What do you think the iPhone 7 will be like?

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
What do you predict/want for features 2 years from now?

I predict and hope for:

Revolutionary camera with more megapixels and no noise reduction smearing.

at least an 8 megapixel selfie/front facing camera

4k video recording

480 fps slow motion

4gb of ram

better battery life

same form factor

base model = 32gb then 128gb

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Well, first a 6S with more RAM. Then, in 2 years from now, the 7. My guess is that Apple might move away from aluminum framework to something that rebounds after deformation. Like carbon fiber, polycarbonate, etc. Or a different metal.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I predict that Apple will go to polycarbonate for all phones and everyone will be just as upset as they were with the iPhone 5c

Also they go to a 4.3" and 4.5" screens to avoiding bending.

tekkt0r

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
I don't think Apple will move from aluminum alloys. At least, not while Jony Ive is still around. I predict a somewhat radical change in the iPhone 7; thinner bezel and something to make the phone more comfortable in the hand. The G3, for example, is very nice to hold for a 5.5 inch phone.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Thinnerer.

2.2 GHz Dual Core.

2 GB ram.

16 GB storage

Out-dated screen resolution.

Out-dated bezel size.

It will be boring.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
It's getting to where how much more can you really do. I don't get as excited as I used too at iPhone launches.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
What do you predict/want for features 2 years from now?

I predict and hope for:

Revolutionary camera with more megapixels and no noise reduction smearing. - Is that revolutionary?

at least an 8 megapixel selfie/front facing camera - Want a protruding front face camera?

4k video recording - could be, although it's more likely that apple will stick with 1080p and work on the quality

480 fps slow motion - rather 1080p 240fps

4gb of ram - 2GB more likely

better battery life - will probably be the same

same form factor - the 6S will be the same, the 7 will be a bit modified I'd say

base model = 32gb then 128gb - yeah, hope they get rid of the 16GB in 2 years already, although I was thinking the same thing 2 years ago too..
Answers in bold...

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Well, first a 6S with more RAM. Then, in 2 years from now, the 7. My guess is that Apple might move away from aluminum framework to something that rebounds after deformation. Like carbon fiber, polycarbonate, etc. Or a different metal.
I think Apple goes quad-core in the new iPhone 7's. iPhone 6S sticks to dual core still but have 2GB of RAM

Battery life is gonna be even better in the 6S, and the 7 even better battery life. The move to 16nm FinFET and then 14nm manufacturing node will give big power efficiency gains

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
1.8 GHz dual-core A10 chip 64-bit

M10 co-processor for improved tracking

2GB RAM

10 Megapixel camera f/2.0

1440p recording at 60 fps

360 fps slow-mo

2 megapixel iSight front camera that does 1080p

Stereo speakers

NFC

Day and a half battery life with moderate use

Inductive charging similar to the Apple Watch charger

Thinner

Lighter

The top and bottom bezels will be smaller. They might even remove the home button and let you press down on the bottom of the screen using the same technology in the Apple Watch.

32GB, 64GB, 128GB

4", 4.7", 5.5"

iPhone 7 Mini, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus

I have no idea what the exterior case will look like but I would wager it's not going to be anything too dramatic from what we have now.

I have no idea what iOS will look like by then but I will bet Apple Pay will be expanded in iOS 9 to let you pay other people with your phone. So you could pay friends money or whatever. Software is really the only thing left that can make leaps from year to year. The hardware is pretty incremental now.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I think Apple has big plans for this phone and likely have been prepping it for a while.

I think that 2016 will be a huge year for Apple with redesigns as a whole. The long-rumored MacBook redesign might happen next year, and I think that the 7 will also see a pretty slick redesign after the 6s releases. I can see the 7 having no physical home button and a much smaller frame as they will have smaller bezels. It'll obviously have a better camera, NFC, all of those things the 6 has now.

I also feel that iOS 10 will be huge and starkly different as well. Probably will more past the icon grids with the rows.

A lot of this is just guessing, but it seems like natural evolution for Apple. They do usually fall behind on what a lot of smartphone features and popular trends are, but they get it right two or so years later.

climber2020

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
I predict and hope for:

Revolutionary camera with more megapixels and no noise reduction smearing.

at least an 8 megapixel selfie/front facing camera
More megapixels are useless in a device like this unless the lens is improved.

I highly doubt the tiny plastic lens can resolve much more than 8mp of detail, even in ideal lighting conditions. It's like a Holga camera. The limitation is not the film/sensor; it's the substandard lens.

They also cannot make the sensor larger unless they A) make the phone physically thicker, which they don't seem to want to do; B) tack on an even wider angle lens, making it borderline useless for most real world situations outside of landscape shots; or 3) come up with a completely new lens design that crams all the lens elements in a small space while maintaining a useful focal length.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.