Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
BigMac's. And anything from McDonald's.

I ate one some time ago and threw up like I never did. :(

This. I got food poisoning from a Quarter Pounder in 2000 that kept me in bed for three days and almost killed me. Have not eaten anything at McDonald's in the 12 years since. Ironically, I'll eat at other fast food restaurants, and can't stay away from street food in Mexico. :p

I'll often pull raw tomatoes off sandwiches/burgers, but sometimes not.

I used to love maple syrup but the sugar blast sends me into a mini-coma, which doesn't seem very healthy - so I avoid it these days.

Coriander is one of these spices which you either like or hate. There's no in-between.

Indeed. I'm obsessed with it and I think I would probably enjoy cilantro-flavored chewing gum. ;)

Kindof like sushi is just an excuse for me to eat wasabi, sometimes I think some of the foods I eat are just excuses to garnish with cilantro. I'm less fond of ground coriander seed - to me there is almost no relation to the fresh plant, flavor-wise.

Last edited:

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I remember eating it once when I was young. It didn't taste particularly good or bad, at least that's what I recall. I should try it again... how does one cook it?

Well, it is an acquired taste. It is normally cooked, well, in a frying pan on low heat. The result is usually somewhat crumbly, and very rich. So rich that some people may not find it palatable. Comme ci, comme ca.

There's nothing good about a donut to justify shoving it into your body.

I discovered this with the craze for Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I bought 1/2 a dozen, to benefit a girl's soft-ball team, and they were gone in a day.

Holy sweetness.

Disgusting.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
No meat (which for me means any animal, which for me includes fish and chicken—I never understand the idea that fish and chicken aren't meat)

Almost no gluten (a little sneaks in now and then)

Very little grains (some oats and rice on occasion)

Nothing with raw egg, or even if it's safe, stuff like mayonnaise and ice cream with egg in it (like Ben and Jerry's) grosses me out

No cheeses with animal rennet--also no gross cheeses in general--I prefer the sharpest cheddar you can get and not much else

No alcohol

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Fish or any other types of seafood. It just never appealed to me, I'm at the point now where I just say I have a slight allergy to it (well it would make me vomit so it's not a total lie).

Not a fan of fat in food either. You know - the proper thick fat you get on steak and the like. I always cut the rind off bacon before cooking too. The thought of chewing through it just turns my stomach.

Last edited:

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I don't eat or seldom eat the following:

Wheat
Soy
High fructose corn syrup
Factory farmed meat

Why?

1. Wheat turns into sugar when your body processes it.
2. Soy is so processed, that any benefit is lost by the time we eat it.
3. It's terrible for you. There is no argument. I also avoid processed sugar in any form.
4. There is no reason to eat this crap and feed the factory farms, which inject hormones and chemicals into animals, treat them poorly and in turn feed us garbage. Buy local free range, natural meats. It's not difficult, and you're making the world a better place by doing so.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Bleh I have my hangups. I won't eat veal. I won't eat at seafood restaurants that keep lobsters in tanks. Organ meat grosses me out, and it's not very healthy anyway so I don't think it matters. I won't do things like hot dogs or sausages. Immensely high in fat and sodium + I find them disgusting. I avoid too much dairy. It simply doesn't make me feel well. It might be lactose intolerance, but I'm not sure.

I don't eat or seldom eat the following:

Wheat
Soy
High fructose corn syrup
Factory farmed meat

Why?

1. Wheat turns into sugar when your body processes it.
2. Soy is so processed, that any benefit is lost by the time we eat it.
3. It's terrible for you. There is no argument. I also avoid processed sugar in any form.
4. There is no reason to eat this crap and feed the factory farms, which inject hormones and chemicals into animals, treat them poorly and in turn feed us garbage. Buy local free range, natural meats. It's not difficult, and you're making the world a better place by doing so.

Just wondering, do you typically use farmer's markets on meat and stuff (I hate factory farm stuff too).

Other question on wheat. Do you look for bread made from a different grain? I usually purchased bread that's ultra low in sodium and made with whole grain of whatever kind for fiber content which in the case of soluble fiber would slow the rate of uptake of stated sugar (and it's labeled as 0g sugar so I guess they don't add any, I just checked).

Just wondering..

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
Satan's Testicles, aka Brussels sprouts.

Funny, I can't stand the devil's hemorrhoid, aka cucumber.

I'm pretty sure that will not like nasal filtered coffee the other guy mentioned. Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure the Kopi Luwak coffee is off my list for obvious reasons.

Can't do the wheat at all anymore but when I did I couldn't stand dry scratchy pancakes. I think they were bisquick based.

Wet mushrooms

I have a strong aversion biting into apples. A few years ago I bit into a beautiful apple only to find a dead spider taking about 1/3 the apple and about all of my mouth. Be careful buying imported fruit.

Lasagna and other casserole type foods. I still have teeth and can chew.

Fast food. Contacted McDonalds once about ingreedients and the legal department responded. Was not impressed.

Sage

Gin

Mussels

Food that still has legs attached except seafood and birds.

Spam. Turns my stomach. No amount of prep helps.

Pork

Overdone dry meat

That weird kale chip I picked up at the nature store

Love cookies but do not like the middle of Oreos

Can't say about other foods not common to America. Liver and Brussels sprouts are both good when properly prepared. Usually that means with another strong flavored food like bacon or onions or both. For the sprouts half or quarter them and use the baby ones. Overcooking turns them bitter.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
There's that comes to mind that I won't eat. Obviously I like some things more than others, but I try to challenge myself and develop tastes. I like to try interesting and different looking things on the menu, new restaurants and cuisines.

I will say I don't appreciate liver. I've had liver in a whole variety of ways and never really taken to it. I'll eat it, but I'd prefer other meats. Interestingly, when I was little I absolutely loved liverwurst. I had a liverwurst sandwich rather recently and I'm still not sure what was so special about it.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Bleh I have my hangups. I won't eat veal. I won't eat at seafood restaurants that keep lobsters in tanks. Organ meat grosses me out, and it's not very healthy anyway so I don't think it matters. I won't do things like hot dogs or sausages. Immensely high in fat and sodium + I find them disgusting. I avoid too much dairy. It simply doesn't make me feel well. It might be lactose intolerance, but I'm not sure.

Just wondering, do you typically use farmer's markets on meat and stuff (I hate factory farm stuff too).

Other question on wheat. Do you look for bread made from a different grain? I usually purchased bread that's ultra low in sodium and made with whole grain of whatever kind for fiber content which in the case of soluble fiber would slow the rate of uptake of stated sugar (and it's labeled as 0g sugar so I guess they don't add any, I just checked).

Just wondering..

I go to Trader Joe's or local meat markets for natural, free range meats.

I try not to eat bread. I don't like it anyway. There are many more and better sources of fiber, like leafy vegetables, nuts and brown rice pasta.

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Depends where you are.... in some places both of those may be called Yams or Sweet Potatoes ... weird and confusing....

Some people do use both terms synonymously but those people are incorrect--yams and sweet potatoes are two different things.

I've always found it odd that people confuse them, since they're native to different areas, look no more alike than a potato and sweet potato, i.e. similar but distinct, and have quite different flavours. But at least it's better than calling "pop" "soda" :D

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Chocolate milk or pure, I cannot stand the taste.

When I was young I used to get a toy, instead of an Easter egg.:D

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Due to Arthritis, many things are off the menu...

Oily fish

Offal

Red Meat

spinach

Broccoli

White Flour products

Etc.

It's tough finding stuff I like...Plain boiled Chicken is boring..but works. Pizza, Fried stuff, nope...Not saying I don't cheat now and then, but boy do I pay for it in the end.

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
I try to stay off white bread, only eat it about once or twice a week at most. That stuff makes you crash about an hour after!

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
In general I try to eat a bit of everything. There are things I don't like but very few that I absolutely don't eat.

I don't eat things like oysters, mussels, snails... Slimy things just weird me out.

I don't eat organs (like liver or intestines, very common in my hometown) or things cooked with or made from blood. Just the idea of it makes me feel sick.

Totally agree. I avoid quite a few things but you named the only things I'll outright refuse.

I get kind of freaked out by meat that has been left whole (or mostly whole) so it has to be separated before eating it. It's why I have no appreciation for lobster or any shellfish that has been left in its shell. Whole chickens, turkeys and especially fish (OMG, it's looking at me!) freak me out if I have to tear into it to eat it. When I'm eating I want no obvious visual clues of what this animal looked like when it was alive. I don't really know why because I know WHAT I'm eating, I just don't like thinking too much about it or it puts me off.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Carrots only need to be barely boiled - not made into a mash. Add a teeny bit of maple syrup or honey to slices of cooked carrots ... yum.

Same with many veggies that are boiled.... people boil the life out of them, and they taste dead and mushy.

OMG, this is so true. My mother used to boil broccoli until it was an unrecognizable mound of yellow-ish goo. I grew up thinking I hated broccoli. After having it gently stir-fried or steamed, I realized it was just how she was cooking it that turned me off about it. Since then, I've become a fan of steamed vegetables (or even raw) that I would never have eaten willingly as a child.

Brussels Sprouts. Fry up some bacon (cut small). Add brussel sprouts and onions. Cook in a fry pan until the sprouts get that roasted outside and are soft. I pop a lid over the whole thing, with dash of water, for a bit too... this steams them and keeps them from drying out.

What a treasonous waste of bacon. :eek:

Spam. Turns my stomach. No amount of prep helps.

So many people claim to hate Spam, but I read somewhere online that a can is sold every three seconds - so somebody out there besides myself likes it. I'm not a big fan of eating it cold, but slice it about 1/4" thick, pan-fry it, serve it up alongside some over medium eggs and a bottle of Tabasco sauce, whole wheat toast and butter...mmm-mm!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.