What email client do you use on your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by budmonster, Jan 17, 2014.

1. budmonster macrumors regular

I just picked up my iPhone not too long ago, I'm a new iOS user. I like the native mail app that comes with iOS but was wondering if there any email apps from the iTunes store that blows it away or improves it? I've heard of a couple like Mailbox and Sparrow (haven't tried them yet). I have 2 Gmail accounts, 1 iCloud account, my Verizon account, a Yahoo account and so. Curious to hear what everyone is using and why? Does any email app currently allow you add multiple accounts from the same provider. So I could add both of my Gmail accounts and switch between them without having to sign out from one or the other?

I had one more question, didn't want to make a separate thread for it. My son uses our iPad a lot and sometimes my iPhone. On my iPhone he can't order any apps/games by mistake b/c of the fingerprint scanner. On the iPad he would have to enter my password in. But say I enter my pass in and buy him a game, does the app store go right back to being locked or could he still order games without having to enter the password in? Somehow he has ordered a few games on the iPad even with the password installed.

Thanks guys.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

What functionality do you need with your mobile email, exactly?
    Personally, I just use the stock mail app. As long as I can look at my emails and reply to them then I'm good. the Stock app works just fine for that. (though, it does even more than that too)

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I used the stock app as well. Worked just fine for me.

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Second Question : You can turn off the Apps store wifi connection or even the wifi connection when your son plays on your phone. The iPhone also has a feature where you can disable functions which requires another password to access.

Check around CNET. they have a lot of how to's ..here is one you might find helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_pzIubymgo

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Currently I'm using the stock email app. That's because I'm jailbroken and have a few tweaks that improve it (mail rules anyone). The stock app can handle multiple accounts from the same service.

But the one advantage that the stock app has over most (if not all) the email apps in the store is that it can push notifications.

Apps I've used:

Sparrow, great app, but no push notifications (you can jailbreak and install a tweak to force it to push).

Lightmail, also great, has contact pics and DOES push email.

Evomail, pseudo push. It has a cache and somehow uses the cache to notify your phone that you got mail. Evomail also uses contact photos.

Hop, conversations disguised as email. Gmail and one or two other services right now.

Mailbox, forget if it does push, but I don't really care for this app. Gmail only and I'm not in to this whole inbox "zero" thing.

Gmail/Yahoo mail apps. No push email, but they handle your accounts ok. Don't really care for the gmail app though. Seems too clunky.

I prefer Lightmail's push notifcations, but Sparrow's interface. If there was some way I could merge those two, I'd probably abandon the stock app.

6. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I get push notifications in the Gmail app just fine on all of my iOS devices.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The stock app. Works just fine for me. I even have my gmail in the stock app. I don't want lots of different mail apps. I only need one.

8. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

9. cynics macrumors G4

The native email app works for me. I'm never in a big rush for email so fetch is more then adequate for me with my gmail acct.

10. newsman787 macrumors newbie

My wife uses the Gmail app on her phone, gets push and finds it handles her accounts pretty well. She has the iCloud email set up on the standard mail program but rarely uses that.

11. I7guy macrumors G5

I believe there is a settable password timeout for purchases.

12. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I just used to use my 3rd party email app that was the same as my email provider but now i just use the mail app because they updated my old one and now it sucks.

13. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Because my primary account is gmail I just use the gmail app. Although I dont really have any issues with the stock one.

14. Matthew9559, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014

Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

The official Gmail app is the only one I have used for an extended period of time. Its nice but the official Mail app really does all that I need.

I used Mailbox but really didn't like that one very much.

15. curiosity macrumors regular

I use Gmail app, but it is a lot worse than the stock Mail app. I have to use the ugly Gmail app because I need push mail. The worst part is its long loading times.

16. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Stock. Works for me and you can't set another app to be the default email app.

+1 What would "blow it away" for the OP?

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You should enable Restrictions and set Require Password to Immediately (otherwise your password is valid for 15 minutes). After you purchase an app tap the home button to go back to the home screen. You can also log out of the App Store but that isn't as convenient.

I also disable in-app purchases. :cool:

20. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Stock email at the moment. It just works so well. I've migrated over to icloud as my default mail provider as it used to be gmail being a previous android robot. Gmail obviously no longer pushes to iphone so chose to stick with icloud.

When I was on android I was forever switching to 3rd party apps as stock was pants!

21. curiosity macrumors regular

Now I'm using the stock app, too. I found instructions on the internet about how to forward your Gmail mails to an iCloud account. Now I have both "Gmail" push and the good stock app. The delay in comparison to the Gmail app is just 1-2 seconds.