What does apple tv 2 do that the ipad 2 can't do? Nothing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by henrikrox, Mar 4, 2011.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

So i got to thinking the other day, why do i need my apple tv 2 after getting my new ipad 2.

With hdmi out on the new ipad 2 i can now rent from my ipad (same prices as the apple tv 2) and show it on my tv in the same quality i get on my apple tv 2 using a hdmi cable.

I get hdmi mirroring so i can install xbmc on my ipad 2 (jailbroken) and display that on tv using hdmi mirroring.

Really to me, ipad 2 looks like a real home theater device now.

Think about it, i dont see anything the apple tv 2 can do, that ipad 2 can't.

I love the idea, sitting in the sofa, decidng what movie to see using itunes beautiful interface and just plugging in a cable into the ipad.

Just me that are thinking like this?

2. OSMac macrumors 65816

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I wouldn't like being connected by a cable between my iPad and TV
    But that's just me

4. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't think that having to keep your iPad wired to the TV all the time would be an optimal solution. I can get find an Apple TV for $60 on craigslist instead of paying $40 for an adapter. Jailbroken ATV+XBMC=best thing since sliced bread.

5. M87 macrumors 65816

Well, Apple TV is quite a bit cheaper and you don't have to connect it every time you want to watch something. I don't have one, and I'm glad because hdmi mirroring will be fine for me, but I understand why someone might prefer an Apple TV.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

And that's the problem right there.

The difference is this: The AppleTV 2 stay connected to your TV. The iPad? Plugging it in and out is a hassle. And then the AppleTV can be controlled by a remote control (or - even better - the iPad itself!)

I'm still a sucker for the elegant, minimalist beauty of the AppleTV 2's "black box" approach. I know where you are going with your thinking. But for my money (a mere hundred bucks) the AppleTV is still the way to go for watching/listening to my digital content on my biggest, sharpest screen.

7. WMuntean macrumors regular

There's my vote. It's ATV2 is amazing. I do, however, see a point about carrying an HDMI adapter with the iPad2 for movies on the go.

8. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

It's fun surfing the web while watching something on my apple tv. I guess I could just plug in the ipad and just play with my thumbs though.

9. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

you can rent on the ipad

also guys i understand your points, i really do, i meant more like "hey honey cant you find a good movie for us on the ipad"

She looks on it on the sofa, "how about the social network" "hellz ye" i say, i pick up the ipad, set it down next to the tv, and go.

Its really not that much work. Im not going to be suprise if we some kinda of dock for it also, just to put it in and you are ready to go. like hengedocks for macbooks.

10. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

just found out the new ipad 2 dock supports hdmi adapter, so you could decide on a movie, then set the ipad on the dock next to the tv, pretty nice, alteast i think so.

One question though, when you rent a movie on the ipad, does it start right away and streams like it does on the apple tv?

I kinda dont want to wait for it to download before playing the movie

11. profets macrumors 68040

For me its easy.. IR sensor, Ethernet jack and price. If ATV3 comes this year with A5 ill probably use them in several rooms with xbmc.

Question about HDMI out/mirroring.. I saw sample showing ipad home screen on the TV, but if you play video from ipad can it show in 16:9?

12. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I understand your argument but this only sounds like something that will work for someone with a studio apartment and one tv. I have 3 apple tvs hooked up around my house. There is no way I am going to put ipads in each room just to watch tv shows. I just don't see the ipad replacing the the apple tv. I mean you could hook up your laptop to your tv to watch hulu. That doesn't mean that you ned to buy a laptop for every room in your house.

13. joecatz macrumors member

Unless you are looking at a 16G ipad, you would be better off buying apple tv and getting 1 less level down in memory on the Ipad, IMO.

It's essentially $60 more than the HDMI adapter.

Apple TV is amazing. Apple TV combined with an iphone or Ipad is amazingly brilliant.

With Airplay and homesharing now on IOS, you don't need to store ANY music or videos (or even photos) on the ipad other than stuff you want "on the go"

I was planning on a 64G wifi Ipad, but I'm actually thinking about getting a 32G Ipad and anotehr Apple TV for my bedroom instead.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Apple TV 2 is $99. Why is this even a discussion?

Personally I like to stream movies from my Mac or iPad to my ATV2 w/o need of a clunky cable. Besides the iPad 2 cable is not bargain priced and it's easier to lose.

15. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

For the extra dock, HDMI connector, and power plug for the USB, I think you would be close to the price of the ATV2. You would also loose the nifty feature of using the iPad as the remote for airplay to the ATV2 and the ability to control the Atv2 with the iPad. Most importantly, while your wife decided to watch some chick flick ( or if your husband wanted to watch a female prison movie :p) your iPad would be tied up until they were finished watching the movie.

I still think the HDMI would be useful for trips out if town, but I don't want my iPad to be strapped down at home.

16. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have a feeling plugging and unplugging the iPad from the TV isn't going to be good for it doing this all the time. Things wear out, I rather wear out a $99 ($84 in the refurb store) that a $500 device, and the Apple TV stays plugged in.

True you can do that, but I like the fact the Apple TV is plugged in and stays plugged in. I can say the same thing and not get up and just turn on my Apple TV and away I go. My wife is getting the iPad 2, I doubt she want to use it for this reason. We watch movies and she'll see an actor/ actress and pick up her iPhone and see what other movies they were in. She'll probably do this with her iPad.

Agreed, I think this along is worth to have an Apple TV. I like that my Apple TV is plugged in all the time and ready.

17. PhyrePhox macrumors regular

PhyrePhox

+1 for AppleTV 2 and XBMC. Absolutely wonderful, and works well for the trouble and strife.
    Keep your iPad portable, friend.

18. urkel macrumors 68030

When I watch content on my AppleTV then I'm usually on the couch reading on an iPad. So just because the iPad CAN replace an Apple TV doesnt mean its practical.

19. brudog68 macrumors 6502

But will watching a movie via HDMI not project in 16:9 like watching via airplay and ATV...the only difference is not just the physical connection is it?

20. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

The ipad won't output 5.1 digital surround presumably or maybe it will?

21. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Apple TV + Harmony Remote + iTunes = complete access to home music library on main speaker system controlled not by the ipad (ie having to go change the track each time) but by remote which is blissfully nice. I've had an Apple TV for years and its one of the best products I've ever owned.

22. Adibobea9 macrumors member

When the HDMI cable costs $40 and ATV cost $100, I would rather pay the extra to get the extra features. The cable is way too overpriced…

23. tomandshell macrumors regular

iPad + funky dongle hanging off the bottom + one cable stretching across the room to the TV + another cable for power.

What a clean and elegant alternative to the wireless streaming of the ATV2.

24. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

These are the million dollar questions. Based on the marketing photos of the iPad2 HDMI adapter, I'm going to guess that iPad2>HDMI will result in a 4:3 (or 3:4) display only. So if you're watching a 16:9 movie on the iPad, it will show up and a postage stamp on your TV.

Airplay seems to be completely different than this since the aTV would do the video decoding and would display a proper widescreen picture.

I guess we'll have to wait for 3/11 to have concrete answers.

25. MrWillie, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie