What does it mean when an iPhone ESN check says it is a "Droid Razr"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by desertman, Feb 24, 2014.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

I just bought an iPhone 4S on eBay (from a seller with more than 650 auctions and 100 % positive feedback).

I checked the ESN on CheckESNfree, Swappa, and Verizon - and all three websites say that this ESN belongs to a Motorola Droid Razr. With CheckESNfree the ESN comes back clean, with Swappa it comes back as "NOT proper", with Verizon it seems to be ok.

I also checked the ESN with Apple (on Apple's support page, where you can check your service and support coverage, you can use either the serial number or the ESN) it says that this is not a valid number.

See also enclosed screen shots.

What does this mean? Is this just a mistake in the database or is this an indication that this was an iPhone with a bad ESN and that the current ESN got somehow hacked into it?

Greetings - desertman

Attached Files:

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm guessing someone went in and changed the ESN, although I didn't think that was possible with newer versions of iOS.

Anyway, the form you filled out at Apple isn't for the ESN, it's for the actual device serial number.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yes, that would appear to be the issue.
    But where are you reading the ESN number from? The phone or the eBay listing? Use the phone that is on the device and check.

4. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

From the phone. It arrived today. It had iOS 7.0.5 on it and I could update it to 7.0.6.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would assume that the person who had the phone before somehow hacked the IEMI on the device to match the IEMI they got off a Droid RAZR. I'm sure it's not hard to do via a jailbreak (and there might be more ways to do it than just that).

Have you tried restoring the phone and seeing if the real IEMI number is revealed?

I don't really know much about IEMI. Perhaps the phone was flashed (permanently) or the IEMI was temporarily rewritten in the software via jailbreak. But this certainly sounds sketchy and I would file a complaint with Ebay.

EDIT: I mean ESN not IEMI.

6. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can use there the serial number or the ESN (MEID) and get the same results.

Try it for yourself: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

----------

I reset the phone as a new phone ("Erase All Content and Settings") and it has the number I used to check it.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would try restoring it from iTunes as a new device and seeing what it does. If the number doesn't change, I'd guess that someone flashed the device (somehow - I wouldn't know how) to a Droid Razer ESN.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Is there any difference if you use the iPhone's actual serial number at Apple's support page?

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

True. Can you put the serial number of the phone into one of those iPhone data bases (there are many of them online) and see if the ESNs match?

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Regarding your phone and the mixed up ESN...After a quick google search, it looks like it is possible for someone to change the ESN. It is possible that a previous owner did that on the phone you purchased.

11. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, it is. With the serial number I get a "normal" response.

12. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never heard of such databases and a Google search for "iphone database" does not bring something like that up. Which one are you usually using?

13. 869639 macrumors 6502

Few questions:

1) Did you type in all 15 Digits of IMEI = ESN/MEID or the first 14 on Verizon/Swappa?

2) Also to get the IMEI # did you do it via dialing *#06#?

3) Is the device jailbroken?

4) Do a factory restore and then see if the IMEI # changes, from the best of my knowledge it is impossible to change IMEI # on iPhones. <-- that is why I see lots of people offering unlock services for iPhones that are blacklisted via "CHIP" method where they basically setup the customer with a RSIM and the phone works....[Reliability of R-SIM I cannot comment on as I personally do not recommend the chip]

14. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

The MEID (= ESN) has usually 14 digits. The other number is the IMEI (= not ESN), and it has one additional digits and the end.

15. 869639 macrumors 6502

Yes I did read once again.

Check the SIM Tray, it should also have the IMEI #, see what it is. If its the same, that means the error is somewhere in the database on Verizon's or Apple's end.

16. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

The IMEI is the MEID with one additional digit at the end. It is also visible in the settings. What do you suggest to do with this number?

The SIM tray has a completely different IMEI number and also a completely different serial number. It is obviously not the original SIM tray because on another iPhone 4S that I have the numbers are identical.

17. 869639 macrumors 6502

Call apple, give them the serial # and ask them to read you back the IMEI number. Explain them your situation and see what they give you.

18. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

I think someone wrote a cloned ESN to the phone. If the original Motorola phone comes online and is already activated on your carrier, you will have problems.

If the seller has good feedback they should replace it with a phone that has a valid ESN or refund your money.

19. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am quite the idiot. I had a typo in the ESN and used this wrong number with Copy & Paste again and again. With the correct ESN the checks come out everywhere perfectly ok and the phone is an iPhone 4S again.

This brought me actually onto the right track. Thanks for that!

Greetings - desertman