What do you think of the battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wope, Jun 24, 2010.

1. wope macrumors member

I upgraded from a 3G and it seems slightly better, although not as good as they had made it seem. Not a big deal though, as I have chargers pretty much everywhere I go. Has anyone done any of their own testing compared to before?

2. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Battery life has been incredible for me. Just look at the percentage from time to time and it's noticeably better than my old 3GS. I'm letting it run down now just to see how long it will last. :)

3. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I suspect we will know more in a couple weeks once the battery is broke in some. Seems okay so far.

4. shanew21 macrumors regular

Does your car charger work with the iPhone 4? Mine will not charge this phone.

5. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I agree with one of the above posters. We will know in a few weeks whether the battery is good or not. Thus far, I think there is only a slight improvement in the battery life, nothing special. Then again, the amount of processing this phone does is way more than the 3G and 3Gs, so it may be that it is performing extremely well considering what it has under the hood.

6. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I'm not thrilled with the battery life so far. (got mine yesterday). I've been awake and using it for less than 2 hours (reading a few emails, checking in to save on three games which takes less than 30 sec each) and already the indicator shows 1/4 down.

To be fair though, I haven't used the new charger cord, I've been using the old one.

7. bababoey14 macrumors regular

Why do you have to use the new cord?? How would that change things lol. I'm not very impressed with the battery....I used the phone after charging fully for about 3 hours and it was down to 20%. Maybe just need to give the battery a few weeks....

8. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've been very impressed. I'm aiming to run it full down, so i won't be charging mine until it turns off. I got it yesterday and charged to 100% and started using it.

3 hours of use (mostly web with 3G mostly, WiFi occasionally-off when not used), 16h33m standby. Im sitting comfy at 58%.

I took a few pics, installed some apps (love iMovie!), just using it like normal.

9. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Definitely less than impressed. It's seen maybe 2-3 hours of very light usage today, the rest in Standby, and it's down to 37%. Granted, this is the first charge, so I'm hoping things improve fairly dramatically after a few full charges. I'm going to let it complete discharge today/this evening and then let it fully charge. We'll see how that goes.

10. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

I charged mine to full as soon as I got it at 3 PM yesterday. I used it non-stop from 4pm to 12:30am and could only get it down to about 25% after all that. Quite literally, I was playing with it probably 52 minutes out of ever hour in that period.

I finally got it down to 10% this morning and am charging it now. I'm quite impressed with it so far.

11. odyssey924 macrumors regular

When I went to bed last night, my phone was at 44%. When I woke up 8 hours later, 8%. :( When the phone died, it claimed, 5.5 hours of usage, 17.5 hours of standby.

So much for 300 standby hours...

This is with pretty much everything that can be on, on.
    BT, 3G, Location, Push, etc.

12. TLewis macrumors 65816

Anything with a new lithium-ion battery will likely appear to have issues, but will typically get resolved over time. See the zillions of 3GS battery complaints from last year. (Hint: it's a battery calibration issue.)

13. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

<g> You're right. There is a break in the cord but as long as it shows the phone is fully charged, then I'm just stretching to try to give apple the benefit of the doubt.

And my phone feels warm to hot (depending on what it's doing) like the 3gs (was hoping this wouldn't be happening). Yours too?

14. odyssey924 macrumors regular

I let my battery die this morning for this very reason. I'm hoping a calibration will give better performance.

15. shawndre macrumors member

I'm very impressed so far. It was at 100% last so I left it off the charger. Woke up to it being 99%. So far I'm at 10 hours standby and 1 hour twenty five minutes usage. And it's at 88%!!!!

16. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Do you have a blue arrow in your upper taskbar? You might want to close out any Navigation app you may have opened. Check what you have in the multi-task menu (double click the home button).

17. odyssey924 macrumors regular

Wow. I wonder what drained mine 35% overnight... It's a mystery.

Edit: I did skim through my app switcher and saw that several iOS 4 games I tried were still "running" including Real Racing, Eliminate, Flight Control, etc. Looks like we'll have to do some Windows Mobile style task managing after all if we want to conserve battery life.

18. cparktd macrumors member

Do these batts require several cycles to achieve full capacity like NiMh do?

19. RoarinRow macrumors regular

RoarinRow

I'm not impressed by the battery life either. I guess because my expectations are high because I have an iPad, which has outstanding battery life by comparison.

This morning I was on the way to work just reading emails, checking this site, and the any updates in the Apple Store and it went down by 2-3% in that short time. :eek:

I used my old iPhone cords for charging, not the one that came in the box. Not sure if that makes any difference since it does charge the unit and does show 100% after unplugging it from the power source.

20. TLewis macrumors 65816

You may have to do that a couple of times or so. However, don't do it too often, as a full discharge reduces the overall longevity of the battery by a teeny tiny amount. (This is one of those things where you trade off a teeny tiny amount of "damage" for battery meter accuracy.) IIRC, Apple recommends a once-a-month full discharge to keep the meter accurate.

21. Stankonia macrumors regular

I am having a similar problem. I charged my phone to 100% earlier and left it alone to play some video games. When I checked the phone a few hours later it was down to 84%. I checked usage info and it said 40 minutes used with 2:39 standby (remember, I did not use it during that period)

I have bluetooth turned off, wifi on, and push is only set to check for mail every hour.

Very disappointing

22. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Here's my stats so far on a FULL CHARGE

Useage: 5hrs 20min
    Standby: 14hrs 17min

Battery % left: 47%

Thats pretty good in my opinion. And this is with Sirius/XM streaming, lots of internet, and lots of text messages. Also about 20 min of random video w/ coworkers

EDIT: This is w/ Fetch set for 15min check, Location services on

23. ronniedobbs macrumors newbie

ronniedobbs

i would say 40% more life is about right, usually my 3GS phone is almost dead by 4pm after running NPR for a couple of hours. today, the iPhone4 is only half empty.

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just an FYI, but 300 hours standby is determined with nothing on. You’ll never get close to that with normal use. Over 24 hours is great, IMO. On weekends with my old 3G, I could get 48 hours or so, if I only had wifi and 3G on.

BT and push are some of the greater battery drainers (especially BT).

25. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Been using this since morning. I've got crappy reception in my office, so the phone is always looking for signal, wi-fi has been on and off all day,push is on for 2 email accounts, playing games, twitter, facebook, some youtube, ALL notifications turned on, and i'm down to 38%. And I didnt manually quit ANY apps from the fast switcher.
    Settings tells me 6 hours for usage, and 9 hours for standby.
    I'm very satisfied with this, as my 1 year old 3GS wouldn't last thru a day sometimes.