Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
I miss the clean white look of the iMac G5 (looking forward to getting it back from my parents as soon as we can get them an upgrade).

I miss the matt screen.

I miss the gently "breathing" pulsating sleep light.

And the Apple key.

And colours in iTunes and the Finder sidebar.

And the (IMHO) cool-looking metal iSight camera with its "twist to open/close" action.

And Dashboard flying in (even more so when done slowly, after holding down shift).

I DON'T miss: plastic trackpads, trackpad buttons, and the mighty mouse's roller ball.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
This.

EDIT: And the fear a Sad Mac brought when I forgot to turn on the scuzzy HD hooked up to my Classic.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
As mentioned by others, I miss the system software media! I hate the trend of not getting restore discs...(the USB stick that came with my MBA is better than nothing, at least...but they don't pack them in anymore)

Matte screens are also high on the list. My current Mac (Late 2010 MBA) is glossy, and if I can help it, this will be my only glossy screen ever. I hate how they're impossible to keep spotless (they streak no matter what), and the reflectivity is quite obnoxious.

The current design language doesn't do much for me, either. There needs to be some scaling back of "form over function". The iMac G5 (until the last revision) was really easy to work on--three captive screws were the only thing stopping you from accessing the RAM, hard drive...the works. None of the stupid custom screw/sealed unit nonsense. Why has the all-in-one form factor turned into a "sealed unit" by design?

I too dislike the current keyboard layout, and mourn the loss of the apple logo on the command key. Not a big fan of the chicklet keys to begin with, though.

To be fair, though, the last *great* Apple laptop design was the Pismo Powerbook. How far we've fallen from the machine that had swappable bays, dual-battery ability, user-replaceable everything (including processor). It was really the Apple take on a ThinkPad--attractive, but not at the expense of function.

As far as software's concerned, I have zero interest in Lion--I went out of my way to buy my 2010 MBA towards the end of 2011 just so I wouldn't get stuck with Lion (and because I specifically wanted a non-Intel graphics card). The last of the Susan Kare designs seem to be falling out of use, too (the artist who did much of the icon design for the older System software (pre Mac OS labeling).

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
Personally,

I miss keyboards that felt like keyboards, not keypads.
I miss color and contrast in icons.
I miss having expansion slots on even midrange machines.
I miss matte displays.
I miss having options appear in windows that I could move around and resize, instead of pop-outs, pop-overs, panes or panels.
I miss software that used standard buttons and controls instead of re-designing the wheel.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The current design language doesn't do much for me, either. There needs to be some scaling back of "form over function". The iMac G5 (until the last revision) was really easy to work on--three captive screws were the only thing stopping you from accessing the RAM, hard drive...the works. None of the stupid custom screw/sealed unit nonsense. Why has the all-in-one form factor turned into a "sealed unit" by design?

The new unibody MacBook Pros are worlds easier to open up and replace harddrive/RAM than the old pre-unibodies.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
The new unibody MacBook Pros are worlds easier to open up and replace harddrive/RAM than the old pre-unibodies.

I dunno three screw in the battery compartment and slide the drive out..

Now its 10 and have access to everything, it provides a good opportunity to blow everything out..

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Honestly I miss the old G4 iMac design. The Pizza box design they have been using since the G5 sucks and is not as nice as the G4 was as on that one you could quickly and easily re adjust it to your viewing pleasure.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I miss the command key having an Apple logo on:

1530539760_69432a3dfb_b.jpg

I still refer to it as the Apple key and people whom I'm talking to don't have the foggiest which key I'm referring to. Heh. :p

'Command' is so much more awkward to say than 'Apple'.

Oh, and I also miss Spotlight actually being useful when you press the Show All button. Tiger Spotlight >>>>>>>>10.4 onwards Spotlight.

Last edited:

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
I miss the command key having an Apple logo on:

1530539760_69432a3dfb_b.jpg

I still refer to it as the Apple key and people whom I'm talking to don't have the foggiest which key I'm referring to. Heh. :p

'Command' is so much more awkward to say than 'Apple'.

Oh, and I also miss Spotlight actually being useful. Tiger Spotlight >>>>>>>>10.4 onwards Spotlight.

I also miss the Apple key. :)

Although, I understand why they changed it.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Oh! Actually, I'm planning on buying a used iBook, and I just noticed how great their old designs were. The Newton eMate 300 was amazing-looking, and the way they used the translucent plastic was so cool! I've rarely seen companies like Dell come out with designs like that that were just eye-catching and attractive. I look at the new ones, and I like how they used Unix, but now it sort of looks way too much like an iPad. Speaking of which, I really really hate how they limit everything to the App Store, where they inspire everything to cost money. And, I miss the old iPod nanos, and how everything is being turned into a touchscreen in it. I haven't really been alive to see the really old Macs, but I think they just got amazing after Steve Jobs came in, and then they were good, but I liked the ones from around 2000. The MacBook Air was really cool (YOU CAN FIT IT IN A MANILLA ENVELOPE!) but I sort of lost interest after a couple months, especially seeing that as they wanted it to be smaller, there's even smaller netbooks for $200. Apple, a while ago, tried to make cheap computers, but that is barely their focus at all now.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
- The great value that the white Macbook was in 2007

- Indented keys (instead of "Chiclet" keys).

- Matte screens (option missing from almost everything now)

- FW800 (or FW400)

- Gigabit Ethernet builtin (missing from Air)

- Swappable battery packs

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
1. Matte screens

2. Professional grade display as the 30" Cinema Display used to be.

3. Keyboard with molded keys - much better tactile experience if you type with ten fingers instead of the 2 finger search and destroy way.

What I do: not buy an Apple display, nor an iMac, but a NEC display and connect it either to a Mac Pro or a MBP.

Buy a non-Apple keyboard.

I'd rather buy a nice, Apple designed display instead of a NEC. But Apple doesn't give me that option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.