what do you guys think?Western digital or Maxtor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by juanster, Apr 26, 2007.

1. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i am planning on buying an internal hard drive, get an enclosure and use this to store all the movies that are already filling up my stock 80G HDD in my macbook. I went online and i have picked (because of the price)two HDD. one is a MAXTOR 200 GB 7200 Rpm and the other one is a WESTERN DIGITAL 200 GB 7200 Rpm, so they are pretty much exactly the same thing right? they are both going for 79 CAD, i will be purchasing this weekend... which one would you guys recommend?

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Maxtor, as they're now owned by Seagate. I don't know if they have the same warranty, but they're reliable.

3. juanster thread starter macrumors 68020

juanster

4. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

5. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Same for me. Maxtor although would choose Seagate above it.

6. Trogloxene macrumors regular

I've owned both and didn't notice a difference. Go for best price.

-T

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

What's with all the Seagate love?

I'm a bit of a Western Digital fan myself...

8. murfle macrumors regular

I've found throughout my history of dealing with hard drives (my first was 174 MB), and all the people I've talked to, it comes down to what brand works for you... I doubt there's any reason for it, but...

I personally have never had a Seagate or Maxtor die on me... I've had about 2 or 3 dead Western Digitals, my only fujitsu died, etc... etc... Yet others I've talked to have lost all their maxtors and/or seagates, but have never had a WD die... Seriously... its all about what brand you get along with... As long as its got the specs (7200rpm+, good read/write speeds, buffer size), get whatever is cheapest until you get that 'groove' with your brand ;)

9. reflex macrumors 6502a

I've had one Maxtor die on me, but that was in an enclosure and I probably didn't treat it well enough. I'm a big fan of Maxtor and (lately) Seagate. Quantum before that, but they were bought by Maxtor.

I've had a couple of WD harddisks die, but that's a long time ago. Still, I don't trust them anymore.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm a seagate fan if only because of the exceptional warranty ;) :D

11. Winterfell macrumors regular

I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon, but I have had (and still have) three Seagate 200Gb Barracuda drives that I use for storage and other unsavory activities, and it's going on four years now and haven't had a problem with any of them.

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, I have had nothing but great experiences with Seagate HDDs. :)

13. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Personally I would just go pricewise, or if they are similarly tagged.. then I would flip a coin. You will probably get a lot of responses between both brands and just like what the other said, it's all personal preference and experience. Good luck!

14. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

My HD brand preference runs like this:
    1. Seagate
    2. WD
    3. Hitachi
    4. Maxtor

I have had every type of drive die on me but Seagate but my WD's have lasted a long time.

15. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I've had 2 WDs die on me so I'd choose Maxtor or Hitachi over WD.

16. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Well, unless we have any reliable failure rates, this thread is useless.

Just buy whichever one is cheaper at the same feature set.

17. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

A couple months back, I did a google search on 'hard disk reliability', or something similar. I found a site that actually showed performance and failure rates for all of the various manufactures. It was even broken out by type and comparable sizes. Very informative.

18. speekez macrumors 6502

was the issue with Mac Pros and Seagate drives worked out? wasn't there some slow down performance/firmware issue? does this not affect the 500GB and 750GB Seagate drives?

19. Mundy macrumors regular

I've never had any problems with any of my Seagate or Western Digital drives.

Currently my Mac Pro has 4x Western Digital drives. They've all been fast, quiet, and reliable.

Basically, when it comes to Seagate and Western Digital, I just get whatever is the best deal.

Also, at the time I bought two of my WD drives for my Mac Pro, their RE2 "Near-Line" Enterprise drives were faster than anything Seagate offered. That might have changed in the past eight months.

20. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Another vote for Maxtor/Seagate.

I've always known them to build very good, durable, and reliable hardware. Wouldn't go any other way!

NickD

21. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Finally, a voice of reason! Just because someone has had good luck with one brand or another doesn't mean it's the best. Were talking about hundreds of thousands of drives that are sold per quarter. If you were to take your measly success and ran a statistic, it wouldn't amount to anything. For everyone who says they have had good luck with Seagate, you can find an equal number of people who can say the same thing about WD or any other manufacturer. For what it's worth, I've had more failures with Seagate than any other brand. Right now I'm on WD, but that's because I got a good deal!

Buy accord to price and features and cross your fingers. Your BEST way to insure you don't have a hard drive failure it to have backup drives for WHEN you do have failure.

22. SVG macrumors newbie

My list is very similar too. I know Seagate owns Maxtor now but I still don't like Maxtors. :D Between WD and Maxtor, I would still prefer WD.

23. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

I found the newer Seagate drives too loud. I would go with WD. Their 500GB drives are fantastic and the quietest on the market.

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'd go for the WD, because every single Maxtor I've had has died within a couple of years.

25. juanster thread starter macrumors 68020

juanster

thx a lot for the help guys, well they decided to bump the price up on the maxtor. soooo WD it is i will go get it tomorrow morning....again thx a lot