what exactly am I trying to get from this or

Discussion in 'macOS' started by groovdudeyo, Jun 29, 2009.

1. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

what should I say to attempt to fix my problem? I am writing an email to steve jobs about the whole upgrade leopard and iLife doesnt work problem youll get the main idea in my email and yes this is all I have. I wasnt entirely sure where to put this thread so if some administrator knows where it would be better then please move it.

Dear Steve Jobs,

My name is ********* *****, I am a huge fan of all products made by your company and use them for nearly everything possible. I own a highly upgraded and still running strong Power Mac G4 and I recently upgraded the OS from Tiger to Leopard. I was extremely pleased with how smoothly it ran even on such an old Mac and all of the functions added. My being pleased came to an abrupt end however as soon as I attemted to open iPhoto. A message popped up and briefly told me that I would not be able to use any of the programs in iLife unless I upgraded iLife. Upon researching my dilemma further I discovered that even if I bought the new version of iLife I would not be able to use most of the programs at all even if I upgraded my computer further. Because of financial reasons I am not able to purchase a new mac and because of logical reason I do not want to purchase the new version of iLife. I am growing increasingly frustated at not having access to these files and

all I got so far any ideas or suggestions?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

There should be no reason why you couldn't keep using this. Apple does not disable older versions to make you buy new ones. The exception may be if you are trying to use some mobileme features.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, for one, realize Steve will likely never see the email. That's not to say no one will read it at Apple.

You'll need to make sure your expectations in a reply are clear. If you just rant and say something doesn't work it'll just sit in some help desk person's queue and you'll likely end up with a canned response. Make sure to include your machine's specs as well as version numbers of all software in question (OS, iLife, etc.). Be very specific about any error message you mention including any error numbers.

Don't expect too much. The newest iLife likely has certain dependencies that may require newer hardware that Apple uses. Apple likes to have some backwards compatibilities, but they also want to move forward. Windows got bogged down and bloated because they kept trying to make everything backwards compatible.

6. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

Only the newest version of iLife will run on leopard and originally the message said like dear steve jobs and others who may receive this message and im working on the specs right now

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

That's not true. I am happily running iLife 08 on one of my macs with Leopard.

8. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

ohhhhh ok yeah i totally forgot that there was an 09 sorry yeah only 08 or the one that came out around the same time as leopard will run on it

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

iLife 06 came out in January 2006
    iLife 08 came out in August 2007
    iLife 09 came out in January 2009

Leopard came out on 26 October 2007

All 3 are runnable on Leopard.

10. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

thanks for that comment that really helped a lot if you were smart you could of told me what I just found out which is I have 05 or something like that on ym computer instead of being an idiot and telling me what youre running which does not at all profit me now does anyone have an answer to my original questions?:D

11. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

So I found what garage band Im running it says version 2.02 Im pretty sure so which iLife is this?

12. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The problem was that your description of what your issues were is very vague. No version numbers, no computer specifications etc.

So, your complaint is that Leopard doesn't support iLife 05?

I'm sure they'll point out that iLife actually came out in January 2005, over 2.5 years before Leopard and actually 9 months before Tiger, and has been updated 3 times since, all of which run on Leopard.

How long would you like Apple to keep supporting old software? Eventually supporting all legacy software will require the operating system to become bloated and slow down.

I understand you're frustrated, but you can't entirely blame apple from dropping support for a version that is 3 versions behind the current one.

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

iLife 05

14. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

But my complaint is I was never told in the anything that I read during the update to leopard that iLife would stop working and now i'll either have to buy a new computer or pay a ton of money to upgrade this one to use any of these essential programs

15. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Or you could downgrade your OS back to what you were using.

16. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

and my copy of leopard goes down the drain...

17. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I have been searching online, and I cannot find anywhere that says that iLife 05 does not run on Leopard, in fact, I have read a couple of forum posts that says it runs perfectly fine. What errors are you getting?

18. wouldyoukindly macrumors member

Because iLife '05 is of no concern to Leopard given that there have been more recent versions than that released before Leopard was. You have no case, and the fact that your moaning that your old software is totally compatible with your new is unjustified... Technology moves on... DEAL WITH IT!

And stop being such a tight ass and buy a newer version of iLife!

19. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

uno momento ill run upstairs and tell you the message its giving me.

20. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

You can not use this version of the application iPhoto with this version of Mac OS X

21. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Have you checked to see if there are free updates for this version of iPhoto? what version is it?

22. durija macrumors 6502

One possibility is to repartion your drive so you can boot into either Leopard or Tiger. Not perfect, I know, since you'll have to restart to get into the other OS, but you could still use your old software as needed.

I dual boot one of our machines at work for similar reasons. One critical application won't work in Leopard, so I have to go to Tiger for a few minutes several times each day. When we finally upgrade that app, I'll be able to ditch Tiger for good.

I don't think you can do this in a virtual machine, or I would suggest trying that. Anybody know if it can be done?

23. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

its 5.0.1

24. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

$79.00 to upgrade iLife is hardly "a ton of money", especially considering your version is 4 years old.

Bite the bullet.