Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
when doing exercise, does the calories burned get calculated because of the heart rate monitor?

If not, can the phone calculate calories on its own using step information?

jwball

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2008
when doing exercise, does the calories burned get calculated because of the heart rate monitor?

Not on an iPhone 5 it can't due to not having a motion co-processor.
5s and 6 up could.

StophMac24

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Miami

From my understanding, the HR is what allows to watch to calc your calories burned.

If you have ever been on any cardio machine, it asks for the height, sex, age and weight to do a basic calc of calories burned given whatever activity you are doing. With the HR, it is much more accurate.

The phone does it in most exercise apps (RunKeeper, Nike+) without the watch. But there is something nice about not having to pull out your phone mid run because you can quickly pull up your arm and see where you're at

Last edited:

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
The really only notable thing it does differently, is make basic info easily accessible on your wrist. Which isn't necessary. I've run Ultra distances, etc, etc.. all without that... just with my phone. Not necessary, but maybe will be nice? We'll see.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
Your phone does HR as well?

----------

The really only notable thing it does differently, is make basic info easily accessible on your wrist. Which isn't necessary. I've run Ultra distances, etc, etc.. all without that... just with my phone. Not necessary, but maybe will be nice? We'll see.

Your phone does HR as well?

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Another difference, besides heart rate monitoring, is it allows a runner to track their distance without carrying their phone. The Watch is much lighter than a phablet, runners want to keep their carry weight down.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
It lets you work out without a giant phone strapped to your body, while still getting important fitness info.

It gives you a full day picture of steps taken, calories burned, etc., without you having to take your phone with you every single time you get up to pee.

AbsoluteMustard

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
Boston, USA
Being able to glance at it when running is a big thing for me

Also I don't often carry my phone around when I am at work or at home, so having activity tracking all day long is nice

jkun

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
There are plenty of apps that can accurately measure heart rate using your phone's flash and the camera to measure changes in color (i think) as your blood is pumped.

However, you're obviously not gonna keep that thing strapped to your finger all day. The watch is on your wrist all the time, which is how it can keep track of the HR in a relatively non-invasive manner.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
No, it doesn't. I said "notable".. because I personally don't care about heart rate. Never have, never will.

Ok good for u then, that u don't care about Heart rate. But many others do, but u just can't say notable To other features. And leave out one of the most important fitness feature, of the AW which is the HRM. Because u don't care about HR. The question that ask is, what does the watch do for fitness that IPhone can't? And I believe the answer is HR.

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
Ok good for u then, that u don't care about Heart rate. But many others do, but u just can't say notable To other features. And leave out one of the most important fitness feature, of the AW which is the HRM. Because u don't care about HR. The question that ask is, what does the watch do for fitness that IPhone can't? And I believe the answer is HR.

Don't get so upset. Just the internet. And it's just the opinion of someone you don't know.. but an opinion I'm allowed to have. HR is not needed for 95% of people, but if you buy into that - by all means, enjoy!

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
Don't get so upset. Just the internet. And it's just the opinion of someone you don't know.. but an opinion I'm allowed to have. HR is not needed for 95% of people, but if you buy into that - by all means, enjoy!

First let me just say I am not upset. And yes u are entitled to your opinion. You say HRM is not needed for 95% of people, well no one have to go out and get a HR. But the question is, are there any benefits to using an HRM? I used my HRM along with my power meter. When I am out cycling, especially for hill repeats and intervals type training. There are so many other great benefits for using HRM etc. don't feel like getting into the details now.

Apple did a great job on the HRM. And they along with polar and Garmin to name a few. Wouldn't have HRM incorporated in to there fitness trackers. If it didn't have its benefits. But to each there own and at the end of the day it's all good.

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
First let me just say I am not upset. And yes u are entitled to your opinion. You say HRM is not needed for 95% of people, well no one have to go out and get a HR. But the question is, are there any benefits to using an HRM? I used my HRM along with my power meter. When I am out cycling, especially for hill repeats and intervals type training. There are so many other great benefits for using HRM etc. don't feel like getting into the details now.

Apple did a great job on the HRM. And they along with polar and Garmin to name a few. Wouldn't have HRM incorporated in to there fitness trackers. If it didn't have its benefits. But to each there own and at the end of the day it's all good.

What real world benefits does it have? I'm being sincere, not a jerk. I will say though.. I don't do things the normal way. I don't follow the "rules"... I won a trail marathon two weeks ago, but when people say "do this" "do that".. I'm like NO. I have never and will never follow certain guidelines. People who perform at a fraction of me will use things like HRMs.. and I just don't get the ACTUAL benefit. I feel like people just buy into things. They want more and more gadgets and accessories. But I'm also the type that refuses to use a case on a phone.

Again, don't misread my tone. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just me (admittedly, weird)... what works for one, doesn't work for others. My friends could never ever ever train the way that I do. They are more "by the book".

I'm very quick to brush things off. So I'd say there's a decent chance I am missing something with HRM's. Maybe... ;)

smchan

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
Being able to glance at it when running is a big thing for me

Also I don't often carry my phone around when I am at work or at home, so having activity tracking all day long is nice

Both of these. I need to see my heart rate at a glance when doing supersets or cardio. Dragging my phone out of my pocket is a major inconvenience.

The phone in my pocket also interferes with some exercises like back squats and deadlifts.

Not really a phone issue - but I tend to smack my chest strap HRM when I'm doing cleans or high pulls. The watch's HRM should take care of that problem.

Looking forward to being able to record my sets on the watch without having to dig out my phone.

Sam

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003

Given that your iPhone couldn't possibly be strapped to your body at all times during the day, and doesn't have a heart rate monitor, the data which the watch collects is far more inclusive and accurate.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
It lets you work out without a giant phone strapped to your body, while still getting important fitness info.

It gives you a full day picture of steps taken, calories burned, etc., without you having to take your phone with you every single time you get up to pee.

Exactly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.