What do your friends think?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by profmatt, Apr 4, 2015.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I continue to be excited about the AW and I am certain to pre-order one at 8.01am on Friday 10th April.

As well as chatting to people on here (who may not be representative!) I've talked about it to all my friends. Absolutely none of them have any interest in getting an AW. Despite most of them having iPhones. Indeed, some have said they'd be embarrassed to have one.

I've said before Apple are going to need we early adopters as brand ambassadors (to much derision, I might add!).

Is the AW going to be a runaway success from Day One? I'm not so sure.

It has also slowly dawned on me that it is really quite expensive!

2. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I have some friends and family who are getting one.

If anyone told me they'd be "embarrassed" to own one, I'd question their personal priorities. It's a smart watch. What's embarrassing about owning a smart watch? It's not like you're required to wear them while nude. LOL.

Your friends are insecure.

3. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

Haha. I say "friends", I mean "students". They're teenagers. So, yeah, they're insecure, lol.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Naw...

[​IMG]

That said my one friend wants one for the sole purpose of sending me dick doodles...

5. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Hahahaha! Tell'em you're too old to care.

6. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Most of my friends think it's stupid. My mom wants to get one though, mostly for the fitness aspect. One other person I know said they wanted one, but they couldn't justify the cost.

7. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I already asked my husband to be prepared for my creative sketches. ;)

8. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

Oh, I don't care. I'm getting come what may.

9. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

My kids are 24, 17, and 14. They're all interested. 24 will buy one. 17 may...he's not into new gadgets much. 14 is hinting at liking the look of the pink Sport model. LOL.

10. jellybean macrumors regular

I remember having the same kind of conversation with my friends when the iPhone first came out. Nobody "got it", and I would be bombarded with opinions about how the Nokia 97 was better "because the iPhone doesn't do MMS or bluetooth", never mind the fact that it had a revolutionary new touch interface. It could've included a feature which raised the dead and made its owner immortal, but none of that would've mattered "because you can't remove the battery."

It was a completely new paradigm and it took time for people to understand it properly, and the same will be true for the Apple Watch.

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I know. I just like to mess with the heads of youths.

When I taught, I taught 1st and 4th grades. I was 34 when I started teaching. My students thought I was anything from 21 to 50. They all think their instructors are ancient anyway. ;)

12. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

I think that's like people who are moaning the battery life is "only" 18 hours. I really don't see the difficulty with charging it every night when I go to bed.

13. bunnicula, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015

bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Same here. Now, those same people are the reason I have to wade through a sea of humans to get service in an Apple retail store today.

14. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

All my friends think it's stupid to pay that much for a watch that'll barely get a day of battery. Plus they all think $450CAD is way too much for a smart watch.

15. jellybean macrumors regular

LOL! Love it! :)

16. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

My friends are waiting to see mine. Like me, none of them are worried about charging it every night since they already charge their phones. My husband is probably going to get one but he will not order his until mine comes in (just like the phones each time). He will try the different ones on in Berlin in May to chose his strap (I expect leather to win) but we will order it to arrive a day or so after we return to Hawaii.

PS: the demos and commercials won him over.

17. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

A lot of my coworkers who are gadget freaks like me will be getting one. But they are highly upset about it not being waterproof and the battery only last one day.

I personally don't see the big deal in either. I don't sleep with my watch now, and won't while it charges. Apparently, some people shower with their watch and they are worried with the Apple watch you cannot (even though Tim Cooks says he did). I can go without notifications for 10 minutes while I shower.

18. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I don't like wearing watches while I sleep or while I shower, so this is a non-issue for me.

I wouldn't worry about taking one in the shower. If they say you can shower with it, I feel sure AppleCare+ will cover water incidents.

19. Glene macrumors 6502

The minute my friends see me answer, forward or even check and email without pulling on my phone from my pocket, is the day that they will be amazed. I guarantee it.

Most of my friends right now really don't care anything about the watch.

20. GrumpyMom, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015

GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I'm part of the Maryland-DC-VA Tech Corridor environment. I don't think anyone will care. It's not come up in conversation yet because I only just started thinking about getting one a couple of days ago. But it's not going to surprise anyone if I turn up wearing one even if the damned thing is going to look ridiculously large on me. A lot of the people I hang out with are either employed in some sort of tech industry or are married to or domestically partnered with someone who is. And nearly all are already Apple customers. There aren't that many Android users among us.

I was the first to get the giant IPhone 6Plus and that was after the annoyingly long wait for AT&T to ship it out. The other moms I hang out with admired it and asked me the pros and cons of it. I gave them an honest evaluation and some got ones of their own that they proceeded to bling the hell out of.

If I happen to be the first in my crowd to get the Apple Watch I'll happily explain why I wanted it and why it's worthwhile to me...if I'm asked. Otherwise I'll just wear it in silence like any other watch.

Oh wait I just saw the part where you say you all are teenagers. Well honestly I don't know that many teenagers whose parents would get them one or who have their own discretionary income to spend on it. So I'm guessing they are being dismissive because they know it's not in their reach anyway.

Most parents feel it's enough to give their kids tablets and cell phones. I know some very affluent parents who are still very conservative about buying Apple products for their teens. This is entirely new and expensive tech and some parents are reluctant to hand it off to kids who may not have proven the necessary level or responsibility.

21. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Email?

22. SuperMatt macrumors 6502

SuperMatt

What's wrong with email?

23. tigerinexile macrumors newbie

My friends think I'm crazy to get it, but they also expected me to get it.

Bleeding edge!

Unlikely any of them will go for it. Most of them are a gen or two behind on iPhones, or have Android devices. All hate Apple's walled garden.

24. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Never mind. I had it in my head that there wasn't an email app on the phone.

25. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

None of my friends or family are even remotely interested in getting one, but I'm used to that. No one I know gets an iPhone or iPad at launch either.

On a side note, does anyone know if the animated emojis can be sent to any one who can receive text messages? And will the animate on their end? If so, this will be somewhat akin to the signature in emails that says 'sent from an iphone'. I'm not sugestion I'll want to show off ;), but they do look cute and I'd like to use them. I'm already disappointed that there won't be anyone I know that I can Digital Touch with, as Apple has already said that's an exclusive feature that can only be used between two AW users. It took years before I could FaceTime with anyone, so I expect this to be the same.