What Do You Want To See Happen To AppleTV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ^^ CoolMacLover, Feb 5, 2010.

1. ^^ CoolMacLover macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

What Do You Want To See Happen To AppleTV?

So what is it you would like to see happen to Apple TV? Anything from hardware to software.

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

3. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

What's DLNA?

I'd like to see better external drive compatibility w/o any hacks needed

4. Tech-Minded macrumors regular

But then Apple wouldn't be able to sell larger hard drives for more money!

I would also like to see DLNA compatibility; it would be extremely useful for multiple televisions.

5. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

I want it to have an up convert similar to blu ray players. This and 1080i/p.

6. BORIStheBLADE macrumors regular

BORIStheBLADE

Play more file types.
    A controller with more buttons.
    1080p.
    sata compatible.

7. njvan macrumors member

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Definetly Sata compatible and perhaps allowing the use
    of the USB port ?

9. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

Better internals I guess, would the A4 with a decent GPU be powerful enough?

10. macadam212 macrumors regular

I'll happily pay more for a larger hard drive, just give us the option!

11. rayward macrumors 68000

1080p compatible
    1080p upscaling
    Stretch / zoom 4:3 content
    Ability to play all the same file types as Front Row
    The option to force a sync from the ATV
    Less heat, and a "proper" off switch so that it stays off

12. Lara F macrumors 6502a

An app store (Spotify and Slingplayer would be awesome - with Boxee Box, Popbox etc coming out you'd think it'd be a no-brainer on Apple's part)
    External HD access
    Perian and Flip4Mac codec support

I understand the 1080p desire but it's moot for me since my TV's 720p anyway.

13. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

I personally would like to see Hulu support, but that competes with iTMS. I would also like to see it used as a DVR for Cable/Antenna.

14. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I would love an off switch. Mine doesn't really turn off anymore at all. Even a software update might help. Just something to keep it from constantly running. I almost never use it anyway because Netflix streams for free to my Xbox and the selection of movies is still so hit or miss. I'm really disappointed in Apple TV. It is the one Apple product that I don't recommend anyone get.

15. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA)

This is what is being built into most Network TV's, Blu-Ray Players, XBOX, PS3, Wii etc. You would be able to get access to any DLNA Server. Windows 7 has native server support. You would have access to internet video like Hulu and much more. It is an open standard for access to all media. I believe there are available DLNA Servers for MAC OS.

16. zedsdead macrumors 68040

A hardware update, since it has never had one.

Then, an app store.

17. glaikit macrumors newbie

Either DVR or an app store that would allow someone like Elgato to add a peripheral (like the Playtv for the Playstation). I'd love an apple tv but the hardware is years out of date now and I need it to replace my cable box under my tv before I could justify buying one.

I can't help feeling that Apple are missing a great opportunity with the AppleTV. I don't know how it would work in other countries but a freeview version, or a partnership with Virgin or Sky, in the UK could sell millions.

18. Dan-- macrumors regular

Updated HW for:
    • Ability to do 1080p
    • SATA
    • Web browser with Flash support for Hulu (sigh - ain't gonna happen)
    • Hulu access
    • Media server version and satellite (stream only) version
    Other:
    • App store.
    • Out of the box support for external drives
    Do not want (don't want to pay for):
    • Bluray/DVD
    • Built in DVR/tuner (but wouldn't mind support for DVR via USB add-on)

19. bonsaidetective macrumors member

And an updated remote.

Attached Files:

20. aced411 macrumors 6502

I second that. For crap sakes enable the blasted USB port!!!!!! If their concerned about selling the high end model, only include a port on the high end model.

21. Dan-- macrumors regular

Oh, and able to run cool.

An off switch might be nice, but if they can drastically reduce the power and make it run cool, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

22. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

Just why would you want that? It is one of the best features of the ATV that it displays all material in its correct aspect ration on a 16:9 display. With my old DVD player I was always having to switch aspects so that 4:3 didn't get stretched on my TV (I really miss the SCART connection I had in the UK which handled the switching). I have 14:9 material which my TV doesn't handle so for the DVDs I have to lose a little top and bottom to fill the screen or have the picture window-boxed whereas my ATV rips of said discs display perfectly filling the full screen height and having small black bars down the side.

It is a crime to distort the image to appease your misguided belief that your whole screen is full. To quote my idiot brother-in-law: "I paid for a 42" screen and I want it all used so I need to get rid of the black bars...." Duuurrrr.

23. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

A Blu-ray/DVD drive and a DVR with digital tuner. I would buy one in a second and I bet millions more would if those features were added.

24. fpnc macrumors 68000

Actually, for what it was designed to do (play iTunes Store content) the Apple TV hardware is still okay. I do wish it had an on/off button and a true standby mode. Other than that, it should have the ability to decode at least 30fps 720p video (that might be able to be done with just a software update).

In any case, what Apple really needs to make is a standalone iTunes media and file server. This could work with Macs/PCs, the Apple TV, and the upcoming iPad. With a standalone file server the iPad should be able to function pretty much independently from a computer (i.e. no real need to pair the iPad with a full-featured Mac or PC). This server would offer expandable hard drive storage (multiple terabytes) and would sync all of your iTunes content with your Apple TV and the iPad (and also your Mac/PC if you had one). It would cost less than a Mac mini since it would have no need for video outputs, an optical disc, or large amounts or DRAM and it would use a fairly low-powered CPU (kind of a stripped-down net-top but with simple options for hard disk expansion).

25. bigpatky macrumors regular

bigpatky

1. FULL 1080p ( honestly the 1/2 a** 720p is a complete joke in 2006 let alone 2010)
    2. DLNA (gives you play-on which = hulu, along with your full collection of movies and tv shows without needing a large hard drive connected to the apple tv)
    3. full codec support (not just itunes compatible codecs, this would include full container support like .mkv)
    4. app store (like boxee- mlb.tv, netflix, etc.)

apple has until the boxee box comes out to get my money. honestly, i don't see it happening.