Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
What I would like to see*:
64-256 GB storage
Good quality lens for camera
10+ hour (real life use) battery (will take slightly thicker phone if necessary)
Stereo speakers
Louder speakers (it's hard to hear the phone ring in a bar)

Since I get a better signal with the plastic, I prefer to keep the plastic.
I don't know if zoom is software or hardware related, but it'd be nice to have. However, it's not on my list of iPhone things to bitch about.

*may not see for years, if ever

=MuLti-CeLL=

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
m0biLe
they had the perfect opportunity to kill the rumours at the launch of 3.0 when they were asked about new hardware.

Instead they went along the lines of "no news today" but if they said there would not be a new phone and with 3.0 being well received a lot of people with contracts ending now would go with the iphone and just wait for the software update.

If it turns out that there will not be a new phone, they will have shot themselves in the foot and loose some business they could have secured now IMO.

MP

Ya know, I hadn't really thought about this, but its actually a really good point.

In the Q&A, you're right, if they had no plans for new hardware and the 'just announced' 3.0, why wouldn't they have just said something like "Current 3G model will remain our flagship phone for quite sometime".

If they would have said something to this degree, you would assume most folks would be rushing out to buy 3G's, especially anyone waiting for something new at WWDC.

As long as I've been waiting (2 years) that would pretty much answer my question as if to wait or not.

Just think about how many iPhones they would have sold in an hour and the following day after such statement was made.

Good point, very good point.

Haephestos

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
This is what I want (but not necessarily have):
  • I don't mind the unit being a bit thicker
  • Better camera (better lenses and image sensor, 3.2 MP min, video, optical zoom)
  • iChat cam
  • Better Battery
  • ARM Cortex A9 Processor (2-16 cores possible)
  • PowerVR SGX543 or Tegra 650 GPU
  • TV signal receiver
  • OLED display
  • More and faster RAM
  • Gesture area (above and below screen, can be used for gaming, navigation, etc.)
  • Touch Bumpers (for games)
  • Carbon Fiber back + plastic apple for arial

txr0ckabilly

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Southwest Louisiana
I'd like to see all of the things mentioned. I can only add one more thing and that's a built in port cover/door. I'm tired of blowing dust out of the ports on this thing. I have cases that have this accessory but I lose them. It would also prevent any more dust getting under the screen. I've got one big speck of dust under the screen on this phone right now and it annoys the crap out of me.

Maybe a water resistant iPhone? I can dream....

Merlinwiz

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
All I want is...

5mp camera + video (essential for more sales and stop the iphone haters)

Maybe....

Smaller length, space above and below the screen seems to be wasted and 15mm could be shaved off.
Bit thinner,
Bit faster processor,

and flash support, multiple sms, receive and send video mms.

Everything else has been sorted in 3.0.

LukeW16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2008
What i'd like

- Better camera ( 3mp, zoom and video recording )
- Also camera on front ( dont mind if its basic but enough for decent video calls etc.)
- Better quality and louder speakers
- Faster processor

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
  • Matte case, still plastic so signal is maintained.
  • Camera Front/Back
  • BETTER Camera
  • LED indicator a la sleep indicator on Macs to let you know about SMS, Calls, Voicemail, etc.
  • 32GB would be good, anything higher is excessive
  • Better battery life is always a plus

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
The upcoming revision will probably be something to this tune:
2 models:
$199, 16gb iPhone dual core
same screen res
"turbo" 3G
x megapixel photo/video camera
improved GPS
60% better battery

$299, 32gb iPhone quad core
hi resolution screen
"turbo" 3Front facing camera for video chat
30% better battery life
improved GPS

Both would have WiFi 802.11 n as well and suppot wifi syncing. Maybe.

SatanLover

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
See, I think apple is so focused on getting their device thinner every time that battery gets lift behind because of this. I wouldnt mind a slightly bulkier phone or the same size as the original unit if i could somehow get 10hrs of real usage out of it vs the 5hr talk time now

if you don't care about a slightly bulkier phone, why don't you just buy one of those extra batteries that plug into the bottom of your phone?

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
The upcoming revision will probably be something to this tune:
23 models:
$99
Higher res OLED
Same basic phone with the new Touch processor
New "Turbo" 3G

$199, 16gb iPhone dual core Touch One core processor
same screen res OLED
"turbo" 3G
x megapixel photo/video camera Prolly 2.5 or 3MP
improved GPS Prolly software would fix that
60% better battery 30 at best

$299, 32gb iPhone quad core Maybe two cores but i doubt it this round
hi resolution screenOLED
"turbo" 3G
Front facing camera for video chat If it's on one it's on all of them
30% better battery life
improved GPS see above

Both would have WiFi 802.11 n as well and suppot wifi syncing. Maybe. Bluetooth sync, as well as the tethering via bluetooth like we have seen in the screenies

quad core come on i think my corrections are a bit more realistic

LifeHacker

Suspended
Mar 22, 2009
Newport, South Wales, UK
I will add: no more cheap plastic! Different material please, that has a better grip.

How is the wireless charge possible?

Wireless charge can be achieved (I think) via electromagnetic induction. There has been a fairly new technology developed (1yr or 2) and it possible on smaller devices such as phones and such. So in theory this can already be achieved. Besides, I think the Palm Pre already has this functionality

xkRoWx

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Canada
Flash on the iPhone is ridiculous. Somebody will write an app and turn the phone into a hazard (think strobe flashing while driving). Flash will eat a lot of battery, and looking at the current hardware, there's just no room for flash.

Video camera is just software enabled. Jailbroken phones can already do this.

Unless Apple designs its own image sensor for the iPhone, 2.0 is the maximum resolution given the size of the camera mounted on the logicboard. More megapixel will require a bigger sensor and a better lens, thus using more space. The phone is already packed enough as it is. There is no point for iPhone to engage in megapixel war with Sony Ericsson and Nokia, 2.0MP is good enough. I take great pictures with the iPhone, and all you need is a steady hand and sufficient light.

Remember, the iPhone is a media smartphone. The only sensible upgrades it will get is a better screen, like OLED (also improves battery life); bigger memory (up to 64GB depending on how well Samsung designs them); and a bigger capacity battery for longer battery life.

Seriously, people. Get realistic here.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
I don't think it'd be 'wrong' if apple has more than one model.

iPhone, 8/16 gig, 3.2(or more) megapixel camera, possibly slimmer. could cut some hardware functionality like GPS for cost ,etc.

iPhone Pro 16/32 Gig, 8 megapixel camera with flash.

iphone flip/compact/etc. similar to iphone, compact, fold. physical keyboard + touchscreen. i'd just like to see apple try their hand at the concept.

PR.

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
Bedford, UK
Everything I want has probably already been said:

More storage (our work place only got the 8Gb version, would want 16/32 as minimum)
Better camera with flash for the back
Video Conferencing camera on the front
Video recording
Long battery life
Thinner (not at the expense of battery life)
Wireless sync (is a software/itunes thing anyway)
Better reception
Built in compass functionality for maps

xkRoWx

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Canada
I don't think it'd be 'wrong' if apple has more than one model.

iPhone, 8/16 gig, 3.2(or more) megapixel camera, possibly slimmer. could cut some hardware functionality like GPS for cost ,etc.

iPhone Pro 16/32 Gig, 8 megapixel camera with flash.

iphone flip/compact/etc. similar to iphone, compact, fold. physical keyboard + touchscreen. i'd just like to see apple try their hand at the concept.

One model to rule them all. Why make so many models when you can have one perfected? This is the problem with other cellphone manufacturers, they make so many models that people often don't even know what they have anymore.

Seriously, enough with the megapixel and flash. It's not going to happen. Take apart a 8MP phone and compare that to the iPhone camera. Tell me the difference.

ARGHHHH!:mad:

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
One model to rule them all. Why make so many models when you can have one perfected? This is the problem with other cellphone manufacturers, they make so many models that people often don't even know what they have anymore.

Seriously, enough with the megapixel and flash. It's not going to happen. Take apart a 8MP phone and compare that to the iPhone camera. Tell me the difference.

ARGHHHH!:mad:

You said it, friend. I don't understand why different types of people would even need different modes of functionality from a phone anyway. Apple has banked on the notion that regular people can use email, internet, and music capabilities on a phone. The rest of the iPhone's functionality stems from developers, who figured people might want utilities, games, and so forth. Here is the thing though - besides the business market which Apple is moving toward by making the iPhone more server (and sync) friendly, is the iPhone, limited by its hardware, unable to cater to a select audience? No. Thus, there is no point to an iPhone Pro because unlike the MacBook Pro, for example, the iPhone doesn't need a better hardware version to run hardware taxing application - it's just a phone, and its limited by its size, by its battery life, and by the fact that it has to primarily serve the function of a phone. Thus, the whole "Pro" argument is as ridiculous as the nano argument. It's basically creating a device that doesn't serve a purpose, which addresses a market that doesn't exist.

bingbong951

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2009
they need to..

I Dont Have An Iphone But I Want One Sooo Bad. Im In A Contract So I Cant Really. But I Wish Apple Would Go With Other Services Like Sprint And Verizon!! That Way Everyone Could Own A Iphone And It Would Be One Happy Apple World!!!!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.