Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I'm a guy and I think that has nothing to do with B or W. Hello....all the Macbooks are white. I certainly wouldn't mind a white Lexus either.

Yes the glass is on top but after a while of pressing buttons dirt is going to get into the round crevasses of the buttons. Specifically the home button.

And we still don't know if the white under the glass would change color from exposure to sunlight. I read somewhere that the manufacturers couldn't meet/produce Apple's strict paint tolerances so who knows.

If you watch this video of the white iP4 it looks quite sexy. I am worried about it looking a bit plastic like in person though. Sorry that it's a PC Mag video. Best video of the white iP4 out there though.

Mostly worried about which color is best for the display though. Which is easier to read text and apps on etc.

p.s. My PS3 is white it it's gorgeous. Black PS3 would seem so boring.

2lmuhwh.jpg

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I like that "coke" reference. Not a Diet Coke for sure. Looks to be Lindsay Lohan's next phone. Like in the De Palma's Scarface, the "yeyo" phone.

Back in 2006, this is the touchscreen iPods we've all been waiting for! But since the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad were released, we all gotten used to black for the last few years.

To be honest, I did like the white G1 the best. Not a great design, but the white looked the best to me. And I did love the off-white Sega Dreamcast which was one of my favorite consoles of all-time. The grey mixed with white does make it look pretty cool. This is one those times when we haven't been accustomed to looking at yet to get used to it. We have gotten used to seeing the front part of iPhones with only one color after a few years, an all-white might look ugly or seem foreign to us.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I have white skin and I don't think it makes me look feminine :p

I'm planning on getting the white iPhone4, but I'll buy it at the Apple store so I can see them side-by-side and make my final decision then.

JackSpearo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
that black iphone is a nice phone, but it's sooo BOOOORRRRIINNNNGGG...

the white stands out, and for those perfectly confident in their sexuality, who cares if it's feminine???? anything that impresses the ladies, I'll go for, even if it's over my own interests ;-)...

I've had my black 3G for a long time now and it's gonna be great to have a white iphone... I hate having what everyone else has, especially since 9/10 iphones are booorriiiinggg black!

PS I started wearing pink shirts in college, and good gosh, the compliments POUR in from the ladies!!!!! They love it, and like I said, I need the change myself and I'll do anything to impress the gals ;-)

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
that black iphone is a nice phone, but it's sooo BOOOORRRRIINNNNGGG...

the white stands out, and for those perfectly confident in their sexuality, who cares if it's feminine???? anything that impresses the ladies, I'll go for, even if it's over my own interests ;-)...

I've had my black 3G for a long time now and it's gonna be great to have a white iphone... I hate having what everyone else has, especially since 9/10 iphones are booorriiiinggg black!

White isn't feminine though. Not in any way. It's a VERY neutral color.

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
I reckon the next iPhone will link to the MacBook Pro... I.E. Will possibly have a metal brush finish... Seeing that glass just smashes, they'd wanna go over the top to make sure it doesn't happen again... and I'm thinking it will look gosh darn sexy.

elie.fares

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
I would have loved to get the white one. I would have gotten it had it been like the 3GS with white only on the back.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I reckon the next iPhone will link to the MacBook Pro... I.E. Will possibly have a metal brush finish... Seeing that glass just smashes, they'd wanna go over the top to make sure it doesn't happen again... and I'm thinking it will look gosh darn sexy.
You want sexy, this is sexy. Too bad they're so much money.

Watch the slide show
http://www.elementcase.com/index.html

Then check this out
vapor%20silver.jpg

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I like that "coke" reference. Not a Diet Coke for sure. Looks to be Lindsay Lohan's next phone. Like in the De Palma's Scarface, the "yeyo" phone.

Back in 2006, this is the touchscreen iPods we've all been waiting for! But since the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad were released, we all gotten used to black for the last few years.

To be honest, I did like the white G1 the best. Not a great design, but the white looked the best to me. And I did love the off-white Sega Dreamcast which was one of my favorite consoles of all-time. The grey mixed with white does make it look pretty cool. This is one those times when we haven't been accustomed to looking at yet to get used to it. We have gotten used to seeing the front part of iPhones with only one color after a few years, an all-white might look ugly or seem foreign to us.

I gotta disagree.

The iPod was nice in white because white (and previously gameboy white) color of the screen.

But the iPhone on the other-hand was designed for a black color scheme. Look at the buttons in the phone app or the background color of coverflow album art in the iPod app. It just doesn't flow well without a black device.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
It's airplane grade aluminum. Absorb shock probably not, but I don't want to cover my phone with colored rubber in the first place so for me it doesn't make a difference. The above looks James Bondish though.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
I think it looks really nice naked. However, the photos I have saw with a bumper and other cases make it's looks dissipate.

It's your call. Personally I think I will buy one with my add-a-line and then have both in hand. Then I plan on paying the ETF and selling the one I like less (99% sure it will be the white) on eBay.

If only I could figure out how to ditch the data plan and only have to pay the extra $10 a month I wouldn't even pay the ETF, and profit much more. In any event I will still make my money back and a little more by paying the ETF and eBay'in it.

Blonde Buddhist
If I'm not mistaken - if you've a regular phone, get that one activated on the line and you can ditch the data plan.

I gotta disagree.

The iPod was nice in white because white (and previously gameboy white) color of the screen.

But the iPhone on the other-hand was designed for a black color scheme. Look at the buttons in the phone app or the background color of coverflow album art in the iPod app. It just doesn't flow well without a black device.
It would be nice to be able to chose the defualt background color : White or Black.
Yeah, I've seen these before but my concern was that it wouldn't absorb much shock as it's already metal isn't it?
Eh, it does say this at the end :

The inside of the Vapor case is lined with a very high tech shock absorbing material that reduces the G-forces of an impact. It also creates
a non-conductive barrier to help maintain the iPhone's antenna signal strength.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm a guy, and I really like it. I didn't dig the White 3G/S, but the new iP4 with a black bumper looks great IMO. Shame White wasn't available at launch, or I might have got one.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Eh, it does say this at the end: The inside of the Vapor case is lined with a very high tech shock absorbing material that reduces the G-forces of an impact. It also creates a non-conductive barrier to help maintain the iPhone's antenna signal strength.
Sweet. There you go.

Posting this again for those who missed it.

Best video on the net of the white iP4.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxc4SVJSmpg

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Besides two asian guys that I've seen with white iphones every guy I know with a white iphone is gay. I personally think they look nice but my preference is the sleek black.

Just because the white iPhone is more popular within the gay community does not make it more "feminine" in anyway. I know some very masculine gay men who like the white iPhone too. Gay =/= Feminine.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
  • More feminine
  • Black screen and white surface is not that nice.
  • Don't like the thing (proximity sensor?) above the earpiece.
  • I like black more than white, heh.

Fabienne

macrumors 65816
Nice unboxing video but how do I know that the white phone is going to be less attractive after watching that? I don't. I am going to wait until they come out and see for myself. I do wish that were happening tomorrow, but...

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Nice unboxing video but how do I know that the white phone is going to be less attractive after watching that? I don't. I am going to wait until they come out and see for myself. I do wish that were happening tomorrow, but...

I see only a couple of things that may not be good about the white one. I think after a while it will get dirty around the crevasses of the home button because that's where your finger goes every second. What I mean is I think dirt will end up inside around the circular home button. Also I think it's easier to view the display apps, text etc with the black one. The graphics just pop out more whereas the white body would be a distraction. Also the Apple logo is more visible on the black one (good) and the proximity sensor is super visible on the white one (bad).

So basically you'd be choosing between style and function.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I like the white one quite a bit - so much so that I'm waiting for it. I completely don't understand how some people can think that black is more masculine than white. This is just more stereotyping that we're trying to impose on ourselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.