What does the need for a third party case tell us?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jollyreaper, Oct 25, 2011.

1. jollyreaper macrumors regular

Ooh, look at how pretty the phone is. Metal or glass back, all shiny and perfect. But wait, we don't want it to get scuffed up. And the screen is breakable. Let's swaddle the phone in layers of third party protective cases so they don't break the moment you look at them finny.

What's the point in having the thinnest, lightest phone on the market if the eggshell delicacy makes it so incredibly vulnerable?

As far as my personal opinion goes, the iphone is an amazing piece of software and the responsiveness of the touchscreen is great but as far as durability goes, blackberry 7250 for the win. You could drop those suckers off a roof and they'd come up smiling. RIM totally screwed up by making their units like everyone else on the market rather than sticking with and reinforcing success.

I'd be happy if Apple would release a ruggedized version of their phones to go along with the vulnerable, eggshell model. Build the damn battery into the case if you have to but make it twice as big, put more cushioning into the case, rubberized exterior. Hell yes I'm willing to take the extra bulk and weight if it means I can drop the phone and it'll come up smiling.

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

There is no need for a case.

I don't use one.

My phone is fine.

I haven't dropped a phone in the 10 years I've been using them.

Just look after your stuff.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use mine naked and have never had a problem

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I used a case for the iPhone 4 because I could barely make phone calls without one due the the antenna. However I've never used a case on any other iPhone, including the 4S.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Hmm, so what does third parties selling cases for the Blackberry 7250 tell us?

6. gillybean macrumors 6502a

well it's good that apple lets people pick what kind of case they want, some people would rather have thinness (even potentially no case), while other people need heavy protection (e.g., otterbox), some people will want to add additional battery in the case (e.g., juicebox), and most people will want something inbetween the extremes. I think designing it this way and having people add the case that suits them best is better than apple picking a "case" for everyone by building it into the phone design.

7. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

:confused:

Many of us have used our iPhones without a case and never had a problem.
    Personally, I would not buy a "ruggedized version".

8. MagnusF macrumors regular

I had the iPhone 4 from the beginning, and now i have the 4S.

Naked the entire time, nothing happened :confused:

If you have a expensive phone, take care of it and don´t drop it, Simple.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

ding ding, we have a winner!

10. jollyreaper thread starter macrumors regular

Wouldn't the number of broken phones you hear about indicate that yours is not the typical situation?

You want to know the secret to living forever? Not dying.

----------

The only ones I ever saw were vanity stockings, not actually providing real padding.

11. MagnusF macrumors regular

Oh yeah, cause you also hear about everyone that never had a problem? No?

This people experiencing broken iphones are a very very very very small % of the people.

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Ahhh, good info.

/thread

13. trouble747 macrumors 6502

I'm not seeing your point. Many consumer products, particularly 'electronics,' are relatively easy to break or damage. This goes for even things that are meant to be handled and transported (see: cameras).

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If I drop my iPhone 4S and it breaks, I will consider it my fault for dropping it, not the phone's fault for not being a tank

But that's just me

15. hexon macrumors member

I had a case for my droid. I only got one because I dropped it and scratched the screen. They make cases for every phone available pretty much. So I bought one with my iphone just in case I dropped it. Fortunately my phone is made of glass and not cheap plastic like phones from the early 2000's. It's also another customization aspect. Also, apple offers their own bumper case that isn't third party and still allows you see the phone. I hope the OP's thread was a joke. Otherwise, you may want to consider giving something 2 seconds of thought before posting next time.

This thread needs to be locked

16. jollyreaper thread starter macrumors regular

I consider myself to be agnostic. The iphone is the best product on the market but it is by no means perfect. But I've experienced Windows Mobile 6.5 and know what hell is. Iphone's deficiencies are exceeded by what Apple got right. The phone remains too damn delicate. If you haven't had a problem, bravo. But many people have.

I'm still laughing about the official Apple response to the problem with the 4 and poor reception. "You're holding the phone wrong." Classic.

I'm glad Android's offering competition because it'll be more impetus for Apple to stay on the ball, not get lazy. But I'm still surprised at the things they didn't anticipate coming out the gate. The whole battery life thing is something that should have come up in testing. My standby time is about as bad as active use right now and the steps I've taken haven't yet resolved it. I'm wondering if I might have to wait for the next patch.

----------

If I run my car into a tree it's not the car's fault for not being a tank. If I run over my phone with a car I wouldn't expect it to survive the experience. Likewise dropping it into the toilet or a pool or the ocean. But putting it into your pocket and missing or having it fall off a table onto tile, these are common dangers and the sort of thing that should be anticipated and compensated for. You can't expect a phone to survive extraordinary hazards but the common, everyday ones you'd hope they'd design for.

----------

How gracious of you.

17. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

It's not just you. I dropped my 4 TWICE and both times I blamed myself. There's a reason I have accidental drop coverage on my 4s. :)

18. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

For those who brag they've never dropped theirs, they simply fail to appreciate they've been lucky. Statistically it's only a matter of time before something happens that causes you to drop your phone.

In several years I've only had two drops. One was a very high quality plastic, the other a glass iPhone. In both cases each was damaged. That's why they're called accidents.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't brag about not having dropped my phone
    But I won't blame the phone if and when that time comes

20. j4bles macrumors member

And winning the lottery, don't forget! Gotta play to win, and you gotta have an iPhone to have a broken one :rolleyes:

21. gmhag macrumors regular

Thats one of the best things about the iphone....the fact that they are so consistent in their design that 3rd party manufacturers make a TON of case options.

Essentially, you get to design your own phone and you can change it up everyday if you want. If you want a rugged phone get a heavy duty rubberized case. If you dont abuse your phone, go caseless or get a skin or slim case. It allows people to be individuals and customize it for themselves instead of other brands where you get what they sell you.

22. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Not only do we have the best football conference in America, but we also have the smartest fans. I couldn't agree more, MacDawg! :D

23. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

It tells us!
    That there are many needs for different fox and the are being met by 3rd party :)
    I'm have my naked, body of my is not careful at all, I suggested otterbox to him.

24. naths macrumors 6502

After market cases are just another money making thing,wether its a iPhone,SGS2,HTC or whatever,all phones will break if dropped sometimes even with a case,its just the iPhone is not the most robust of products,and will break if dropped rather than scratch,i use one because there are some very nice cases out there,i use cases on both my 4S and my SGS2,keeps them looking new for resale value to....along with screen protecters...

25. jollyreaper thread starter macrumors regular

Did you use Siri to post this? :)