What Do You Think The iPhone Lineup Will Be After WWDC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Project-79, May 16, 2008.

1. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

Black iPhone 64gb (3G, GPS, Video Calling, etc.) - $599.99

Silver iPhone 16 & 32gb (EDGE) - $399.99

iPhone Nano 4 & 8gb (EDGE, no data plans, no touch screen, comes in wide variety of colours) - $199.99

This lineup will be very similar to the Macbook lineup currently (Black Macbook, Silver Macbook, and Mini Mac).

What do you think the lineup will be? All suggestions are welcome, except for flames.

2. rainmanbk macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

Sorry, but I am going to have to totally disagree.

First off, there's no way in heck there will be a 64GB version. There will be 3G version in 16GB and 32GB. There will be no more current gen model, nor will there be a nano. If there were going to be more of the same models, why would they have stopped selling them? I'm sure plenty of people would be happy with the current models, but there's no reason when they can release the new 3G models for say $500 and make $100 more per phone.

My opinion.

3. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

64GB iPhone?! Not yet, I don't think. I also doubt they will still even keep the original iPhone in production once the new one has come out...they just usually don't do that. With that in mind I'm guessing:

8GB $399
    16GB $499
    32GB $599

They will all be 3G and like I already said, I don't think they will keep the current iPhone in production. I also highly doubt they will introduce an "iPhone Nano" into the lineup...I hope not at least. That would be lame.

All speculation of course.;)

4. FreeFlight macrumors newbie

I think all the new iPhones will have support for 3G.. Apple will be wanting to get involved with the newer technology and not leave any devices behind so to speak.
    Also, I think the black option is a possibility, along with a 32gb model, and hopefully a $200 subsidy to go with all the new models when the iPhone is signed to a two year AT&T contract!
    just my thoughts :)

5. hondje macrumors member

Keep it simple!

Two 3G models:

16GB iPhone = $399
    32GB iPhone = $499
    (64GB is probably too expensive still. It costs a fortune in the MBA!)

Same price point as now, only with updated hardware. Typical of Apple. We see the same thing happen with all Apple computers. Hardware and storage improve, but same price.

There is no way Apple will keep an EDGE phone. The 3G will include EDGE. I agree with the previous posts: Apple would have kept producing EDGE phones currently if they were going to have EDGE phones and 3G phones.

6. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

Not trying to flame, but WTF? No way in hell that's gonna happen. If anything, the highend will be AT MOST 32GB. Apple would not make enough profit (in their eyes) because 64GB SSD is just so damn expensive right now. In addition to that, there wouldn't be enough space to hold a 3g chip, a gps module, two cameras, AND the extra memory.

More realistically, 16/32GB configurations with HSDPA (maybe HSUPA), possibly gps, better main camera (such as 3.2mp or 5 mp), and it comes in black, white (silver), and red (?). Oh and maybe better accelerometer for gaming.

I highly doubt there will be a front camera for video telephony, no American carriers support that right now.

Plus, read the forum once in a while, there are threads like this all the time. Just post in those, instead of polluting the forum even more by posting another useless "what do you think" thread. Thanks for playing. :rolleyes:

/thread

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

8GB $399
    16GB $499
    32GB (maybe) $599

If there are a vast amount of hardware upgrades, than I'd expect higher prices.

And I think pigs will fly before there will be subsidies...

8. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I doubt a 64 gig model either, but I would love it.

I need a 32 gig model with 3g for me to upgrade.

9. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

The front camera would be possible in the US as a non carrier feature. Not that it would happen, but it could if they use iChat and bypass the carrier specific transmission. Just use the data feed or wifi, etc.

10. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

True, and as cool as that would be, it's not gonna happen. :( Maybe wimax iphone 3.0! I guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer, huh? :D

11. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

totally agree

12. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I don't. I think 8GB is gone.

I think 16 & 32 will remain. The 16 proved that people want the additional memory. $399 & $499 IMHO.

13. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Kids, remember, cost is a contributing factor to the impossibility of a 64GB iPhone. The iPhone doesn't use an SSD, it uses 2 NAND chips. And 2 32GB NAND chips would be exorbitantly expensive.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't think there will be any EDGE-only iPhones. As someone else pointed out, if they were going to keep selling these then they wouldn't have run out/stopped selling them. It's also more cost-effective to just use one radio, which would be the new 3G one. It's backward compatible, so it'll be the one. I mean they don't make MacBooks with 802.11g and sell them for $20 less, do they?

I have a slight spider sense that Apple will release a model to cut into the non-smartphone market. For lack of a better term, the iPhone Nano. It may be the exact same size or a bit smaller, but basically it would be an iPod Touch with a cellphone built in. This thing might sell better than the iPhone we have now because of the millions of people that don't want to fork out $20/month for the data plan. I could sell my parents and probably half my relatives on such a phone just with how darn big the phone keys are and how simple the menus are. My mom complains about how complicated her last two phones are. From the little she has used my iPhone, I can tell touching a button that says "Call" is a lot simpler than figuring out which symbol means what (she doesn't know what the symbols on my DVR remote mean).

So my guess (maybe too hopeful):

iPhone 16GB, 32GB
    iPhone Nano 8GB

Colors? Maybe. I just hope they don't do away with the brushed nickel look they have now. It looks svelte. Of course I have a case around mine almost all the time now, but that's beside the darn point!

15. seenett macrumors regular

32gb 3G $499
    16gb EDGE $399
    8gb TDMA $299
    4gb two soup-cans-with-string $199

:p

16. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Not to add on to the flames of the original post .... but a touchless/dataless nano?

What would be the point?

17. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

iPod. That'd be the main point.

But I see a small widescreen-touchscreen phone. The screen's larger than the nano's screen. It's made for the non-smart phone types who still want convergence. Perhaps like the nano, it'll feature a really high PPI so that everything stays crisp.

Features:
    Phone/contacts
    iPod w/ video
    Photos
    Calc
    SMS - auto when tilted to landscape.

And other typical phone features.

18. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

iPhone classic (240gb HDD, 1.6mm thick)
    iPhone Nano (128gb Compact Flash)
    iPhone shuffle (1tb micro SD)
    iPhone touch -WTF??
    iPhone moon - 4 NASA grade rocket boosters to get to the moon (Mars on a 24month contract with att)

ok funs over
    8/16 or 16/32gb
    get rid of black aerial
    bit thinner
    glass screen (if not already)
    i think thats a safe bet ;)

19. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

They didn't stop selling them because they are "phasing out" the EDGE iPhone. They are sold out because they mismanaged their inventory and demand outstripped their forecasts. Pure and simple. And if Apple's smart, and they are of course, they will replenish their stock and keep selling EDGE phone at least until the 3G is announced and the release date is within a couple of weeks.

But I think you are right, and that when the 3G is released, there just is no reason to have an EDGE-only and a 3G phone at the same time. I've tried thinking of any possible benefit, both to Apple and the consumer, and I can't find any. Perhaps as a lower price-point product, but that doesn't make sense to me either. Apple doesn't really need a low-priced iPhone. And I don't think they want one on the market. When has Apple ever tried to compete in the marketplace with low prices to stimulate sales?

20. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Yea but even people who would not normally use data on previous phones are using it on the iphone (My non-tech parents in fact are perfect examples).

Furthermore AT&T and Apple make extra money from the data feature .... I don't see them taking it away and developing a phone just to target what essentially is a small market.

The few people that do not want data can just get a regular iphone and block it. The only real barrier to the current iphone is the price. I feel future contract subsidies will take care of this and knock it down to a price more people can afford.

21. newyorksole macrumors 68020

16GB 3G iPhone $399
    32GB 3G iPhone $499

They might even do 8GB and 16GB

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

iphone nano without touch screen???? what would that be? a normal phone like any other phone for $199?

the whole point of the iphone is the touchscreen. the ipod function alone is not that important to make it a success.

apple likes to keep things simple with not too many models.

only 3g iphone with 16 and 32 GB, $399 and $499.

if we are very lucky then there will be a reasonable upgrade plan from ATT for those who have the old iphone.

23. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

So it has EDGE but no data plans? What's EDGE for then? I'm sorry but it won't happen.

24. sfoalex macrumors 6502

Discontinued 8GB iPhone

New 16gb and 32gb models, $399 and $499.

- 2.0 software
    - GPS (Google maps free / Telenav $9.95 per mo. thru AT&T)
    - WiFi (Free HotSpots through AT&T)
    - 2.0 Megapixel Camera in the same location now (Software Zoom)

New iTunes version 8.0 with new sync features

- iCal sync (separate calendars)
    - Notes sync (tied to notes on iPhone)
    - Addressbook Sync (added OTA sync with .mac)
    - Better .mac capabilities including push email
    - New iChat for iPhone, AccountSync in iTunes 8

New GoogleMaps with StreetView (first time on a mobile phone)
    EA - Spore (free include)
    BeJeweled2 Deluxe Demo (available for purchase)

-Alex Alexzander