What Do You Think The Future Of The Macbook Is?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bschh, Aug 19, 2009.

1. bschh macrumors newbie

The MacBooks are the fastest, most compact, the most powerful they have ever been. But what do you think is coming next? All MacBooks Pros to be as big as an Air? Standard terabyte harddrives? 4.0 ghz Rams? What do you think is the future. Maybe some Photoshops?

2. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Dimension wise I think we're at the limit. I mean, you can only go so thin before you're unable to upgrade the HD, battery and/or ram on your own.

I think we'll start to see 12 hour batteries (2-3 years?), and then 24h batteries (4 years?) like in the ipod's....it's just a matter of time.

I also think SSD will become standard in a few years (2-3 is my guess). Once WD and Seagate start making them, less and less resources will be spent making harddrives under 1TB.

3. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I hope they introduce QuickPath Interconnect within the next few years. That'd be nice. Also, much better speakers. Longer life REMOVABLE BATTERY. Even better screens! CPUs that consume less energy (less heat). Optional CD drive (in place of it would be a second HD with a RAID of some sort). Keep the trackpad, but make it more durable. FW 3200. USB3. ExpressCard standard w/SD option. Giant capacity SSDs. 10 Gigabit ethernet. Super fast GPUs.

That's about it...

4. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Whats the point of a Longer Life Removable Battery? I see no need to remove my 7hr battery

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

1. Long plane flights
    2. Replace an old one by yourself

6. iheartzombie macrumors member

iheartzombie

it will become self aware and take over the world!

7. joehahn macrumors regular

id like to see more possible customization ie you can pick and choose the ports that you get, more possible GPU's, more processor options, optical drive or not, screens, etc

8. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

I would really like to see some reeducation... Show people that if you improve upon what Mac OS X already has, and make an even more streamlined system with (god forbid) less bells and whistles, you can run it on a less powerful system. You can run a full blow Linux install on a NIC card these days. (NO LIES.) Also show them that a stock MacBook will get you tweeting just as fast as a Mac Pro. Well almost, but when it comes down to it, will you look back and miss those 3 seconds waiting for Safari? And if you do, you have just wasted another 3. Good on ya.

Instead, build a fasting booting OS (SL), a lighter Safari (something other than safari... Chrome?) and a better website (or translator thingy), and bang. There you are, getting better times than what that guy over there paid $3000 to get. meh?

But the future of Macbooks?
    SSDs standard.
    New intel Archs (i5, i7?)
    thinner
    shinier :rolleyes:

9. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

The reason that Mac computers are so crash and bug free is because the OS runs on hardware built by the same people. By tightly controlling the hardware, they are able to create a specialized OS, versus Windows running on everything made by man but being buggier that the average forest. The second they open up hardware, they lose stability.

So it is unlikely we will see vast GPU improvements, and more than likely not customized ports. Processor options? In reality, there are few manufactured chips availible in the current arch that are cost effective and suitible for a portable system. And all the n00bs want an ODD, us pros can get an OptiBay.

But what do I know? :rolleyes:

airplaneman: 10 GB internet? are you insane? do you even come close to stressing a gigabit connection on a day to day basis?

10. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Black anodized aluminum? (well I just really want this :D)

11. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Besides internal hardware upgrades, port upgrades, and screen/battery upgrades I can't think of much.

They'll find some way to innovate though, they always do.

12. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

It'd be nice to have when transferring large amounts of data. It'd finish in a flash (assuming the HDD can write it fast enough...)

13. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

mmm. Point taken. :eek:

12 hrs work + killing three people = tired and grumpy. sorry.

14. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

I believe batteries will become so compact and powerful that it will eliminate any AC power in most domestic products e.g. TV, desktop computers, dvd players, vacuum cleaners. Imagine that, total wireless.
    Eventually the other hardware will die before the battery even needs charging.

Although realistically it won't happen for a while.

15. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I would like to see more CPU and RAM options for the 13" MBP's also dump the DVD Drive, option for no SD card, more USB ports better integrated battery, but make an access door to get to the HDD easier. Compared to a Windows laptop my uMB 2.4/4/500GB is miles above the rest of the MFG's however they can always use a little improvement, oh yeah give us the option of no SD port and bring back ExpressCard ports.

All wishful thinking but I really believe the next round of updates will only including stardardizing on 4GB Ram, bigger HDD and maybe a CPU boost, nothing too compelling for me to dump my uMB CE
    :rolleyes:

16. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

touch screen.
    not even the apple tablet thing, just a touch screen on laptops as an option.

17. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I'd want matte screen, no optical, 2 drive bays, more USB ports, e-sata port, better battery and less weight.

18. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

what he said!

oh and 1650x1200 in the 15"

19. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Even farther away, batteries will be obsolete when wireless power transmission becomes practical.

20. d0mth0ma5 macrumors member

Was just about to mention this myself. It's gonna be amazing when it happens.

Although batteries will probably never become completely obsolete. Unless there is some kind of global wireless power system (while moving, camping)

21. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yea, true. :)

22. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You guys are dreaming if you think this will happen in your lifetime. Besides, can you imagine the medical side-effects that would come with this? (Plus, you couldn't keep your hair combed :D).

23. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Do you mean 1680x1050? I forgot to add that too. :)

24. d0mth0ma5 macrumors member

25. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

A lifetime is a long time. ;) I myself have seen computers evolve from roomsize behemoths that required special power and air conditioning, just to perform some simple computational algorithms, to where we are today only a few decades later. Along with that has come tremendous advances in technical infrastructure. Now I plan on being around another few decades, so who knows?

Heck, we'll all be connected to the global wireless network and all of our gadgets will be direct-wired into our brains. In 30 years people will be saying "I remember when you had to press actual buttons to send text messages." :rolleyes: