What does "This." mean? in threads?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mattwolfmatt, Jul 19, 2010.

1. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I don't get all the replies to topics with one word answer: This. It seems to creep up in things that don't make sense. Someone might say, there is lots of evidence of so-and-so. Someone else replies:

This.

No link, no explanation, I don't get it.

Any explanation? Please don't reply with "This."; that would be too easy.

2. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

It usually means something along the lines of "I agree" or "good observation".

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Its basically a synonym for "+1" or "I agree". Its also against the rules of the site, but I'm sure I've broke it once or twice.

Edit: Brien beat me too it. Had I seen Brien's response before I posted, I could have just posted:

This.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Meaning it is meant to highlight a certain post that contains truth or essential information to the argument at hand.

Person A makes point X
    Person B responds with Y and Z
    Person C makes point Q
    Person B responds with point P
    Person D responds with "This." quoting Y & Z.

5. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Wow, that makes no sense. +1, I get that. This, I don't get.

Thanks for the explanation.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It means they’re too lazy to write anything and think they’re being cute not just writing +1.

Like for the poster below your OP, I could’ve typed “This.” Or I could’ve typed “+1”. However, I decided to write a whole bunch of BS to make it look better, like THAT: :D
    VVVV

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It means I agree etc. An example:

This.

Usually people put it like This ^ so people get that it's the post above or quote him/her

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It also falls under MacRumors "Things Not To Do" #1. Of course you're free to do it while posting other things, but just quoting somebody and responding "this" will get the post removed if it's reported/noticed.

9. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I find it can be useful when someone provides an answer that would be strengthened by some verification or confirmation.

For example:

If I asked: "Is it OK to leave my Macbook Pro on all night without shutting it down." Will it ruin my Mac?

Then Person A responds: "It is perfectly fine. Your Mac was made to be left on all the time. I never shut mine down."

Then Person B responds: "This" to the above post.

At least I know that it is likely that Person A isn't crazy and knows what they are talking about. I'd rather the "this" post, then being left feeling insecure about only one person's response.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sorry, but unless Person B provides more of a complete sentence, the post will likely be removed by the moderators.

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

The few times I have seen this useful is if someone posts a list of possible problems or solutions and someone else clarifies which will lead them in the right direction.

Probably a poor example, but just something simple:

Original Post: "My Macbook won't read DVDs"
    Responder 1: "Have you tried restarting? Perhaps your dvd is corrupt. Maybe try a different DVD. Does it play CDs? Turn the DVD over to the non-label side..."
    Responder 2: The "This." response with a partial quote.

This.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The moderators use common sense but don't usually read a bunch of preceding posts to establish the context; that would be too time-consuming. If a reply is obviously useful, even when it's a single word, they leave it alone, but it's smarter for posters to stay within the rules and not risk that the post will be reported by another user and zapped by the moderators.

13. RebelScum macrumors 6502

Apparently it's also a reason for people to rant about how they don't understand what people are talking about and complain when they don't get it.

Example: These damn kids today with their video games and their hip-hop misic and their WiFis and their hip "This" lingo.