Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I'm aware there's a fast food business in the US called Chick-fil-A.

I've done some Googling but can't find out what "Chick-fil-A" means nor how it's pronouned - is it Chick-fil-'ay' or Chick-'filler' (which makes some sense as they fill buns with chick(en)).

Why is the A in uppercase whilst the 'f' of 'fil' is not?

What the hell does the name mean?

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I'm aware there's a fast food business in the US called Chick-fil-A.

I've done some Googling but can't find out what "Chick-fil-A" means nor how it's pronouned - is it Chick-fil-'ay' or Chick-'filler' (which makes some sense as they fill buns with chick(en)).

Why is the A in uppercase whilst the 'f' of 'fil' is not?

What the hell does the name mean?

You did some Googling and couldn't find it? I literally typed 'what does Chick-Fil-A mean' and the answer was in the first link. (including why the A is uppercase)

https://www.businessinsider.com/chi...e-chick-fil-a-at-age-46-in-suburban-atlanta-3

Wikipedia also provides the pronunciation and meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I tried to go to my local Chick-fil-a today for lunch at 1:15p.m. and the place (inside and drive-thru) was packed. I was really wanting a chicken sammich, waffle fries and a large lemonade. I was very disappointed I had to leave, because I wasn't going to wait 20+ minutes in line.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
I tried to go to my local Chick-fil-a today for lunch at 1:15p.m. and the place (inside and drive-thru) was packed. I was really wanting a chicken sammich, waffle fries and a large lemonade. I was very disappointed I had to leave, because I wasn't going to wait 20+ minutes in line.

It's the only fast food place besides In-N-Out where you can always find a crazy full drive through line.

In Reno they opened one in the same parking lot as an In-N-Out..... that's a cluster of tons of cars going in all different directions to park/get in line/ avoid people walking.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It's the only fast food place besides In-N-Out where you can always find a crazy full drive through line.

In Reno they opened one in the same parking lot as an In-N-Out..... that's a cluster of tons of cars going in all different directions to park/get in line/ avoid people walking.
The same parking lot? That does sound like a bad design and parking lot accidents waiting to happen scenario.

We don't have In-N-Out here, although I have heard that have very good burgers.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
The same parking lot? That does sound like a bad design and parking lot accidents waiting to happen scenario.

We don't have In-N-Out here, although I have heard that have very good burgers.

They were jammed together and I went on one of the opening nights to get chicken. I regretted it. May not have been Reno but was definitely one of those Nevada cities as me and a friend drove from Tahoe to get it (the only fast food there is jack in the box and mcdonalds which is.... eh after living for more than a few months)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Every once in a while a great thread is created, asking a question so simple that one's lack of interest in it underflows into intense curiosity. I have been following this thread with more anticipation than any main page article about updated Mac hardware or software.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I haven’t eaten Chick-fil-A in ten years. I liked their sandwiches very much though.

JTBing

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2015
I doubt you would have had to wait 20 minutes. One of the nice things about CFA is how consistently efficient they are at handling long lines—of course, they’re always busy so they get tons of practice.

My local CFA is top-5 in the country for drive-throughs. Not just CFA drive-throughs, but any. It’s always packed at lunch, often out to the street impeding traffic, and I still never wait more than 10 minutes from the time I pull in till I get my food.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I too am a huge fan of the restaurant. The workers seem to be a lot happier than most (not sure if they're encouraged to do this or if they're really that much more happy), food is great, and service is amazing. Prices are a little higher than most fast food restaurants, but not by a lot.

And yes, they're packed especially during rush hour times. But, unlike most fast food places, I've seen these places PACKED with workers so you usually get through in a reasonable amount of time (the ones where I live). Most restaurants skimp on workers to save $, this one does not. I have no problem giving it my $ but honestly I don't go very often.

My wife and I found a Peruvian restaurant near our house that is family run. We go there every chance we get. :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I doubt you would have had to wait 20 minutes. One of the nice things about CFA is how consistently efficient they are at handling long lines—of course, they’re always busy so they get tons of practice.

My local CFA is top-5 in the country for drive-throughs. Not just CFA drive-throughs, but any. It’s always packed at lunch, often out to the street impeding traffic, and I still never wait more than 10 minutes from the time I pull in till I get my food.
In-N-Out is fairly good about their drive through lines as well (basically because they have to be), but I've certainly waited 30 minutes in some that would go around the parking lot multiple times.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Never did get the appeal of Chick-fil-A.

A friend had it a few years ago for his birthday party. Had to endure a trip to the mall in Garden Grove to pick it up. It's what he wanted...

I guess Chick-fil-A would hold better than those soggy burgers recently served at the White House, though.

But there's really no fast food that appeals to me, and hasn't for many years. Oh, fresh out of college I went to McDonald's, Wendy's, Arby's because I didn't know any better. I find the salt/fat combo gross now. They all use the same formula that has been hit upon by the darker side of Food Science that is irresistible but unhealthy. Once you are off of it, it is gross.

Nothing like local, unique casual dining. It *can* be just as fast.

My go-tos in my neighborhood are the Italian bistro on the first floor of my building, a Persian casual lunch/dinner place a couple blocks away (the middle-eastern/African cab and Uber/Lyft drivers all flock there, that's how I know it is legit! ;) )and an occasional walk a couple blocks to a place that claims "the best chilaquiles in town". I have their refillable Agua Fresca to-go bottle that gets you a deal. (But minimal trips there, due to caloric content, LOL!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.