What don't you eat and why?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mscriv, Feb 21, 2012.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I just had to pick all the water chestnuts out of my lunch. Yuck! I hate those things. I think it's the texture, the way they sorta crunch, but are watery at the same time, ugh. And, they don't seem to have any sort of real taste, so in my mind they don't add anything to any dish they are put in. I do my best not to eat them and on the occasion that I catch one by accident, it's ugly. :mad:

Okay, your turn, what food don't you like and why? No nutrition reasons please, we're talking about taste buds, texture, tragic stories, etc.. If you don't eat pizza for health reasons good for you, but that's not the point of the discussion.

2. romanhdz macrumors member

Uncooked tomatos or onions. I just CAN'T stand the taste, it's completely overpowering for my tastebuds... However, cooked tomatoes and onions are no problem for me.

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

BigMac's. And anything from McDonald's.

I ate one some time ago and threw up like I never did. :(

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Mushrooms. I always try them when I go to a teppan restaurant because they look amazing but in the end, they always taste like total crap.

Cooked spinach. I love it raw and even slightly cooked (like on a pizza), but I cannot seem to handle it fully cooked. Oddly, I love greens so I'm weird.

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Tomatoes, cooked onions, mushrooms. (Like cream of tomato soup and pizza sauce though)

The worst food ever is corriander (think you call it cilantro). I can actually die a little thinking about the taste. It makes me angry to think of people using it in food. Idiocy.

Other stuff I have cut down on massively (almost to a zero) but would still eat if I was starving:

BK
    McDs
    KFC
    Dominos (found pubes in pizza recently, seriously)

There's lots of stuff I don't like in general - brussel sprouts, aubergine.. that sort of madness

Hardly eat red meat or chicken anymore, tryin to go vege

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yams/sweet potatoes/whatever you call them.

Why? Because they're repulsive, that's why.

Funny, I'm the opposite. I think mushrooms look just plain ****ing creepy. But they're delicious!

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm with romanhdz on the tomatoes. I've no problem with the taste or anything, I just don't trust them – a fruit that lets everyone think it's a vegetable? It's not right.

Additionally, texture-wise they're horrid – all wet and stuff.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Satan's Testicles, aka Brussels sprouts. The very smell of them cooking in the house literally triggers my gag reflex.

Black-eyed peas. Another one where the smell triggers convulsions, and the taste is even worse.

Dr. Pepper. Living in Texas and hating on Dr. Pepper can make you a marked man, but I can't stand the taste of it. Curiously enough, I've had Dr. Pepper barbecue sauce which is very tasty.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Anything that can crawl of my plate..... I have some friends who are pretty adventurous when it comes to the food they eat.

Don't like sushi, raw fish, the texture etc...

11. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Veggie-Lima Beans

Fruit-Raisins

Meat-Liver

If someone served me that meal, I'd punch them. :mad:

The texture and taste of the Lima beans and raisins make we want to vomit. And liver? That's just straight up yuk.

12. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

As others have stated, brussel sprouts. Also, the guck often used to fill up terines.

13. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

Cooked carrots. Nasty!! I love raw carrots, but 99.9% of the time I try a cooked carrot it is horrible.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh my word, I almost had coffee squirt out of my know I laughed so hard on that.

For me I avoid meat, specially beef like the plague and it seems now dairy products as well. Mostly because there's something in dead cows/pork/etc that makes me sick for days. I used to love a good hamburger and a large milk shake. Now I barely have any meat.

I'd not say I'm turning into a vegetarian for any sort of cause, but because I don't enjoy being sick :(

15. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

crab is one the idea of eating something that walks sideways eats trash and you have to crack to eat is just too much.

16. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Processed commercial foods like anything from any burger chain. I saw Super Size Me and it scared the crap (pun intended) out of me...:eek:

The last time I had something from Jack in the Box, my blood sugar ran out of control and knocked me out of commission for the rest of the day.

Dale the Diabetic

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ice-cream. Gives me a migraine. Milk chocolate - an abomination (whereas the dark is luscious, in small quantities). Champagne (over-rated, simpering, "playful" idiotic drink - give me a proper Ripasso or Amarone instead, or a serious XO cognac, or even, an Innis & Gunn beer...)

Strangely enough, much of what has been mentioned thus far as pet hates (tomatoes, mushrooms, water chestnuts, cooked carrots, aubergines - and it all depends on how they are cooked, I roast tomatoes before doing anything else with them), I don't mind or quite like. But Brussels sprouts, yeah, well, even stir fried, granted, not my favourite.

However, in general, I don't have a sweet tooth, and cannot stand excessively sweet things.

18. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Lots of things... why? because they taste like crap.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Meat. Because I don't like it. Tastes nasty.

Oh, I can't stand potatoes either.

20. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

The thought of caviar and anchovies makes me want to puke. That said, I love just about anything a typical westerner would eat..

21. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Large list...

Popcorn- the kernels always end up stuck between my gums and tooth, so I spend days trying to get it out with my tongue.
    White cheddar popcorn- I once ate a whole bag within a few minutes, and now I can't stand the smell of it.
    Kiwi- I don't like the idea of eating something that had a hairy peel (or skin, whatever).
    Eggs- the idea that a baby chicken could have been what I'm eating makes me not able to eat it.
    Chocolate- It's just too sweet.

There are more, but I'm pretty sure I'd max out the amount of allowed characters.

22. chordate68, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

chordate68 macrumors regular

chordate68

Olives- They are just too salty and have a pungent taste I just can't stand

Mollusks (clams, oysters, mussles)- they taste like/ look like mucus. Although, i will eat scallops.

Forgot to add balut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_%28egg%29

Stuff makes my stomach churn.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Gosh. It's mad, isn't it, how strong positive and negative preferences are where food is concerned. While I quite like crab, I love anchovies and olives.....

....and can't stand most cakes......

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Other than fish (not shellfish) and Satan's Balls, can't think of anything I don't eat.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I need a new eater of my mushrooms so we can be pals. And by mushrooms, I really mean mushrooms.