What does this say about Android Tablets? HTC's boss chooses iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bernard SG, May 24, 2011.

1. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Via China Post, 9to5 Mac

Cher Wang and husband purchased iPad 2's, MacBook Air's, Apple TV's and an Airport express at Palo Alto's Apple Store.

The story doesn't tell whether HTC Flyer project manager is now considering suicide by ingestion of a lethal dose of Android KoolAid.

2. dgree03, May 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011

dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

Well HTC doesnt build laptops, ATV's or routers. Who knows, maybe they are doing some field research??

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The best way to defeat your enemy is to understand your enemy.

4. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134b Safari/6533.18.5)

No surprise. Android tablets are currently barely usable. If you want a tablet with a fully fleshed-out UI and an ecosystem to match, it's going to be the iPad.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

HTC's 10" android tablet wasn't available when they went shopping.

6. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

No surprise. Competitors buy each others products all the time for research and comparison. The company president where I work is an Android nut but he's supported me developing on the iPad with an iMac, iPad and iPad 2. He also will use them when he wants to compare. He has a Xoom as well and I've gotten to play around with that, too.

7. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

If anyone noticed, almost every Google employee uses a Mac.

Just because companies are competiting doesn't mean they have to exclude each other's product. At least Cher Wang didn't buy an iPhone.:p

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's a bit different. "Field research" is never done by executives, they pay people do things like that. Even if they did, they wouldn't go to the store to buy it themselves.

9. tekker macrumors regular

Why not?

10. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Learn from the best ... And like many of us: learning by touching and playing.
    And that require buying first these days.
    The only thing: they need to be carefully when copy the stuff they learn and not getting sued by :apple:

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Bill Gates surfed the web for a weekend, before Microsoft started working on IE. If someone wants to understand how to defeat the enemy, understanding how their competition does so well requires careful study.

12. Born Again macrumors regular

Look we compete with china and we buy their goods as do they

Lol u guys crack me up

13. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

If this was about understanding the enemy, I would think they would have had iPad 2s, MacBook Airs, and ATVs on launch day, at least long before now. Plus her and her husband bought the items. What does her husband care about competing with Apple. He doesn't work for HTC.

THESE WERE EITHER FOR THEMSELVES OR GIFTS FOR FRIENDS. IM GUESSING IT WAS FOR THEM

14. bocomo macrumors 6502

those are good points

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Of all people, he doesn't need the iPad to have something useful.

HTC makes the Flyer 7" tablet. IMO its Sense 3.0 homescreen UI blows away anything else for usefulness and sheer fun, Honeycomb included.

Heck, you could charge admission just to show off the new full screen Sense weather animations. They're beautiful. Apple must be wishing they'd done it first.

The huge widgets are useful, fun and clever with their orientation changes. Even the 3D homescreen carousel in landscape mode is a study in details.

Add in the optional active pen for drawing on screenshots along with voice notes and saving to Evernote, and it's an very useful device. Almost a mini-Courier for artistic types. For media consumers, HTC is starting their own store.

It's easily the most innovative device right now in a world full of more boring ones. I can't wait to see what HTC will do in a larger tablet.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's Weather HD... :confused:

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yep, they're the same kind of idea. However, such animations are built into an HTC device and its widgets, not just available as third party apps.

Apple's built-in apps are mostly static.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Okay. It's a nice extra. But HTC isn't the first to have that idea, and you know, I don't think the fact that Apple doesn't have it built-in and HTC does would influence my decision to buy one or the other. I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing why this is a big deal.

19. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Awesome, you paid $500 for a single core tablet, running last years Android phone OS (2.3) on a device with less than half the real estate of the iPad or Samsung clone.

As for the pen... You can't actually operate the tablet with the pen. When you tap the pen on the screen, it inexplicably snaps a screen shot of whatever you're viewing and allows you to mark it up with virtual ink. Any navigation, page scrolling, or app launching still requires your fingers, which leading to a back-and-forth dance between fingers and pen. Oh yeah, and lose the pen and that will be $80 to replace! Doh.

20. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

This is a Mac forum. Why we talking crap about android tablets here? iPad is better than android tablets in some ways and android tablets are better than the iPad in other ways. Nothing is perfect.

21. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Weather animations? Whoo-hoo! See them once, and that's it. Novelty at it's finest.

22. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Because that train of thought makes way too much sense!!

23. kevinof macrumors 6502a

and the most useless comment of the month goes to... you.

Barely usable? Tell that to my wife or kids who use an Asus Transformer every day for all kids of things. Works perfectly and I hear zero compaints from any of them ... And yes we had an ipad 1 and sold it to get the transformer.

24. tekker macrumors regular

LOL look up your facts next time, buddy:

Might be a single-core processor, but its 1.5ghz, which is hypothetically faster than a 1ghz dual-core. Secondly, 2.3 isn't last years OS. It's this years OS for mobile phones, and will get an upgrade ~a month with 3.1 Honeycomb. They did this so it wouldn't provide a lackluster experience for the user.

Thirdly, the pen does not always create a screenshot of the screen when writing, but only when needed. IE: In Notes/Evernote or Books it actually interacts with the app. When in browser or anything else, it'll take a screenshot when writing. HOWEVER you DONT have to use your finger to navigate, as the back of the pen is capacitive, which interacts with the screen.

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

As always, thanks for your pro-apple, anti-everything else take on the matter

Remember to consider the source lol

Android tablets are very useable