Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclo

Managing Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
We haven't really heard any details on what's coming in watchOS 5. What are you hoping to see?

jclo

Managing Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I’d like to see Apple allow developers to add 3rd party watch faces to the App Store.

Yeah, me too. That's a huge one. Even if it's vetted in some way, or limited to major developers/major companies that can be trusted to create quality watch faces.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
We haven't really heard any details on what's coming in watchOS 5. What are you hoping to see?

Traditionally there has not been many details/rumors released on prior WatchOS versions. That said, Not just additional third party watch face kit access watch for developers, but some type of watch face store where You can further choose and detail watch faces. That would be a monumental addition.

Reactions: decypher44

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
-I want some improvements on the activity app, like being able to set rest days, new achievements for achieving some step goals for exemple.

-Being able to disable the auto brightness

-Being able to set font size bigger or being able to set text color white on black background on the message app.

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
I'd like more options to display the apps; the cluster of little circles is pretty chaotic. Also would like a more comprehensive iPhone app to configure the watch in greater detail, as well as an iPad app to do the same, and perhaps a MacOS version.

Reactions: smoking monkey

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
It could show a red dot indicator for notifications that came in while the watch was locked, off my wrist, charging and so on. Showing notifications is a big part of its job. I shouldn't miss anything just because the watch wasn't unlocked/on my wrist.

Then, I'd like the watch to tap me if I wear it and forgot to unlock it, or if the watch locks itself while I'm wearing it (perhaps if the wrist strap is too loose.)

Would also like a swipe in from the right of the watchface to bring up a music overlay like with the workout app. Swipes from the left could still switch watchface or do something else, something more useful, becuase seriously, how often do people really switch watchfaces? Personally I only ever use one single face and I'm happy with that. I'd rather have the side swipes open for other, more useful actions.

Reactions: xpxp2002

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
I’d really like to see a proximity notification when the watch loses Bluetooth contact with the iPhone, and of course have it as a user selectable option.

The wife seems to always be running out the door to work in the morning and leaving her iPhone behind in random places around the house. The feature could also be useful for battery hawks, as switching to WiFi and cellular inflicts some pretty rapid battery drain.

Reactions: rbrian

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
- automatic activity detection (either via the watch or iOS12 on the iPhone, which can detect cycle, running, etc)
- better activity app
- sleep tracking (native)
- automatic turning off of wifi, bluetooth, etc to save power when not used for more than so many mins and then all turning on again when movement is detected (which the Pebble used to do)

jclo

Managing Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I’d really like to see a proximity notification when the watch loses Bluetooth contact with the iPhone, and of course have it as a user selectable option.

The wife seems to always be running out the door to work in the morning and leaving her iPhone behind in random places around the house. The feature could also be useful for battery hawks, as switching to WiFi and cellular inflicts some pretty rapid battery drain.

This would definitely be useful, and is something Apple Watch owners have wanted for quite some time. There are third-party apps that sort of have this functionality, but can only send the alert to the iPhone because the Apple Watch loses its connection (with the exception of the LTE one, I'd guess). It seems like there should be a way for Apple to implement it, though.

I'd like to see Apple make some changes to the Siri watch face to make it more useful. If third-party apps were able to take advantage of it, the Siri face could provide much more relevant information.

An always-on display would be nice, too, but we're probably not there yet in terms of battery life.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
I’d love an another version of the Modular watch face that replaces the large center complication with three small ones.

Edit: I would also like the option to delete all my old iMessages at once.

Last edited:
Reactions: smoking monkey

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
  • Improved Siri integration with stock apps
  • Offine Siri mode
  • More Watch faces
  • Allow third party Watch faces
  • Improved activity tracking - like distinguish from standing and sitting.
  • Podcast on Watch
  • Allow Watch to download software update via WiFi than over paired iPhone Bluetooth when connected to charger
  • Improved active / mirror sync with iPhone such as contacts, Message etc. - Message deleted from iPhone will also be deleted off the Watch etc
  • Allow third party apps LTE access
  • Ability to automatically detect workout
  • Apple owned sleep tracking app
  • Always on display

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexeyD

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
Yeah, me too. That's a huge one. Even if it's vetted in some way, or limited to major developers/major companies that can be trusted to create quality watch faces.

This is such a contentious one really. The current model is a partnership deal of course and only Nike and Hermes have really done that I can't see why traditional brands would want to or why one would want it.. if they are pursuing the smart watch market at all they want the manufacturing and tend to be going for Android variants if at all.

I'm not seeing an opening for this since Apple's faux pas with the Hans Hilfiker clock face similarity episode in iOS.. I think they may very well consider watch faces something that needs very careful copyright checking.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would say another most requested feature is always on display. Although I’m sure Apple is fully aware that they could implement this if they want to, they likely have not because of image retention and battery requirements. My thoughts are once Apple transitions into micro LED, then they _might_ introduce an always on display.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
iCloud back up because back up via Bluetooth is slow & unreliable. A few times I unpaired the watch & it failed to create back up.
Automatically start, pause, resume & stop for workout like walking, running & biking.
Add to (Remove from) Library & Love Song buttons on Apple Music (in addition to Now Playing)
Live step Complication.

Reactions: Lennyvalentin

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
With micro LED display tech on an WATCH, would there ever be a reason to not include an always on display? (Other than the typical, notorious Apple stubbornness)

Micro led improves the following listed below over OLED:

[Utimately it _could_eliminate the causation of image retention and significantly increase The battery efficiency, which are two area’s in the Apple Watch that are of concern currently:]
  • Improve battery power by as much as 300 percent. (Considerable less power draw. )
  • Eliminate the need for backlighting unlike traditional LCDs.
  • Allow for higher-resolution screens with improved color gamut than other display technologies.
  • Provide two to three times the brightness of their OLED counterparts under the same power consumption.

Last edited:

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
  • Health analysis and better coaching features.

The Watch captures a good deal of data and there’s a lot more that could be analysed. See what Fitbit does.

Also I’d like to see better coaching and the ability to enter what your health goal(s) is/are.
  • Female period tracking/analysis
‘Nuff said.

Apart from that, as many others have mentioned, some sort of always on display, although one that’s discreet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.