What emotions do you feel for your Mac?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I love Macs in general, and I think of my own Macs as personal friends. Even when they misbehave occasionally, I never feel more than mild annoyance at them. That's how I am with flesh-and-blood friends too. I enjoy their company and they make me smile.

Perhaps it's silly to have an emotional attachment to a silicon-based non-lifeform, but it's human nature to form attachments to people and things we "converse with" and depend on.

Do you have strong emotions (good or bad) for your Mac?

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
I often take my Powerbook to bed. Gets really hot! ;)

Edit: But, seriously, I work or play with them all the time, but I don't have any emotions for my computers at all, be they Mac or PC. I mostly just see them as tools.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
My 3G ipod i took everywhere with me, and it starting my mac life as it lead me on to a powerbook.

But it's gone now, replaced by a photo, and i miss it.

I think the powerbook will 'earn' an emotion, in good time.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
My PowerBook is evil and wants to kill me :eek: ... It disguises itself using OSX and hypnotizes me to love it...

Help! :p

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Doctor Q said:
Perhaps it's silly to have an emotional attachment to a silicon-based non-lifeform, but it's human nature to form attachments to people and things we "converse with" and depend on.

Do you have strong emotions (good or bad) for your Mac?
That's pretty much how I feel... I've talked about this w/ my bf actually. I am slightly embarassed at the fact that I do have emotional attachments to my PB, iB, and iMac. I mean, they're inanimate objects-- and it's not like they've 'been there' for me like a baby and it's security blankie or whatnot.

I do spend a good deal of time w/ my machines. That could explain it. And they're pretty! Who can resist something so lovely. :eek:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
My Macs know more of my secrets than any of my friends (and most of my family). I don't know that I'm emotionally attached to the machine as much as I am to the data.

In fact, I'm hoping to put my well-worn vintage 2002 G4 Powerbook out to pasture this fall after the *ahem* latest round of PB updates.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Ummmm none, its a computer. :p I bought my mac so I wouldnt have to care about it. I use it and it works. :D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
eva01 said:
And i think i am out of my design funk YAYAYAYAYAY
Prove it.

;) :D

Glad to hear it, I know it's been a source of frustration for you.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I have the same emotions for my Mac as I have towards a friend:

Reliant on its goodwill and support, with some affection but also occasional annoyance and frustration. I'm also generous with money towards it... :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I certainly get jealous when I find my Mac with another user! :eek:

On the other hand, it's my fault for defining login accounts for other family members and a Guest account too.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
None, really. Anger, occasionally, but it's still not really directed at the computer. I don't anthropomorphize the computer itself -- I tend to blame the idiots who programmed the software or designed the hardware.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Dependency or need might be the most important emotions I have for my iBook.

Nostalgia when thinking about my former Macs.

Not sure I can say I love my iBook but I really, really like it... ;)

Throw in a bit of worry (about running out of disk space or, even worse, that it should break down or get stolen or whatever) and the occasional anger (when it misbehaves every now and then) and I've covered almost all emotions...

Just left out the joy of using a Mac, and not having to struggle with Windows.

:)

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
The feeling is one of caring and pride for something that gives us much enjoyment, offers ease of use and makes others take notice in a favorable way. That then leads to a protectiveness about not wanting to have any marks on it or damage from falls and spills.

They are like family members but thankfully don't argue as people occasionally will ... plus, no barking or need to be walked at odd hours like the pets that so many adore.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I thought i lose my 3G iPod and i was getting so upset T____T my baby was dying.

except apparently it wouldn't charge via USB so i had to use my almost fully broken firewire cable

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
and today is not a good day for my Macs

My new powerbook likes to drop my internet randomly for 10 seconds then come back.

My powermac decided to give me the mighty mouse bug today and rendered all mouse clicks as nothing and had to hard restart

and iPod just froze powermac as well.