What exactly can the AW3 do on its own?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by profmatt, Oct 11, 2017.

1. profmatt macrumors 68000

profmatt

I’m aching to buy an Apple Watch 3, but without the independent ability to download and play podcasts, I really can’t make a case for actually going ahead.

So what can the AW3 do on its own without a phone nearby?

2. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Currently it can make or receive calls. In a later update it can stream music from the LTE service.

3. anticipate macrumors 6502

anticipate

It can also run any data to any app that requires it provided the app has been updated to run native on the watch and not require the phone...

4. flur macrumors 68020

flur

5. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

If I have the AW3 LTE without LTE, can I still leave my iPhone at home and use the watch connected to wifi? Or does the phone have to physically be close by?

6. 0000757 macrumors 68040

You can use any Apple Watch model without your phone as long as you're on a known Wi-Fi network.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Another highlighted separate feature, would be you can stream music from your AirPods from your Apple Watch without having your iPhone nearby.

8. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

AW can track and record GPS, HR data when you workout without your phone.
    It will sync to the phone's Health and Activity App in delayed realtime without manually syncing them.

9. Zxxv macrumors 68040

10. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Here is a great Apple Support Document that covers what your Watch can do without your iPhone.

Link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

Dave

11. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I hear that the Apple Watch can tell time. This may be just a rumor.

12. andresandiego macrumors regular

andresandiego

I can confirm this rumor, it can indeed tell time!

13. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

You could just wait until there is a podcast app. I can't imagine it would be that long. Shouldn't be any harder on the battery than listening to downloaded music.

14. 0000757 macrumors 68040

Every Apple Watch model can do this.

15. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

You can summon an Uber over LTE
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2017 ---
    The WatchPlayer app can now download podcasts directly on the watch without a phone present.

16. chiamac, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

chiamac macrumors member

Before owning an AW, I relied on the iPhone for the time and the weather too. I have a mechanical but only wore it on the occasional night out. Having the Apple Watch has significantly freed up a ton of energy and time from having to constantly pull out the phone just to check the time and weather or having the constant cognitive burden of always knowing where the phone is and keeping it nearby. It’s been liberating.

And being able to unlock the MacBook with the AW is super cool.

17. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Stream Apple Music from the internet? When not in Wifi coverage? :)

Think jogging in the park. :)

18. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

The WatchPlayer app can download podcasts over WiFi or Cellular (really quickly too!)

19. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

I think I'll try this for 99 cents. Tried Watchcast and it didn't work at all.

20. missbing macrumors 6502

missbing

Try Overcast and it’s free.

21. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Overcast no longer let's you send podcasts to the watch.

22. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Before the iPhone and the apple watch I relied on looking outside to check the weather.... and the time. With the iPhone and apple watch its been liberating freeing myself of the constant burden of using my senses and intuition.

Unlocking a mac is severely underrated. Especially if you have lock on screen saver and walk away often.

23. missbing macrumors 6502

missbing

I was able to yesterday. I downloaded the app on my phone, then to my watch. I then added my podcasts to the app on the phone and was able to either stream the podcast to the watch or download them on the phone so that I can play them on the watch without my phone being nearby.

24. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Pretty confused by this - there is no interface anywhere to send a podcast to your watch, it is just a remote control for the iPhone app at this point - if you put your iPhone in Airplane mode all you get is a black screen with the grey Overcast icon looking for your phone, along with the time in the top right - am I missing something?

Right now the WatchPlayer app is the best solution as everything is handled locally on the watch, downloads are quick and the newest update even added the ability to download podcasts from the top 50 charts (podcasts you didn’t send the feed info to your watch of)

25. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Marco Arment who created Overcast removed the feature from the most recent update and talks about watchOS 4 here https://marco.org/. Do you have old version of the app?