What do you like about Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chowmein, May 6, 2009.

1. chowmein macrumors member

I've never been much of a Firefox fan. I think it feels too much like a Windows app, it's not as integrated into OS X as Safari and, in my opinion, it hasn't been as fast as Safari. I have to give it props for having add-ons and extensions but it creates a lot of security problems and conflicts with other extensions. I don't understand why so many people like Firefox so I just want to ask: Why do all of you like Firefox?

2. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Yeah, it has a lot of extensions which a lot of people value highly. Personally, I don't miss the extensions in either Safari or SeaMonkey. Firefox to me just feels "heavy" and non-agile, and has a Windows look to it. I haven't bothered to install it on my new MBP.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Why do you feel extensions create security problems? I use some extensions to increase security such as AdBlock and NoScript. Extensions are the main reason I use Firefox over Safari, plus there's a few sites that don't work as well with Safari. I use a number of web development extensions like Firebug and the Web Developer toolbar plus fun ones like Stylish that let me style web sites. Other browsers can't do all of this.

I've got nothing against Safari, or Camino, or Opera, I just like Firefox because it does what I need and Safari and others don't.

4. chowmein thread starter macrumors member

These extensions may create a lot of conflicts with each other or with Firefox itself, causing Firefox to work in erratic ways. (I guess this probably only applies if you use a whole bunch of extensions.)

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Mine looks just like Safari! :)

I love Firefox, because I have it pipelined, so it loads web pages faster.

Attached Files:

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

So you're basing your judgments off that an extension may or might cause a conflict? That's a little lame. There could be some conflicts, but the Mozilla team does a pretty good job checking to make sure extensions are of decent quality and conflicts are a very rare occurrence and shouldn't be a reason for not using them. I currently have 22 extensions installed without issue and it feels just as fast as Safari (my experience, not everyone's). The AdBlock and NoScript helps speed page loads in my experience.

7. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Funny you should mention AdBlock and NoScript. Well, AdBlock Plus and NoScript. Turns out that the devs of these two very popular extensions spent the past few weeks fighting a secret little war. Altering the function of each other's extensions/sites. Gives me a warm fuzzy.

8. chowmein thread starter macrumors member

Just because you don't see or experience any bugs doesn't mean that they're not crawling around somewhere in Firefox.

9. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It's so customisable and seems to be universally compatible with every page I've ever visited.

Also, you can install NoScript and kiss goodbye to those web2.0 pop up windows. :D

On the downside, a large bookmarks library and the menu's are sluggish unless you can successfully rid it of icons for every page.

Translation: Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

why I like firefox?

it offers more functions out of box
    • dropdown url history list
    • multiple password remembering for same webpage
    • allow me to designate downlaoded files to different folders
    • single window mode without willynilly holding extra keys
    • awesome bar far superior than anything out in the market now in helping me reach the website, it save more time than you imagine
    • FAYT, so much easier
    • advanced download manager
    • superior ftp protocol handling
    • comprehensive security warning against malicious websites
    • per site memory full page zoom
    • website notification bar, rather than pop up window, don't you feel bad when forced to choose to remember a password or not before you can be sure its correct?
    • automatic update, with user consent, there are 85% of firefox users are using latest version thus getting protected against latest security threat. Less than 53% of safari users is using latest safari, and only 23% of opera users are up to date.
    • search field with customizable, discoverable search engine
    • urlbar color designation for different security websites, much easier to know if your transaction is safe.
    superior memory management

Firefox uses less memory than any other browser out there, especially for longer period of browsing.

Of course addons system
    • mice gestures allow users to operate browser by just slide mice for a short distance, you think safari's trackpad gesture is interesting?
    • adblock+, still the best
    • foxtab, can I say the UI of safari's top site looks awfully similar to this almost one year old addon?
    • WOT, you can't be wrong with more security help
    • fireftp, thats a nearly full featured ftp client right there.
    • autodial, most visited websites, with no useless stuff, just pure valiable space to give you more content
    • ubiquity, only have 1 second to check weather? do that with ubiquity. talk about speed.
    • Twitter tools (multiple) tweet right from your urlbar.
    • locationbar^2, easy jump among different levels of a website
    • fireshot, grab screen, annotation. all in one

of course there are pros and cons and each individual has their own situation, thats why there are 7000+ addons out there.

bull, you either show me the evidence or just admit your are making things up. for your logic, i can say:

just because you dont experience viruses with OSX,, doesn't mean they are not crawling around somewhere in OSX

just because you don't experience safari's bug, doesn't mean they are not there.

just because you dont......

what a useless thing to say. don't even pretend to care about evidence and facts any more?

I have no problem with you liking whatever browser you like, but to accuse other product without even trying to understand it, sorry I do have a problem with that.

You want to ask other people's opinion about why they like firefox? how about not start with a bashing first?

11. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I've been using these products basically since the Netscape was originally known as Mosaic in the mid-90's ;)

Every so often I'd try something different to see if anything was better, but I just always felt Netscape -> Mozilla -> Firefox just had better web standards, worked on more websites more consistently, and now with Firefox, has the largest selection of great plugins, best security features, and the gecko rendering engine is still fast.

I really wanted to like Camino, and it looks great, is small and fast, but the lack of customization and wealth of plugins (despite the "Pimp my Camino" website), just killed it for me, unfortunately.

Safari looks nice, but there's just nothing special about it for me - it looks fairly generic, and the only really neat feature I would ever possibly use on it is the webclips, which isn't enough reason to use it regularly.

12. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Wow man, NCSA Mosaic. We've come a long way. I still remember the first moment I was exposed to the WWW. June, 1994, USNA. There wasn't much of a web then, but it was still pretty damn cool. Firefox has come a long way since.

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Customization and stability. That, and I got used to it over on the Windows side before I switched.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It also turns out that both of them got over it, and the extensions are no longer trying to sabotage one another. This incident has prompted discussion of revamping Mozilla's policy on extension behavior so it won't happen again.

Yeah, but in an open-source community as large as Mozilla's (with Google as a rather intelligent private investor), this is not the norm. If bugs get found, they get fixed.

Oh- I use Firefox. I can't stand how I can't just type in "macrumors" in Safari and it tells me it can't find the server.

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

History -> recently closed tabs -> pick one. That and the extensions you can get. Session Manager et al

Wish Safari had this.

16. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Too bad that Firefox does not tag downloads with website information.

Firefox prides itself on security but with Firefox for OS X there is just this one thing that I dislike. Camino tags them just fine however. I would love Firefox forever if they just incorporated that tag feature where it gives me a dialog saying "Firefox downloaded this file from manytricks.com" and a button that says "Show Web Page" THEN I would feel even more secure using Firefox.

I do love Firefox for its extensions however. Such as, StumbleUpon, AdBlock Plus, Stylish.

But its true with extensions and the functionality or looks of Firefox. The recent Stylish added a big logo in the Addons manager on its button making things look crazy(saw it in a screenshot on mozillazine forums). And try using Delicious extension from Yahoo and notice how your Bookmarks manager get a little wonky(the back/forward buttons for instance), the same with your Preferences window when using the same extension.

I'll stick with Safari 4beta1 for now. Even though I do try out Camino for kicks once in a while.

EDIT_ Sorry, I just realized that most of what I typed is dislikes. But there are many good thing with Firefox, the thing with tags is just not one of them. Extensions is one.

17. MotleyPete macrumors regular

Huh?

If I type "macrumors" in Safari, I get macrumors.com

18. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

You're probably spelling rumours in English :D

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

:), some people might find this funny, but I can confirm to you guys, this is indeed true, Im not saying MotleyPete typed "macrumours" (which may or may not be true). Im saying no matter you type macrumors, or macrumours, firefox will bring you here, through its combined dns and google service, while safari will only do "delivery" service that adds www. and .com and sends the url to dns. macrumours is not registered, and safari returns a can't open page.

I though its very clear where the download is from? from firefox's download manager, you can even go back to that exact page where you downloaded the item.

also, by tag, you mean growl? if so, firefox 3.5 will support it

Firefox's download manager offers more functions than either camino, or safari. Safari doesn't tell you anything at all. and You "stick with it" because you fee safe that way?

im not saying its so important that it makes firefox so much better with it, but if you complaint about one specific function, then you turn around happy about a product has virtually nothing for the function you deemed "important"? i mean, come on. or did I misunderstand you?

Attached Files:

20. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

If you have 25 tabs open, and you need to reboot your computer (to install OS X updates, for example), firefox will remember them all and reopen them for you next time you start firefox. Safari doesn't do this and I find it extremely annoying.

Firefox has a much more robust (and easier to use) username / password management system.

Firefox is Open Source software and available on many different platforms - I can have the same browsing experience whether I'm using my MBP, my Linux PC, my FreeBSD server, or my SGI workstation.

Firefox has an about:config page with many hundreds of "hidden" settings that can be tweaked. Things that all other browsers don't let you access.

Much faster "time to repair" when security vulnerabilities are discovered. Other browsers take weeks or months to come up with a patch while Firefox typically takes mere days.

21. Diaresi macrumors regular

Apple STILL haven't fixed the PWN2OWN problem yet - says it all really!

I tend to change which browser I use. I like Firefox for its addons, small memory footprint, open source nature and as you said they fixed security issues quickly.

I like Safari because for me personally its quicker (even though it does eat up RAM) and generally more streamlined and "fluid".

I wouldn't ever use Safari without typing

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true
    into the terminal though. It makes everything open in tabs instead of windows - which REALLY annoys me.

22. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I agree with the opening post, Firefox to me does feel too much like a windows application. I've used Firefox in the past and it is a great browser but I found it a little more difficult to use than Safari. That is why I use Safari 3 now, but Firefox just has a different look than Safari and will serve you great as a secondary browser.

23. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I have liked Firefox ever since it got released. When I was using Windows machines, it gave me less problems than IE did, and for Mac it seems to run faster than Safari does.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I like the plugins, but due to it crashing when downloading large files and opening new tabs; I just can't use it.
    Well, under XP I do my downloads in Safari and my browsing in Firefox.

25. MotleyPete macrumors regular

Yeah, macrumors in Safari gets me here, macrumours (in English) gets me nowhere.

Although, I've got this site bookmarked in Safari and simply typing mac is all I need. So, it's not exactly a deal breaker.