Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oluffen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Does anyone remember Command Full Stop and the time when you got everything you needed with your mac? Not like these days when one must buy a keyboard, mouse and even an seperate charger for the iPod.

What do you miss from the good old days? Please share what and why! :apple:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
iMacs come with keyboard and mice, laptops come with everything you need to use the laptop and even MacPros come with keyboards and mice (AFAIK - I haven't purchased a Mac Pro in years).

so do I miss the time when apple packages all components needed to use a computer, no, because they still do, with the exception of the mini

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I have my Late 2006 MacBook and then use a more modern iMac at work (and have used others laptops occasionally).

I really prefer the old keyboard layout. I like brightness being f1/2, volume f3-5 and so on. I also prefer having an Enter key to the right of the space bar and Command button and before the arrow keys. Now it's a second Option (Alt) key.

I also miss there being a cheaper MacBook option that was as good/better, but cheaper, than the 13" MBP.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Does anyone remember Command Full Stop and the time when you got everything you needed with your mac? Not like these days when one must buy a keyboard, mouse and even an seperate charger for the iPod.

What do you miss from the good old days? Please share what and why! :apple:

As a matter of fact, Apple didn't include keyboards with Macs back in the day. Including keyboards started with the iMac, IIRC.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

maflynn said:
iMacs come with keyboard and mice, laptops come with everything you need to use the laptop and even MacPros come with keyboards and mice (AFAIK - I haven't purchased a Mac Pro in years).

so do I miss the time when apple packages all components needed to use a computer, no, because they still do, with the exception of the mini

They also used to come with whatever adaptor you might need. My PowerBook G3 came with an S Video to RCA out jack. In contrast, I had to buy a $30 mini display port to HDMI adaptor for my MacBook Pro.

----------

As a matter of fact, Apple didn't include keyboards with Macs back in the day. Including keyboards started with the iMac, IIRC.

True, but the low-end models still don't. IIRC the desktop towers now come with keyboards, but they're also significantly more expensive machines.

----------

I have my Late 2006 MacBook and then use a more modern iMac at work (and have used others laptops occasionally).

I really prefer the old keyboard layout. I like brightness being f1/2, volume f3-5 and so on. I also prefer having an Enter key to the right of the space bar and Command button and before the arrow keys. Now it's a second Option (Alt) key.

screenshot20120126at102.png

^ Uncheck the 2nd box down. I don't like the default fn/fkey combo either. ;)

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I feel the overall build quality of Macs has decreased somewhat over the past few years.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
1. Sleep light on iMacs
2. IR Remote control
3. More bundled software. Our first Macs had Appleworks. Why don't the new ones have iWork?
4. Thorough printed documentation (OK, it never had that, at least not in the past decade)
5. A floppy disk drive. :)

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
True, but the Mac Mini models still don't. IIRC the desktop towers now come with keyboards, but they're also significantly more expensive machines.

Fixed that for ya...

----------

I feel the overall build quality of Macs has decreased somewhat over the past few years.

Have you ever handled a 2008 MacBook next to a 2011 MacBook Air? The build quality is INSANELY superior in the Airs (not to mention the original Airs were crap compared to the 2011s). I used to feel like I was going to squish the MacBooks by grabbing it in the wrong way. Same goes for the Unibody MacBook Pros compared to those from the pre-unibody days.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I miss the keyboards from PowerBooks and early MacBook Pros. I miss the days when white was the colour of Apple. I miss the "exclusive" black MacBook. I miss the MacBook itself. I miss the days when Apple made things look nice and functional rather than throwing out important functions like disc drives just to make everything thinner. I miss the days of early iPods which let you modify the firmware without a cat-and-mouse game (any other OG iPod Wizard users in the house know what I'm talking about?)

Good times indeed :(

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I miss the innovative designs, not the boring "sleek and silver" stuff they've had for the past 5 years.

I miss the Classic/OS X feel, instead of the iOS theme they seem to be heading towards.

I miss when everyone anticipated Apple showcases for the Macs, not the iPhones and iPads.

I miss the beautiful, white iBooks and iMacs.

I miss a lot of things.

And I was not aware Macs no longer had sleep lights. Another memory past. :(

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I do NOT like how the new macs got rid of the rainbow-color logo. And, they are making them all whitish, and I guess it looks professional but it doesn't look as good. The new laptops and stuff are increasing in price and it doesn't support Classic Environment anymore. I hate how Apple's coming out with all the tablets which don't have a CLI and it's not that new. Oh, a lot of the schools (At least where I live) are buying all these new laptops and even iPads. They don't need all the things that it has, and it's school! The old ones have almost everything that people would need for school, which is pretty much narrowed down to a text editor, a web browser, and the presentation software. And the tablets only let you get stuff from the App store, so what you can get is limited.

Oh, and can somebody answer my old thread? Thanks!

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14225564#post14225564

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Personally, I don't like any of the white peripherals or cables. I'd rather have grey or black cables/power adaptors, or the clear ones they used for a while.

yoyog3withoutcable.jpg

^ Not that I miss the frayed cable or port detaching from the motherboard issues this type of power supply came with, I just think they looked great. ;)

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
2. IR Remote control

Totally forgot those weren't standard anymore. Glad I still have my original.

Have you ever handled a 2008 MacBook next to a 2011 MacBook Air? The build quality is INSANELY superior in the Airs (not to mention the original Airs were crap compared to the 2011s). I used to feel like I was going to squish the MacBooks by grabbing it in the wrong way. Same goes for the Unibody MacBook Pros compared to those from the pre-unibody days.

True, build quality was probably the wrong way to word it. Reliability? Something along those lines. Of course the build quality is better, but even since I bought my MacBook in early 2007, I've heard more and more stories of multiple ridiculous issues with a MB/MBP that I never heard before.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

:confused:

Of the unibodies and aluminum iMacs??

The build quality has only increased. The very nature of the designs facilitate this. Easily.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
:confused:

Of the unibodies and aluminum iMacs??

The build quality has only increased. The very nature of the designs facilitate this. Easily.

What can I say? I'm admittedly really rough with my devices. My recent MacBook Air hasn't lasted long at all. The ThinkPad outlives yet another Mac. My PowerBook G4 was probably the best I've had off Apple. Closely followed by my 2006 MBP.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
What I miss most is that feeling of exclusiveness.:apple:
I remember a time when I would be the only mac user in the room. :cool:

I know it's shallow but what can you expect from a bunny:D

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
I miss visiting macrumors and instantly reading mac related news and rumors, not iOS stuff.

I miss the old designs of the G3/G4 era. iMac G4, Cube, the Titanium PowerBooks, the clamshell G3 iBooks with their cool handle, the later G4 towers where every generation looked a little bit different. Apples designs impressed me much more back then, imo the machines looked more "creative" - especially when compared to the pc stuff back then. Nowadays a mbp doesn't look much better than a hp envy for example.

I also miss the necessary adapters being included when you bought a Mac laptop. For example until early 2008 they had dual link dvi ports, and inkluded a vga adapter. I could connect any monitor out there from 30" to a beamer out of the box. They also had decent screens out of the box. Nowadays I would have to spend around 250 bucks on top to get a matte screen and 2-3 adapters just to make the laptop work for me. That's a little bit crazy.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Although this is the first Mac I've owned in a long time, we used to have a family iMac G3 that I miss dearly for one reason:

Those things looked -ing cool. The new iMacs are just so bland and boring now.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I miss the innovative designs, not the boring "sleek and silver" stuff they've had for the past 5 years.

Wait, you miss colorful plastic that looks like a Fischer Price computer ? Over what we have now ? :confused:

You think this is innovative and you miss it :

flower_power.jpg

Over this :

2011-imac_8.jpg

I'm quite baffled sorry.

I miss the Classic/OS X feel, instead of the iOS theme they seem to be heading towards.

OS X feels the same to me, be it Leopard, Snow Leopard or Lion.

Classic was a pig sorry, even with OS8's better graphic design, it really was a dog of a OS in need of a quick death by that time.

System 7.5.3 and before we just horrid, even Motif based Unix GUIs look better :

Macintosh_System_7.5.3_screenshot.png

irix.jpg

Seriously, I know you're even too young to even remember those days really and probably just adhering to a "old school is better" mentality, but no, the old days of Apple were bad. There's a reason they almost went south back in those days. There's a reason that they are where they are right now.

Last edited:

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England

Wait, you miss colorful plastic that looks like a Fischer Price computer ? Over what we have now ? :confused:

You think this is innovative and you miss it :

flower_power.jpg

Over this :

2011-imac_8.jpg

I'm with Cassie on that one. Maybe not the Flower Power example that KnightWRX quoted, but I reckon the G3 iMac in its various colours will stand the test of time as an innovation and a design classic far better than the Intel aluminium one below.

You also have to remember that design & innovation are relative to the technologies available at the time, which is part of Sir Jonny's genius. Sure, the G3 iMacs were bulky and heavy, but what else could you do with a CRT?

But then, what do I know. I remember being impressed with the motorised floppy drive eject on the Quadra :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.