roughly 75MB/s vs my FW800 getting about 50 (thats with a 2.5 HD also).

Now esata to esata, i see constant 100MB/s, thats massive.

21. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Cool, thanks for some actual usage numbers. Which eSata card do you have and what kind of reliability have you experienced? (in terms of bumping it etc as has been mentioned in this thread)

22. mikeinternet thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

sounds like i'll eventually be going with esata.

23. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

its labeled "Dynex" from Bestbuy. It is the same card on newegg by Rosewill though. 34$

24. CTechKid macrumors regular

I have a 2 port USB 2.0 expresscard in there. :apple:

25. RKpro macrumors 6502