What do you think about the EarPods?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Blackberryroid, Sep 13, 2012.

?

What do you think about the EarPods?

1. A revolutionary new headphones that will change headphones forever.

10.9%
  2. It's just another headphones, but with a great sound.

37.2%
  3. It's just another headphones, nothing more.

47.0%
  4. It's a horrible headphone.

4.9%
  1. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Is it the revolutionary new thing? And what is so special about this headphone?

2. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Without ever having used them, it's pretty much impossible to judge. I'd imagine I'll end up sticking with my s4i earbuds unless Apple's somehow manage to blow me away.

3. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

I'm on an S4i too, but I bought one (still processing) to see how this will do. The promo video seems impressive. 3 years of design, they said. And Apple really wouldn't make a promo video for something that isn't very important, so I think this will be the next big thing. I can't wait.

4. SprSynJn Guest

I'm hoping they fit in my ear properly so I don't have to buy a different set. But, I doubt that will be the case. :(

They sound great though. And from what I've read on a few websites, they seem to be better than the previous models.

5. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I noted that they mentioned during the keynote that they don't form any kind of "seal" within the ear...I wonder if that's some kind of advance warning for the amount of ambient noise they're gonna let in? If so, I definitely won't use them. Got a pair of Bose something or others sitting upstairs in a junk drawer that I won't use for the same reason.

Oh well. I'll give 'em a go when they get here and if I like 'em, so much the better. If not, the Boses will have company. :p

6. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

7. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I ordered a pair. I can wear in the ear headphones that seal the ear canal, but the larger apple ones (and others) that don't seal irritate my ears and hurt after a few minutes. I would love for these new ones to work better, much safer when walking of I can hear ambient noise as well as my music.

8. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Hopefully they do actually sound a lot better than the current ones. However, nothing can really be said about them until they have been listened too. hopefully 3 years of design and research translates into something other than headphones that look like tiny retro hairdryers...

9. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

It would be a major disappointment if it sounded horrible. Then I would lose trust in the Apple Headphone brand.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

the redesign looks good IMO, but I'm not expecting much from the sound. Really great sounding buds cost money to make. There's zero incentive for Apple to make these buds sound great. Decent maybe, but not great. They're basically a gift from Apple, which if not included in the box, would not detract from iPhone sales in the slightest.

11. megazjl macrumors newbie

Hmm.. i'm not very sure, but sharing.
    I think they are just playing with how the sound wave travels when it is played through the speaker.

Like originally, iBud's speakers are not covered, and the sound is played through the entire grill.

But now, they only create 2 holes per earbud, such that the sound will only travel in 2 specific directions.

My guess is that its trying to replicate a "unique" soundstage as it bounces off the walls of your ear canal.

you might ask "I thought all sounds are the same as long as they reach your ear drums ?" i don't have the answer myself :confused:

but i've tried before earbuds with similar design to come with such a conclusion. "unique soundstage"
    just my guess.

12. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

But for the price you can pay for the current apple earphones, you can get other ones that sound miles better. Sennheiser CX300's can be bought for about the same price from some places. The standard ipod ones can't touch them for quality.

I'm not expecting these to beat anything like the sennheisers though, it would just be nicer if they sounded better than the current ones for the same price. However, I get a feeling that they will either be same quality for the same price, or higher quality for a larger price. Most likely the latter...

13. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I assume most people haven't heard them yet, so this poll is almost pointless and shows how many people vote without listening to them.

There's no way to tell until more people own them.

14. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

I'm asking what people think, not necessarily observed. The promo video was quite impressive, I never bought a headphones that fast. I usually research about them for a month. But this promo video is so impressive that I grabbed it right away as soon as the video stopped playing.

I'm asking people about what they think about the EarPods based on what they saw or read on the special event.

15. scott523 macrumors 6502a

I don't suppose this one can beat Apple's IE headphones, right?

16. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

Really curious as to see how these would fit and how comfortable they will be.

17. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Likely a vast improvement on the God awful ear buds but still not close to what I would want. Noise isolation is a must for me. Not because I'm in noisy environments a lot but because it improves sound clarity and you can listen at a level that's not going to make you go deaf.

I'm guessing (like the ear buds), if in a quiet place, they are easily heard by anyone nearby which is annoying. I have owned several iPhones and iPods and the ear buds went straight into the trash upon purchase.

18. JJJosh41 macrumors regular

Will it be revolutionary?

It may not be the most appropriate use of the word, but I think these will be copied a million times over. If that is revolutionary then yes. Will they blow everyone's mind with their sound quality? Probably not.

19. Legios macrumors regular

Sealing earbuds are terrible for any sort of activity can transfer any vibration on the wires themselves into the ear. The marketing for these seems to be geared toward the slightly more active lifestyle IE normal everyday walking and travel commutes. The " non sealing" of these might be related to that.

20. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

No. Your poll doesn't make sense. One of the options is "It's just another headphones, but with a great sound."

No one knows what they sound like. About all I can say about them is they look weird. It's impossible to say whether they are horrible or sound great without actually hearing them.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

I not a Apple earphone fan but I not going to judge something on feel or sound I haven't tried. So all I can say is nice design and very Apple like!

22. CoolBradG macrumors regular

I won't have an opinion until I receive them. However given Apple's track record with headphones I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

23. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Let me get this straight. You will predict how it will perform. With three years of design annd all those, do you THINK that it will be better? It's a guess. Give your opinion, that's what I am asking for, not your review. But if anyone has a review, they are more than welcome to tell me what they think.

24. Calvinosaurus macrumors member

Calvinosaurus

Mine just came in the mail this morning...and as someone who absolutely hated the old headphones (they did not fit in my ears at all, fell out as soon as I would move around), I can say that the new ones are a huge improvement. Tried running with them and they didn't fall out, and they actually sound very good to me for a "cheap" $29 pair of headphones. I'm happy with them, we'll see how they hold up in the long run.

Edit: forgot to mention that they're also a lot more comfortable in my ear than the old ones, too. When the old ones did stay in my ear, they felt uncomfortable. The new ones, I barely notice they're even there.

25. Blackberryroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Is that "Huge Improvement" in terms of fitness or sound?