What do you think about Acer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crovax, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Crovax macrumors member

Crovax

Yeah, I know that this is a wrong forum to ask this question. But I like this place and it seems full of people who know quite much about this kind of stuff. So please tell me what do you think about Acer laptops. May be anyone had them in the past and will be so kind to share his impressions? How reliable are those laptops? Etc, etc etc. I highly appreciate any info you guys can provide. :)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Mr Nice Guy macrumors member

Mr Nice Guy

I still have my acer lying in the dust in a corner at my room. Compared to my Macbook Pro the acer was s**t. I did not have any good experiences with the acer or windows in that case. That's why I switched to mac which I have never regret :)

4. akeemD macrumors newbie

I've had so many problems with acer laptops it's silly. Saving up right now for a macbook, then I can get rid of this piece of junk!

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

They're OK stuff! No frills and shrills.... just plain computing in some really old plain vanilla casing! They dont bundle much of software and I cant comment on service since this a second person experience (family)!

Good luck!

6. craigsharp@spym macrumors newbie

They are total crap! Don't even consider buying one. I work at the local Best Buy and we only cary 1 model, if that tells you something! We are the largest electronics retailer and we don't even stand by them!

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

No experience with their computers but some of their monitors seem Ok ( ish ) got around 30 of them at the college i teach at

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Kind of silly to try to compare a Macbook Pro and an Acer. The difference in price is well---BIG.

My friend has an Acer (all he can afford) and for what it cost and is, it isn't half bad IMO.

9. chuxdaddy macrumors member

chuxdaddy

acer

I have had my Acer desktop for over 3 years and have never had any problems with it. Recently installed more RAM. Mainly used for surfing the web, word processing, photo storage and music storage and playback. I love my $399 PC, although I am waiting for a mac mini update so I can buy a mac for garageband.

10. elpenguino macrumors member

I used to have an Acer a while back and I never had a problem with the computer. It was Windows that I had problems with.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Let me expand upon my above statement ...

Acers are cheap, meaning they are not meant to be top of the line in any category. They use bargain parts and give users a bargain experience.

You really do get what you pay for.

12. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

it depends on what model Acer. the low end ones are crap, but some of the higher end notebooks have received decent reviews. if i needed a windows only laptop, i would have to go with a Lenovo.

13. Crovax thread starter macrumors member

Crovax

Uhhh...unfortunately as far as I see we have bad news about Acer :)
    Well, let me explain my full situation so this post is going to be a little long :)

About my budget. It's not really limited, in reality I have money for any laptop out there. But it's not like I am a member of a rich family and wasting money is painful for me and makes me fill being stupid.

About what I need. I'd like to have a reliable laptop (I mean hardware) with something better than Windows. I am sick of that OS already. :) Why laptop? Well, I am a developer and I work at home. But sometimes I get tired of this overcrowded city and I go out to my country house. Unfortunately I can't stay there forever because I have to attend university sometimes or they'll kick me away. :) And also I am going to have some travels soon so a laptop will be very handy but as you can see it doesn't obviously need to be very portable.

Now about MBP that I was going to buy. I like their customer service and I've heard lots of good things about their OS. Also they say that their hardware is very reliable however I don't understand what reasons they have to say that. And now about bad things. In Ukraine MBP is 1.5-2 times more expensive than in the USA. Current MBPs have faulty GPUs and I guess the new model will end up with nVidia that is potentially faulty too. We already saw some rumors about this. Some great guy from this forum adviced me to buy an old model with ATI but mac store didn't ship to my country and just when I was going to find ways to get it, that MBP disappeared from their store. :( On the top of that our so called "certified" stores can't come up with the decision if they are certified or not. I've called to all the shops of our "MacHouse" reseller and half of them told me they won't do anything if my MBP bought from the online store, dies. Half of them told me that they'll accept it. Quite a funny situation. :) And the final argument is that in a year I am leaving for the USA. I'll be working at one of the US companies and will stay for rather long time in that country. And there I'll be able to buy an MBP for the normal price (if I after all want to). So from my point of view buying a new MBP (let's guess it comes with nVidia) is the waste of money I mentioned above.

So I started looking for other laptops in the market. I wanted to find something that has 17"<inches<20" and ATI and the only thing I found there was
    Acer Aspire 8920G-6A3G25Bn (LX.AS60X.008):
    18.4^/ Core2 Duo T5750 2 GHz/ 3 GB/ 250 Gb/ BlueRay-DVD/ ATI HD X3650 512mb/ fm+/ LAN 1G/ Wi-Fi +/ BT+/ Vista HP/ CardReader+/ web-cam 0.3M/ VGA+
    But this Acer turns out to be a piece of crap so I guess I am going to abandon that stupid 17"<inches<20" idea and look for something that has 17". :eek:

Thanks for your time! :)

14. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Acers are crap. Their customer service, is crap.

I paid 1560 dollars for an Acer, and it lasted about a year and a half (had to send it in twice) before the hard drive started to make clicking noises, the DVD drive was starting to wear out a bearing. The screen wasn't secure after they had replaced it (which took 2 attempts), and the entire edge was warped from where they fixed it (ie, they did a shoddy job of replacing the monitor).

15. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Wait til you get to the US to buy a laptop. Seems more trouble than its worth in Ukraine.

16. mladenz macrumors regular

typing this from an acer, have it temporary from my sister. And im seriously considering trowing this one out of the window and buy my sister a macbook.

but maby because hes 2-3 years old, but it sucks, driving me go nuts.

17. bytodaystandrds macrumors member

Don't compare Apples to.. lemons.
    In my family, we've had 2 acer laptops dying couple of months after warranty.

Mostly for overheating reasons where a celeron 1.5 couldn't take the load of windows xp alone any more... absolutely lame.

Regardless of price point, they're budget OEM parts into cheap plastic casings.

That's all acer does.

Cheap.:(

18. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

19. bytodaystandrds macrumors member

You won't believe it, when i was a kid, i thought Bill Gates was definitely running Windows as well!:D

20. noorulla417 macrumors newbie

21. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

NVIDIA screw up with some graphic cards, we all know it. But it doesn't matter everything else from them will be faulty! I don't know exact numbers, but it seems half of the notebooks that have dedicated graphics use NVIDIA's cards. Especially now that they acknowledged the problem, I doubt they'd risk losing another 200+ millions. Of course it doesn't change the fact that some models should be avoided (i.e. 8600M GT that was in MBPs).

About resellers... it sounds like it used to be in Poland. Now it's only marginally better, meaning they don't refuse warranty repairs for units purchased abroad. Apple's warranty is international and authorized service can't refuse it. However many people had problems with getting it. From their experience it seems only persistence in calling Apple Europe helps - don't bother arguing with resellers or importers, they're the ones losing profit when you buy abroad, so they'll always try to make your life more difficult. If you aren't sure if the service is authorized, check at Apple's site (when you go to your country's site and go where "store" should be, you should get a list of resellers, service etc.).

Also keep in mind you should probably pay some tax if you bring a laptop from US, so they might consider it a reason to refuse help (i.e. demand the receipt, proof of you having paid taxes etc.). I'm not sure if they can do this, but some used to try it here. They don't do so anymore though, so perhaps they shouldn't have in the first place.

In the end, I'd say if you don't need a good laptop right now and can afford to buy cheap one just for one year, do it and get a MBP in US (if you still want it). I suppose it'd take at least a few months for new models to hit countries where there're no Apple Stores, so you'd likely be waiting anyway. Also by this time 17" will likely be redesigned as well (if you like the new style, it's an advantage... if not, well... ;)) and probably for some time on the market, so any issues with it would be known.

22. sk47 macrumors member

i don't know how functional/stable acer laptops are, but all i know for SURE is that they are butt ugly...

( | ) <-- Acer

23. fao91 macrumors newbie

My 4 year old Acer Aspire 1620(p4 3ghz,ati 9700,1gb)is still working:)
    Had to replace the cd/dvd burner 1 year ago.
    Once a year i do a complete cleanup(dust inside)
    It runs photoshop cs3 with no problems(12mp raw files)
    I have heard all bad things about Acer over the last 4 years,i guess i was lucky:D
    Let´s hope that i´m also that lucky with my MBP.

24. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

25. Bwilky macrumors regular

I second all those posts that state their crap. Had one years ago, and it broke after 3 months. Took another 2 months to get it back from their "Customer CARE". When I got it back the case was cracked and showed signs of it being dropped. I gave up and switched to apple. Never yet regretted switching over to macs.

Their current Laptops are even worse. Vista is already bad, but Vista with a crappy computer = suicide. Their loud, slow, cheap, and feel like they will break in your hands. WARNING! Don't go near them if you want to stay sane.

LOL, I try not to.