what do you want from the next iPhone? (hardware change, not software)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by illegalprelude, Mar 18, 2009.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

So im curious on and when and if the next gen iPhone comes out, what features are people looking for? Im not asking for software because it seems like 3.0 has addressed a lot of the issues and there can always be software bumps to address most people's needs. But the 3G iphone gave us things like GPS and louder speaker that software cannot fix, so im curious what people want.

The few things that comes to my mind is, I dont mind the unit being slightly thicker, but longer battery life, now with Push notification and such coming.

Louder speaker, both in terms of in ear and speaker mode, can never be too loud right or atleast giving us the option to be louder if need be :D

Time for a better camera. I dont care for megapixel count but just a better camera and maybe to that, video? :eek:

so im curious as to your needs/wants when a new hardware hits.

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

3. MurphyM macrumors 6502

There's not much I'd change. Thinner, better speaker. They did pretty damn good the first time out.

I can't stand how long many GPS units take to get a signal, if there was anything to do there I'd like that.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

32GB of storage at $299. If SSD prices can drop like they have since the MBA came out (near the time of the 16GB iPhone), then Apple can put more storage in their flash-based devices at the same price. They did it with the iPod shuffle, now it's time to step it up on the dad burn iPhone.

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Thinner (Or Appears and feels thinner)
    Better Camera (Better Lens Please!)
    Video (Technically Software)
    Higher Resolution Screen
    Dual Core CPU and Higher Clock Speed (Cash in on the Gaming Possiblities)
    Longer Battery Life (Work the UMBP 17" Technology in there?)
    Wireless Sync
    Wireless Charge
    32Gb+

6. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

See, I think apple is so focused on getting their device thinner every time that battery gets lift behind because of this. I wouldnt mind a slightly bulkier phone or the same size as the original unit if i could somehow get 10hrs of real usage out of it vs the 5hr talk time now

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I will add: no more cheap plastic! Different material please, that has a better grip.

How is the wireless charge possible?

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

All the things mentioned would be nice.
    Additionally, I would like to have a colored LED somewhere on the case of the phone. You could set it to light up when you have new mail, txts, alerts, etc. Maybe it could be set to different colors for mail or txt or whatever. Just looking for ultimate laziness and not wanting to unlock my phone to see if I have new mail. :)

9. D-Jam macrumors member

A flash on the camera. The current one uses shutter speed to take photos. Granted that will take clearer photos...but only if you can keep it very stable. Not like you can mount an iPod on a tripod. I don't think camera phone users are looking for DSLR quality.

Longer batter life is another one I'd vote on.

I'm not too hardcore on the "thinner" thing because I don't need a paper-thin phone. Just something else that can get easily broken. Like another said, I'd gladly give up thinness for more battery life.

32GB would be nice, but I can live without it.

I'm not really interested in tethering. If I want to use my laptop I'll find a hotspot. Lord knows there are tons of places one can go to get on a network legally.

I would like Flash support, but I don't need better processing and such. If we're going that far then you might as well get a laptop. I think the more stuff you add that makes it into a laptop the more expensive it becomes. Suddenly it's a $2000 phone.

I'd also like it if you could use the iPhone as an external drive the way you can with iPods.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I wouldn't mind something as thick as the 5th-gen iPod (now the classic) if they could cram about 64GB of flash in there and increase the battery life. I'm not one of those people who wants to hold something the size of a credit card to make phone calls. As you can guess, I'm also not exactly a fan of the MacBook Air and could care less about the MBP getting thinner. Does Apple have Kate Moss on its staff?

11. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

No, it has Steve Jobs :eek:

(Too soon? ;))

12. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i think it would be pretty cool to have a camera on the front for video chatting... but then again - i doubt AT&T would be able to have high enough speeds to have that feature and for it to be useful...

if the apple mirror on the back was convex so you could see what you were taking a picture of (i.e on qik if you want to stream yourself) that'd be pretty cool i guess.

i hope the next iPhone is aluminum. i don't like the look, shape and feel of the 3G.. which is why i stick with my beautiful 2G.

i also wouldn't mind longer battery life (however i have never run out - except on car rides while playing pokemon for 4 hours on an emulator - and while tethering)

i guess i'm really okay with everything just the way it is. it'd be cool if it was faster - or had a better 'free memory' button like in iStat that doesn't crash your phone.

more RAM i guess and a faster processor couldn't hurt. bundled together with a bigger battery for the same battery life - apps could go above and beyond.

13. King Luis macrumors 6502

longer lasting battery
    leather back or something similar to the bb bold.

14. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Forward Facing Camera
    3.2 MP Autofocus Rear Camera with LED or even better Xenon Flash
    50% greater battery life
    Some type of rubberized matte finish back
    A Status LED in the home button
    32GB Version
    Size can stay the same
    Stereo Speakers

15. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

Better lens and sensor with autofocus.
    Higher resolution screen.
    Dual Core CPU and higher hlock speed with more RAM.
    Longer Battery Life.

16. Macabron macrumors member

Macabron

Same here.

17. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Better Battery.
    No Lag.
    Slimmer design, metal (or metal-look) back.

18. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

well we got Stereo bluetooth with 3.0 hehehe

But im curious, would you really use that? I mean I never really use my phone as a music device unless its on a dock.

19. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Well stereo speakers would improve that sound quality of the device, I think this would be essential with any turn by turn nav app. Also the speaker phone quality would be much better.

20. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

ALU Back

Higher res screen

Better batt

32GB

Dreams:

Slide out but in the same size as the 2G

As we know:
    It will most likely have the processor from the iPod Touch 2nd Gen and that is faster. 2 core wil be the 4th gen :p

21. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I hope it's a unibody aluminum design, like the MacBook. I don't really care if the battery is removable or not, but it would be nice to have access to it. Basically I hope the iPhone looks like that mock-up design that's floating around - although I don't care about the front-facing camera, just seems like a gimmick to me. Oh and I hope that battery technology is improved when the new iPhone is released (in 2010 or early 2011).

22. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I feel the same way. Even though some would complain at first, I'm sure they would live once they found out they could go a lot longer without charging.

+ a'Million

OP, See Sig below. I can dream.

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure my GPS doesn't have stereo sound, just some annoying guy that says he lost the GPS signal every time I turn the thing on.

Also, two channels of sound won't necessarily make it better. I also don't see room for another speaker unless you move the microphone (which won't happen), move the dock connector (right!) or make the iPhone about twice as thick.

24. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Ah man, I remember you.

You're still standing by your word aren't you?

No new iPhone 'till 2010/2011 huh?

Well, I still hope youre wrong but I respect your opinion.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

ALU blocks reception ... so I hear.
    I wouldn't really mind ALU as I AT&T sucks regardless ... plastic or otherwise. I would like to keep the white, whatever they choose. Thinner? Well I am not sure it's wise/possible to get thinner without getting wider or longer. They need space. I would love to see better battery life. Seems if I turn the screen off and on during a day of heavy texting or even a night of heavy e-mail viewing and such the battery is toast. Otherwise, my gripes are with AT&T.