What ever happened to that FM Radio?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kwjohns, Jun 7, 2010.

1. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

2. MT0227 macrumors 6502

With SAT radio and options like Pandora, not sure there are many FM radio listeners left ;)

3. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

I would have liked it. Hopefully it is one of the features they didn't highlight. I wish more radio stations podcasted thier shows.

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

5. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I didn't know people still listened to FM radio.

6. vega07 macrumors 65816

I hope it's one of the features as well. If it's on the iPod, there should be no trouble bringing it to the iPhone. And isn't there something about there is already an FM tuner that just needs to be activated?

But if it were a feature, I'm pretty sure it would have gotten highlighted in the keynote.

7. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I was hoping for it. One thing I miss from my original Zune, was the ability to finish listening to my local NPR station when I got of the car to go into a store. Hopefully it will show up.

8. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Note the title...

Rumor: Apple To Switch On Sleeping FM Radio in iPhone, iPod Touch

9. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

My local sports FM station has an app, and I use it to listen to Jim Rome while at college, but sometimes, I get 'black holes' as I like to call them on campus where the signal just dies, goes out, wont connect, or no signal at all. happens indoors and out, and it sucks. Goes out at the worst possible times. So I would like a FM receiver/radio in my iPhone, but oh well. The app will do. (I've used that Mark the Spot app a billions times too for where my signal goes out. Get to work ATT!)

10. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

WunderRadio is great.
    The FM radio is on the HTC EVO.

11. kwjohns thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

12. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

In the UK an FM radio probably isn't a great idea seeing as they're turning off the majority of national FM broadcasts in 2015. DAB radio would be nice! UK 3G is too unreliable for a decent radio stream.

13. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

14. toiday macrumors regular

That's what I thought until I recently join a fitness club. All of their TV sound are broadcasted in FM. All the Android people can listen to it with their phone. iPhone people have to watch TV without sound.

15. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Way to revive an old topic.

Anyway, why couldn't you use one of the many radio apps?

16. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

DAB would be a non-starter in the USA, where the FCC has singled out iBiquity's "HD Radio" as the designated digital successor to broadcast analog FM (and AM).

But there is currently no established timeframe in the USA to require mandatory shutdown of the analog signals, so any stations that have currently started broadcasting using "HD Radio" are, for the most part, simulcasting in both analog and digital formats on the same frequency.

At the moment, analog FM receivers are smaller, less expensive, and less energy hungry to incorporate in portable electronic devices.

----------

I don't want to waste any of my precious tiered cellular data allotment listening to streaming audio over the Internet, when there's perfectly good audio "streaming" over the air from my local radio stations, just begging to be listened to for free.

17. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If you buy a phone today you are unlikely to be thinking about what is going to happen in 2015. Fm radio is very useful if you jog in the morning and streaming is just using valuable expensive data capacity.

18. YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

TuneIn Radio is a very useful radio app as well. I do understand the worry about any un-needed streaming for those who are on a tiered data plan though.

19. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Sure I listen to sports radio.

20. PapaStu macrumors member

PapaStu

Isn't that normally AM?

I think the need for the FM radio in a phone has gone away because of the ability to livestream so many stations. iPod touches/ iPod Classics could have a use for one, but at this point in the portable game I doubt they'll ever get it.

If Apple didn't push to have the radio receivers in them after the Zune launched, I don't think they'll make an appearance this late in the game.

21. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

My favorite college team, and our biggest nemesis, have both moved to FM stations. And while it is great that there are apps that live stream stations, many of those stations do not allow game broadcasts over those streams. So with an FM tuner, you could pick up the game over the air.

22. jalyst macrumors regular

FM RX + RDS + recording = very handy.
    It's not coming officially for the Nokia N9.
    But it's looking like it'll be hacked-in a few months after release (which is approx. 2/3wks)
    It's a nice option until DAB+ & HDRadio become standard fare in smartphone SoC's.

23. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

My grandfather used to speak of this "radio" that you speak of. He said back in his day (1900's) they had these huge boxes with dials on them and they would listen to their local baseball teams play or sometimes music.
    I don't understand it. When I want baseball I just push a button and watch or listen to any team I want no matter if they're local or not. As for music, I'm not to sure the stuff they're putting out these days could be classified as music.

:D

I use iRadioNow, Pandora, iHeartRadio, etc.

24. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The classic iPod line had an official, Apple-manufactured dock connector accessory providing it with an FM tuner starting with the 5th generation. I cannot find it at the Apple online store anymore. But 3rd parties also offer similar solutions.

iPod nano has had an FM tuner built in for the last two generations, and all previous generations were compatible with the aforementioned official dock connector accessory.
    As I've said, with a limited, tiered data allowance, I'm not prepared to waste any of it listening to streaming music on the go. While I'm around WiFi, sure, that's great. But not otherwise.

25. kwjohns thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Certainly odd to see over a year old thread that you created on the first page...