What does "Summer" really mean?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chuckiechuckie7, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Chuckiechuckie7 macrumors newbie

No one can give a specific date at this point I realize, but when do you guys think 3.0 will actually be made public? Do you think it be come out during the week of WWDC in early June?

Please speculate...what are some current trends Apple has shown with software releases like this?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

June. I have nothing to back this up except WWDC and the 2 year anniversary to the iPhone release. That's basically it. However, lately Apple has over promised and under delivered so who knows for certain.

3. The Phazer macrumors 68030

They'll announce the new iPhone at WWDC, so I can't imagine 3.0 being released any time after that date.

Phazer

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If it's anything like last time it will be released when the new iPhone starts shipping - 5 to 6 weeks after the announcement at WWDC. Sometime round mid July. It was the 11th last year.

That's how long it takes for an expedited trip through the FCC.

5. Tosser macrumors 68030

Any date from summer solstice to autumnal equinox ... :p

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

December 21st through till March 21st. That's Summer.

7. Tosser macrumors 68030

Yes – Cupertino is north of Equator, though.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah in the Northern "weird" Hemisphere. Makes no sense having summer in the middle of the year, how on earth can you have Christmas without bushfires and baking heat and (prior to this year) staying up till 4am in the humidity to watch the MWSF announcements.

I think we'll see it mid-July. Along with people lining up again in the cold and the rain for the new shiny iPhone. While we smart ones hang out at home hitting "Update" in iTunes every 2 seconds until 3.0 pops up.

9. Tosser macrumors 68030

Snow. We need snow I tells ya. [edit: For christmas, that is]

Me too.

10. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

It generally means the rain's a bit warmer...

11. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

I really really really hope they don't screw up a launch 3 summers in a row.

It was shameful how unprepared they were in 2007, and inexcusable how unprepared they were in 2008.
    If they botch it this year again, I'll have to write my 3rd letter to them about "Potential customers who left the line, and WILL NEVER be back"
    If they are smart, at ALL, this year will look like this:

iPhone 3G.5 announced during keynote at WWDC.

3.0 released and available, immediately following the keynote at WWDC.

iPhone 3G.5 release 4-5 weeks later.

This makes sense, however Apple chooses HYPE over SENSE everyday of the week....
    Just like last year, they will sell MORE iPhones on "launch day" if the new software is NOT available until that day.
    Releasing the new software a month before the new device, regardless of new hardware features, will satisfy a large % of users gadget urges.
    Apple, however, prefers to build and then capitalize on people's gadget urges. Why satisfy those urges with free software when you can release an expensive new device instead? Sure current users could simply opt not to pick up the new device and wait for the software update, but will they?

12. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

i just want to say that this is quickly becoming my favorite time of the year. the iPhone rumors just start flying and anticipation builds until the crescendo of the summer's WWDC. it's a beautiful thing.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If Apple released an iphone that no one could turn on for 2 months because of various glitches people would still line up for 12 hours and pay any amount to get one.

14. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I think they've learnt their lesson, and this will be the plan.

Phazer

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Just be glad this isn't Microsoft we're talking about.

Summer '09 to them means September 20th, and not a day earlier.

16. diemos macrumors 6502

17. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I had to think about this one. Boy, I need some coffee....

My hope is for something to be announced in May and released in June. I'm expecting an announcement in June and release in July/August.

Reason for May Hope.

18. Tres macrumors regular

Agreed, January through to June/July is always fun on MacRumors.

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'll tell you, though. I LOVE how all the iPhone nano freaks have completely shut up after iPhone nano, which OBVIOUSLY WILL COME OUT AT MACWORLD 2009... didn't. :D

20. Spyt3 macrumors member

Spyt3

trends

apple usually releases products in june, and end of august. (buyers guide)
    as iphone stuff is big news, i'm sure they'd want to keep iphone releases and other product refreshes seperate.
    my vote's for Jun! :D

21. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

:D its hilarious.

Almost as funny as the people who managed to download install the 3.0b without reading the glaring, in-your-face warnings in the dev center.

22. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Snow Leopard.

:D

Some of them were so sure of themselves too. Their responses to what seemed like every argument against the iPhone nano were along the lines of "So you're an Apple engineer? Apple will find a way." That would have worked well when the PowerBook G5 rumors were flying around…oh wait!

23. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

I'm going to vote for June 6. My reasoning is simple:

1. Last year Apple had it at the Moscone center.

2. This year there is two "corporate meetings" booked at this center.

3. Apple held it in the West Moscone center last year.

4. This year one of the corporate events is scheduled in the West for June 6th while the other corporate event is scheduled in the North for April.

If Apple is a creature of habit I will say it will be held in the West Moscone center June 6th. :)

24. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

What? you guys DON'T think the iPhone Nano is coming out this summer?

HA! And what? Turn DOWN all those potential customers? :rolleyes:

Man, moms would LOVE a $0 phone with no data plan, but with all the benefits of an iPhone (in a smaller size, no less). You guys are IDIOTS if you don't think an iPhone Nano is coming.

Longer battery, higher res screen, smaller size, lower price, all the good features, none of the shortcomings - IT'S A NO BRAINER.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

"Summer" means "we have a release date in mind, but we are giving ourselves some buffer room just in case".