Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eskimochaos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Just a quick question about what you actually lose when you restore as a new phone? I understand you can backup then apply that backup to the new phone but does that really count? All I would need is call history, data volume, texts, email settings and contacts. Are all these backed up when your iPhone backs up in iTunes?

Thanks in advance.

eskimochaos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

jsimpson said:
Everything, just as it implies "new phone" It will be like setting it up the day you bought it new. Although I restored from backup last night and half of the stuff for my apps didn't restore so it was almost like restoring it as new.:confused:

So you lost your call history and previous data usage? I know I can sync contacts etc from outlook but i really need my call history and data volume for personal logging reasons.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Everything, just as it implies "new phone" It will be like setting it up the day you bought it new. Although I restored from backup last night and half of the stuff for my apps didn't restore so it was almost like restoring it as new.:confused:

Not true. I restore as new all the time. If you know what you are doing (as far as syncing goes), all you lose is SMS messages and game save and app settings. Your wifi password will need to be set again and your voicemail will need its password. Your icons will be moved around. Other than the SMS and game settings, it's really not a big deal.

After the restore as new, you sync, and everything else should come back, as long as you synced it properly before.

@OP: Yes, you lose your call history.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Not true. I restore as new all the time. If you know what you are doing (as far as syncing goes), all you lose is SMS messages and game save and app settings. Your wifi password will need to be set again and your voicemail will need its password. Your icons will be moved around. Other than the SMS and game settings, it's really not a big deal.

After the restore as new, you sync, and everything else should come back, as long as you synced it properly before.

What he said. However, there are rumblings of ways to extract the SMS history. None of it is confirmed but in theory its possible.

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006

Not true? Yeah, it is.... and yes when I restored from Backup last night it did not bring over most of the data from my apps. As for your earlier statement I seems you just repeated my original reply. "It is just like setting up a new phone". I never implied that he nor anyone else would have the same issue I did when using a backup; I just said I had an issue and should have just started from scratch too.:cool:

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006

So you lost your call history and previous data usage? I know I can sync contacts etc from outlook but i really need my call history and data volume for personal logging reasons.

Yes you lose your call history and data volume. Like Aggie said your contacts, calendar, etc will be synced back easily. It the app data and location that will not be restored, SMS history is gone too.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Not true? Yeah, it is.... and yes when I restored from Backup last night it did not bring over most of the data from my apps. As for your earlier statement I seems you just repeated my original reply. "It is just like setting up a new phone". I never implied that he nor anyone else would have the same issue I did when using a backup; I just said I had an issue and should have just started from scratch too.:cool:

Uh, read my post again. I said you'd lose game saves and app settings. IDK what issue you are referring to, so that's all I can respond to. The main thing is, you don't "lose everything."

jsimpson

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Uh, read my post again. I said you'd lose game saves and app settings. IDK what issue you are referring to, so that's all I can respond to. The main thing is, you don't "lose everything."

Well maybe we are missing each others intention.... I meant anything you "set" custom ringtones for certain contacts, game setting and progress, SMS history, names and passwords for apps, special settings for apps ie: WinAdmin- I have 6 Servers set up on it with all login info and I had to set all of them up again. Actually now that iTunes 9 allows you arrange icons and screens that alone makes setting up as new a lot less of a headache.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.