Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kikobarbada

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Hello.

I have an interesting setup and I need some help with Time Machine. I currently have an internal 160HD and two 250GB external drives. I am looking for a drive that can backup these three drives. I am thinking of 2 500gb drives but I am not sure if I can make Leopard see the 2 drives as 1, or else (I THINK) I will have to select one 500gb drive to backup my two 250GB (which will fill up fast) and a 500GB drive for my 160GB internal. I can always buy a 1TB, but it is more expensive than 2 500gb drives (ridiculous). I need a full briefing because I know nothing about multiple-drive Time Machine backups. Any information is useful.

Thanks.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Which Mac do you have? If a Mac Pro, you can setup multiple internal drives as a single, concatenated disk.

How about a 750GB external drive?

The other day Fry's had the FreeAgent Pro (FW400/USB2/eSATA) for $198.

As far as I can tell, there isn't any way Time Machine can span multiple volumes.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Sure it can. Simply RAID the two externals together, and Time Machine should see it was a single 1TB disk.

jW

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Sure it can. Simply RAID the two externals together, and Time Machine should see it was a single 1TB disk.

jW

I had thought it would work with external FW/USB, but I haven't tried it myself. The KB doc I read earlier mentioned only internal interfaces, but it looks out of date. Good to know it does work with FW/USB.

Personally, I think a single 1TB would be the better solution, even if a bit more expensive.

kikobarbada

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I suppose I am walking towards the 1TB drive. There is no reason to spend more money on Firewire if the drive will be connected to my computer 24/7 and the incremental backups take 15 minutes I think every 1 hour (it would only be a problem if it took like more than 1 hour). Isn't that right? What is the cheapest drive (no online store, only known local stores such as Bestbuy)??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.