What do you think about the design?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SPNarwhal, Sep 7, 2016.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

This is not a hate thread. I'm genuinely curious as to what people think of the design.
    Before going into the keynote, everyone was angry that the phone looked pretty much the same.
    Did the new Jet Black and Black colors save it for you?
    And is anyone upset that the blue color rumors turned out to be false?
    (I was really hoping for blue, but ah well. I won't be upgrading anyway, so maybe next year!)

But I'm really curious as to if people are happy with the design or if they think they should have been more "innovative" and did an entire rehaul like they usually do every other year.

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It looks almost exactly like an iPhone 6, so whatever people thought about that, it'll most likely be the same opinion.

I just love that sexy shiny jet black. I need a shiny white model for next year.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Other than the removal of two antenna lines I like it less than I like my 6s+.

Getting black back is nice, but I question why Apple waited until now to give the customer what they have been asking for since the 5s. In any case, black changes nothing for me.

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I like the design of the 6, 6s, and 7 already and don't need a color to "save it" for me.

Hell no I didn't want blue. Matte black looks outstanding by comparison :)

And no... from now on they should focus on internals and increasing the phones capabilities more than a crazy amount of R&D put into aesthetics. Screw this "Oh I need a new design ever 2-years or it's not a real upgrade" nonsense :rolleyes:

5. noobinator macrumors 601

I like the new black colors. I like the moved antenna lines. I like the new camera look (blending into the aluminum backing).

6. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I'm assuming it's because they wanted to perfect the technique. They had it on the 5 and iPad Mini and then took it away because the black had a huge tendency to chip off. Seems like they've improved the process now and it will be more stable and quality.

--

I agree with focusing on internals and not on the design. I never understood the people who said "Oh, look, it's a release of the same phone we had for 2 years already!"-- it's the same as when people complained about the 5SE saying that it was releasing the 5S again. Why? Just because the design is the same? Would it really improve the experience of using the phone that much if the edges were round or something? It's actually innovative because they're recycling parts, so that's great. They're giving high performance in the smaller size, as requested by so many people, and then people are upset about it being the same design as their 5S even though they're the same people who said that they'd keep their 5S if it wasn't becoming outdated and that it's their favorite screen size and design. lalala.

I really love the jet black. Honestly, it reminds me a lot of the 3G/S, although it's not a shiny black plastic, it sure looks a lot like it is.

7. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I somewhat hold the opposite opinion. Nowadays, mid-range and even some low-end phones are good enough for me. I just want something that looks nice with good performance and plenty of battery life. I don't need the absolute best anymore.

While Apple was talking about how much faster the A10 is than the A9 and A8, I was just thinking "show me that shiny jet black back again!" :p

8. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Heh, I agree. Even mid-range devices will work fine for just about anyone. Battery life and performance are two of my top two categories as well (in addition to screen + camera). I marveled at the Jet Black as well just that I'm a bit OCD about finger prints and micro scratch ;) I had a Note 4 in the past that scratched its shiny chamfered edges just getting it out of a TPU case every now and then to clean it and I just know in advance the same will happen of the Jet Black... still it's gorgeous though, much like the Mac Pro.

9. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Jet black really makes a difference. Not saying because it's nice or anything. But the iPhone has been matte for so long that now they offer a glossy version, it feels new. I'm buying it!

10. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I'm constantly wiping my phones off, so I'm not too worried about fingerprints. They won't stay on my phone long anyway.

But yeah, my three top requirements in a phone are good performance, a full day of battery life, and nice appearance (a nice screen is included in this) in that order. Appearance doesn't matter when your phone is dead and good battery life doesn't matter if your phone is frustrating to use.

Everything after those things are just bonuses. That's mainly why I bought an iPhone SE and not an iPhone 6s. The smaller size is important to me, but really the iPhone SE just looks nicer than the iPhone 6s IMO.

11. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

except for moving the antenna lines... I don't see any difference...

the new black colors are nice and I'd get piano glossy black if didn't already want PINK.

12. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It's weird because I think the jet black iPhone 7 looks so nice, yet the other iPhone 7 colors look as ugly as the iPhone 6 series, and I've preferred and bought only white/silver phones and tablets since 2013.

13. noobinator macrumors 601

new colors, moved antenna lines, new camera module

14. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

OK... to me DESIGN is how it looks... not the internals, camera function, etc... so TO ME... the only new design is where they put the antennas (and the addition of blacks)

Which is why I answered the way I did above...

15. noobinator macrumors 601

I was mentioning the things that look different. The antenna lines moved, the black colors are new, the camera module is completely redesigned with 2 camera and is now fused to the aluminum, their is no headphone jack, there are 2 speakers now. Those are the only differences that I can see. :D

16. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

17. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

18. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

I dont hate it. It's definitely a step up from the 6, but it could use some improvement.