Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
How often do you go to places that don't have public WiFi/isn't in your keychain? Actuaries know for a fact it's less than 95% of the time. How? Most (note MOST) people do most (note most) of their traveling within 5 miles of home. Are there occasions where that isn't the case? Yup. About 5%. How much of your time is spent out of coverage (LTE/phone)? I bet it's close to the same.
Or do you really believe public businesses wouldn't be interested in something that draws customers to them?

The other problem I have is that requires letting Google mine my data. WHY do I need another provider when the correct and simpler answer is put the phone app on the iPad?

While I agree with you that it would be technically easy to add full phone functionality and Apple Watch support to a cellular iPad, and that would be useful for many people, the quoted parts of your post caught my eye.

In many cases free wifi is offered in order to do exactly the kind of data mining that you fear Google does. I recently watched a presentation by the CIO of a large shopping centre operator ar an event run by one of the big wireless networking vendors. The amount of information they get about people who use their free wireless is scary!

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
While I agree with you that it would be technically easy to add full phone functionality and Apple Watch support to a cellular iPad, and that would be useful for many people, the quoted parts of your post caught my eye.

In many cases free wifi is offered in order to do exactly the kind of data mining that you fear Google does. I recently watched a presentation by the CIO of a large shopping centre operator ar an event run by one of the big wireless networking vendors. The amount of information they get about people who use their free wireless is scary!
Three letters for you:

VPN

Don't leave home without them :)

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Three letters for you:

VPN

Don't leave home without them :)
I know what a VPN is, but the data gathering they do is not the actual data transmitted and received by your device, so isn't impacted by using a VPN. It's mostly about location information, so they can track where you go in the shopping centre. But if you sign into their app (which some places require you to do to get free wifi) then the tracking goes to a whole new level. I don't think all this is necessarily bad, just that sometimes, like with googles services, people don't think about what they are giving in exchange for what they are getting for "free."

techthusast

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2016
Writing (Evernote, Scrivener, Ulysses), editing photos (Photos, Pixelmator), managing my iCloud photo library, family slide shows (Keynote), banking(Credit Union app), printing, email, web browsing (thread different web browsers), buying/selling on eBay/Etsy/Amazon, Pages, Numbers, School work on-line(College), gaming (Gigs of games), streaming music (Apple Music), buying and watching movies/tv shows, creating and managing my to do lists, calendars, and reminders, navigation on trips (I have a 4G/LTE model), programming, design and layout, 3-D printing, terminal connections (secure CRT), amateur radio, training (technical and physical), messaging, digital books, podcasts

The easier approach is to explain why I still have a laptop....

Because I haven't sold it yet.

I have to say...that's a well stated reply kd5jos! Totally mystified by people asking this question given the enormity of the tablet market. Apple sold over 300,000 units on it's First Day back on April 3rd 2010 (6 years & 4 months ago). And some want to carry a laptop or a surface pro cradled in their arm...or do everything in the world on a smart phone. Over the years I've watched 3 daughters physically pinned under their laptops while doing homework on the sofa or a recliner chair, and now that they're all out of College...they try to live life on a smart phone and now complain about their eyes hurting all the time just from reading email or keeping up with social.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Well, not everyone has an Apple Watch, or even wants one, so there's that.

Are you familiar with straw man arguments? You are saying (in direct comparison) that people have iPhones because they want the device.

There is evidence that is wrong.

There is a cheaper device that does the same thing called an iPod. Why do people buy iPhones when iPods are cheaper?

The service. People buy the device for the service. So would people buy an Apple Watch for the service? Based on the available evidence I have a well reasoned argument that the answer is yes.

Second, apart from physical size, the iPad Pro 9.7 weighs 444g, the 6s+ is 192g.

So your argument supports my statement? I have to carry my iPad Pro (444g) plus my iPhone 6 (and a watch if I want to use the watch functions)

OR, I could carry just my iPad and the watch, and not carry the phone.

Which of those two configurations weighs less? I can do everything the phone can do on my iPad, plus more. So if I am choosing a device based on functionality (as I stated I was in my argument), I choose the iPad. Which is the basis of my argument.... Why should I be REQUIRED to haul more devices than necessary?

Or are you assuming everyone would get a Mini?

No, but as I showed, if they did, the math is even MORE in my favor.

Anyway, you're talking about needing a bag/purse/backpack with you wherever you go...

No, I'm not. I'm saying the opposite. By not having to carry an iPhone, I have an iPad in one hand and...??? Where is this REQUIREMENT for a backpack? Where am I going that a 9.7 inch 444 gram iPad is such an encumberment? I don't take my phone into theaters, I've been to one amusement park in a decade, and it had WiFi. I've been to national parks, historical monuments, the beach, forests, classrooms, work, hospitals.... 99% of my daily life with an iPad. Where is this mythical place that I will miss out on because I have an iPad instead of an iPhone?

Your claim is convenience. How convenient is it for me NOT to be able to do what I need to do? What I NEED to do isn't done on an iPhone. So why do I NEED to have an iPhone when the software for the phone functionality can be put on the iPad eliminating it from my pockets?

I don't see how this is a win.

Because based on the evidence you have no idea what you are talking about?

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I'm so confused. :(

They are so hooked on to their office computer and their iPhone the entire day, that there is no need left for them to again go online with the iPad in the night after they come back from work. And if At all the iPad's being used it is either by their kids who are using it to play games on their iPad that's about it ! They just use the iPad, that too occasionally, mind you occasionally to watch movies on it but that's about it for the iPad use.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Netflix, fiscal stuff, blogging on the go, tons of games & entertainment channels. Social media. I also do light photo editing with mine. Just send pics from my iPhone over & boom, editing time.

I use & enjoy my iPad a lot! I have a wonderful rMBP but carrying it with me to chemo sessions is bulky & weird. With my iPad Air 2 & iPhone getting my treatment is a lot easier :)

Last edited:
Reactions: boston04and07

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Netflix, fiscal stuff, blogging on the go, tons of games & entertainment channels. Social media. I also do light photo editing with mine. Just send pics from my iPhone over & boom, editing time.

I use & enjoy my iPad a lot! I have a wonderful rMBP but carrying it with me to chemo sessions is bulky & weird. With my iPad Air 2 & iPhone getting my treatment is a lot easier :)

And that really is it. Portability meets power. Take all of what makes a laptop useful, and drop it in a smaller form factor, that lasts longer without charging, that is easier to use. I'm to a point that I am seriously looking at selling my laptop and replacing it with a desktop.

Oh, and another thing, fark cancer, kick it's a$$. I've crawled through mud under live machine gun fire. And what you have to deal with makes that look like a walk in a park. To me, you're a hero.

Reactions: boston04and07

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Good luck with your treatment. I sometimes think Steve Jobs invented the iPad so he could have a device he could use while getting his treatments. ;)

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011
Good for medicine because you have to draw diagrams, graphs, or make mind maps half the time and type the other half.

I did wish there was a rugged keyboard and that it could be washed easily like a rubbery surface. The microfibre surface of the apple keyboard is a fomite.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Good luck with your treatment. I sometimes think Steve Jobs invented the iPad so he could have a device he could use while getting his treatments. ;)

Funny you should say that, my husband said the same thing! He isn't into Apple but even he is impressed with how much I can do with my devices & how much I use them :)
[doublepost=1472261153][/doublepost]
And that really is it. Portability meets power. Take all of what makes a laptop useful, and drop it in a smaller form factor, that lasts longer without charging, that is easier to use. I'm to a point that I am seriously looking at selling my laptop and replacing it with a desktop.

Oh, and another thing, fark cancer, kick it's a$$. I've crawled through mud under live machine gun fire. And what you have to deal with makes that look like a walk in a park. To me, you're a hero.

I would love a 27 inch iMac but even my tolerant husband has budget limits. I do have my 2014 rMBP which I use as a desktop replacement. Buying that felt indulgent as it was thought I might not live long enough to enjoy it. Thank goodness I got AppleCare as the 1 yr warranty was up in March :)

Thank you for the compliment but I just want to live, long enough to see maybe iPad Pro 25 :)

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
MindNode, Ai Writer, and Clear apps, for brainstorming, along with a drawing app to easily visualise a few things.

But primary as a Plex, Netflix, Youtube media consumer.

Additionally to do things like iMovie and Pinacle movie editing. And as a second camera during projects I work on, like timelapses, behind the scene stuff, etc.

Once in a while I go to a coffee place and spend an hour writing, or going through emails, or chatting with people through iMsg, Skype, etc.

And all that when I am not using it for FaceTime (video).

It has replaced a lot of my computer needs, including remote ssh to manage some vps accounts, as well as web development (quick updates to fix typos, updates to issues with php files, etc) or some dynamic content creation, icon creation, etc.

Reactions: Kristine

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
I have replaced legal pads (with Notability) and paper files/binders (PDF Expert 5) for my legal practice. I love having what used to require a rolling trial bag in my 9.7" IPP. I also have a 12" MacBook. The two devices work together perfectly for my workflow.

Of course, I also use my iPad for browsing, drawing, Netflix, etc.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I use my iPad mini 2 for browsing, emails, note taking, games, media consumption, and occasional Word/Excel/Powerpoint editing on-the-go.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have replaced legal pads (with Notability) and paper files/binders (PDF Expert 5) for my legal practice.

I love how you said that because it's the same for me. Gone are the days of printing several hundred pages of PDFs and brining pens and highlighters with me to lose. I save all my class documents in Dropbox, read and annotate the PDFs in PDF Expert, and use Notability for notes and a pad and paper.

When working solutions to accounting problems to post online for my students, I used to hand write them in a spiral notebook, scan them, and upload to Canvas. Now I have downloaded a basic 8.5 X 11 college ruled PDF template, open it in notability and write with the Apple Pencil just like normal. I then open it in PDF Expert and export it as a flattened document as I upload it to Canvas.

It's paperless, quicker (because I don't have to scan each page), and more efficient because I can change pen color and highlight on the fly as I work the problems without ever changing tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.