what do you use to connect your iphone to car?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by y0m0uth, Mar 24, 2009.

1. y0m0uth macrumors regular

i have a regular car... and the cd player have no usb...

how can i go about hooking up my iphone to my car?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I use the Griffin iTrip Auto, it charges and plays at the same time, and the model I have works with my iPod 3G. Unfortunately they have replaced the model I use with one that uses 5V so it will work with any iPod/iPhone, except the iPod 3G.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripautoss this is the new one, that automatically finds a clear station for you.

TEG

3. y0m0uth thread starter macrumors regular

do i just basically plug it in the car charger?

sorry for the noobish questions...

4. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

My system has a cord with a 3.5mm headphone jack on it so it works with any player.

5. The General macrumors 601

I plug my iPhone 3G into my Scion tC like this:

Provided iPod interface -> Kensington 4-in-1 charger -> CableJive Dock Extender Cable -> iPhone 3G

The reason I use this extra stuff instead of just the iPod cable that comes out of the center console is so that it will charge my iPhone 3G. It charges my iPod classic and it charged my EDGE iPhone, but it wouldn't charge my iPhone 3G.

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I use this one, keep in mind to change it to International mode for somewhat a better quality.

7. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

i use an fm transmitter. my car has built-in bluetooth but of course, the garbage that is the iphone does not natively support stereo bluetooth.

8. tvp macrumors member

I have a JVC cd desk with a USB and an auxillary port that I use.

9. y0m0uth thread starter macrumors regular

wait i dont just want to charge it... i also want to play the music thats on my iphone on my car stereo...

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm considering having my car radio replaced entirely with something that has a mini-jack input. From everything I've seen it seems like the simplest solution.

I haven't listened to my own music in my car now for over a year. It's pretty annoying.

11. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

What's the year/make/model of your car and does it have the stock stereo in it?

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Be careful with that. I have a brand new Tahoe with a mini-jack input and I used the Belkin cable from Apple. Lets just say even with the windows up I had to bend down to hear the music. It was terrible. I returned it within 10 minutes.

Now the question becomes... was it the cable or is it the input? I used a Belkin cable (which should be good right?) and the in car stereo is Bose (which should be good right?).

I wish I could figure it out because I would love to use the iPhone instead of having a cd case that I have to fumble thru.

13. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Make sure the volume is up all the way on the iPhone. I use the mini jack in my wifes Tahoe with zero issues

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes, the iTrip Auto is a one piece charger/FM Transmitter. Nothing extra to connect, just plug it in, set the frequency on the iTrip and the Stereo, and off you go.

TEG

15. y0m0uth thread starter macrumors regular

1999 honda civic... no it has a jvc cd player... no usb port though

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yeah it was all the way up. What cable do you use? Also I tried it on the original iPhone, however, I now have the iPhone 3G. Which iPhone are you using as well? Thanks.

17. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

I use a Cignette FM transmitter (lost the charging cable for it though). It works really well.... assuming you don't want a DIRECT connection with your head unit....

18. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

I have a Honda S2000 with no aux input from the factory. I used this product to add a 8mm headphone jack to my car. This works great for audio. I am still searching for a charging solution better than a cigarette lighter to usb adapter. I want a dock connector with one cable that can be hardwired to power and have an audio plug.

19. iPhone envy macrumors member

Your link goes to a generic site. What product do you use specifically?

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have a Pioneer deck that has a USB port that works flawlessly, but since you don't have that, I'd recommend getting a Griffin Auto Pilot. This will charge your iPhone as well as use an auxiliary connection to your stereo straight from the Griffin Auto Pilot. The other cool thing is, it has controls on the charging unit for next, previous, play and pause. It also pauses the iPhone when you unplug it or turn off the car (however, it doesn't automatically play for some reason).

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot

21. bina12834 macrumors regular

i recommend this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UK2HE over that. cant go wrong with a wireless remote.

22. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

A regular car? As opposed to what?

23. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

I'm also looking for something like this. I've got an '05 scion and those didn't come with the AUX unfortunately. I've always seen FM transmitters at stores like Ross and Marshalls for like 10 bucks. I was gonna get one (since they're cheap and if they don't work I'm not in that bad of a situation) but I'm interested on what you guys are using.

24. SuperKat macrumors regular