What does "back up previous version when saving" mean in Pages?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applefan289, Sep 15, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Does this mean that the last save is backed up when saving?

Also, what does "save files as packages" mean? Both of these options are in Pages preferences in Lion.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

They're for Lion's new versions feature. It's asking if you want to create a time machine back up of sorts for your document before the changes you make to it.

3. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

So this is analogous to just saving a version whenever you want to, except it does it automatically? Or is the difference that you need a backup device like Time Capsule for the option?

Also, when I'm typing an email in Mail 5, when I start typing in Spanish, it automatically adds the accent marks and picks up that I'm typing in Spanish. This does not happen in Pages. Any way to make this happen in Pages?

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Well my Pages doesn't seem to create many versions at all by default.

Pages and iWork were designed for Lion. And they use a spell check different from the rest of the OS. I hope that Apple fixes this soon, and adds language detection and iOS-like autocorrect to iWork.

5. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sorry, I just noticed that Lion does save Versions by default. Never realized that. I thought I could just save a version when I wanted to. Now I understand more what the option means...it means to back up a previous version...

I was confused because I did not think Lion saved Versions on its own.