Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

projectMECCA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Austin, Texas
If you upgraded to Leopard, what do you miss most about Tiger or Panther or whatever you upgraded from?

Personally, I use Front Row religiously, and in Tiger I could turn on Party Shuffle on iTunes and have higher rated songs play more and it would keep playing in Front Row. But in Leopard, Whatever is happening in iTunes is automatically shut down when you open Front Row, and Front Row doesn't have a Party Shuffle feature, so im kinda screwed :( .

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
When I went from 10.1 to Jaguar, I didn't miss a thing. Same thing from Jaguar to Panther. But then something changed and Panther version 10.3.4 was VERY STABLE and that's what I missed the most during the early days of Tiger. But once they got their act together in 10.4.8 which also was very stable, I never missed Panther again. Now, it seems the last Tiger is also very good and yes, STABILITY is the thing Leopard is missing right now.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I miss my mail.appetizer plug-in that had a pop up window when new emails came. I also miss the other mail plug-in that changed the view from horizontal to vertical, so the inbox was only about a couple inches wide on the left and the rest was used for the message. This is much more efficient way to view emails I think. It's more like Outlook.

Not much else that really affects my daily use.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Try carbon copy cloner instead of superduper. Every bit as good, IMO.

The only thing I want back from Tiger is a solid menu bar. I don't miss a single other thing.

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
When I went from 10.1 to Jaguar, I didn't miss a thing. Same thing from Jaguar to Panther. But then something changed and Panther version 10.3.4 was VERY STABLE and that's what I missed the most during the early days of Tiger. But once they got their act together in 10.4.8 which also was very stable, I never missed Panther again. Now, it seems the last Tiger is also very good and yes, STABILITY is the thing Leopard is missing right now.

Couldn't agree more: STABILITY.

feyn-man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
my only problem is that I can't set different language input method in different windows.

feyn-man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
please explain further. thanks!

Now in leopard, if I want to type English in safafi for replying a thread and type some other language in iChat at the same time. I have to press 'command + space' to change input state after every switch of windows. That's boring.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
SHUT DOWN speed

I miss being about to shut down and quickly pack up our MBP and put it into the briefcase. With this "upgrade" - we get the spinning wheel for 20-30 seconds rather than it powering itself off right away.

An "upgrade" that slows down a function on a laptop - what a complete failure!

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I am not going to say stability, since there has only been 1 patch so far. Beyond that, I can't say there is anything in Tiger that I liked better then Leopard.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
The things I miss are mostly aesthetic. I'm feeling really nostalgic for Tiger's elegant glossy menu bar and simple dock. As far as functionality, I just want my apple menu functionality back in the dock.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I REALLY miss the old Spotlight Interface from Tiger. It stood apart from other windows (which when I'm focusing on a search - is a good thing) Interface was bulleted and easy to sort, and very clear to understand.

Leopards spotlight interface, seems no different than XPs.

Miss having nestled / hierarchal folders in my dock, old Front Row interface and playback options, and folder icons that didn't look so fricken identical to one another.

jjo

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
The seemingly easier way to connect to a Windows machine on your network.

With Leopard, all Windows machines you'd like to connect to must be on the same Workgroup. On Tiger, that didn't seem to matter.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
the little light under the dashboard icon in the dock!
:mad:

:p
:D
lol

honestly that is the only thing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.