Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coffeeinthebin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Is it like the macbook pro, only a desktop? all i know is that its really expensive, and they didn't show a picture of a monitor. which probably means there is none.. haha.. but what is it? the apple live chat people were no help in explaining.. i don't want to buy this, i'm just curious.

vizfxman

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Los Angeles
It's a desktop computer aimed at the professional market, even though some will argue they've been lacking in keeping up.

It's far more expandable than a laptop and no, it doesn't come with a monitor though I don't think there are many professional graphic artists, 3D artists, etc. looking at a laptop screen when doing their work.

And yes, it is expensive.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It's high-end desktop computer from Apple. It's the only real desktop Mac as others are more or less laptops. It's very upgradeable compared to others and also the fastest thus most expensive. It's mainly meant for professionals as iMacs are fine for most peope

hexagonheat

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
"What exactly is the Mac pro?"

It's a mac tower that has 1.5 year old hardware with very limited hardware upgrade options and extremely limited 2-generation-old graphic options that apple refuses to refresh. The price of this beast is still the same as it was when it was first launched even though the components stay the same. You can build a PC for about half the price that will be faster using either Windows 7 or Linux.

:D

vizfxman

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Los Angeles
"What exactly is the Mac pro?"

It's a mac tower that has 1.5 year old hardware with very limited hardware upgrade options and extremely limited 2-generation-old graphic options that apple refuses to refresh. The price of this beast is still the same as it was when it was first launched even though the components stay the same. You can build a PC for about half the price that will be faster using either Windows 7 or Linux.

:D
There is some truth in that, unfortunately.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
It's high-end desktop computer from Apple. It's the only real desktop Mac as others are more or less laptops. It's very upgradeable compared to others and also the fastest thus most expensive. It's mainly meant for professionals as iMacs are fine for most peope

iMacs use desktop class processors now.

R.R.Mac

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
Guildford, England
basically, its a super powerful computer for professional film makers etc. It doesn't come with a monitor as film makers normally have a few anyway!!

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Reading and searching are good ideas.

dqoU5.gif

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I find it much easier to buy a product and then figure out what it's for.

That's a great idea for the OP to do. Buy a MacPro, then figure out what it is used for.

"What are all these connections in the back for? Where the )*)#($ is the monitor? Do I have to open this big piece on the side?"

coffeeinthebin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Hahaha. No I wouldn't buy it, I tried using it at the Apple store and I liked the iMac better, but that could be cause i'm not really in the category that would like it. they had a monitor with it which was HUGE more like a flat screen TV o_0
On the website it pretty much just said a powerful tower that is amazing in performance and graphics. but apple refers to all their computers as amazing.

JeromeOD

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
Heh.

A mac pro is a professional workstation, for real professionals making real money with software. The computer cost is likely the smallest component of their tech investment for work. So they like to use Mac OS and buy a fast computer that works. They don't want to build Win7 machines for half the cost, when what they earn in a day would dwarf that amount of money, and dealing with Windows would cost them even more money.

I'm a sound designer & mixer, and that's why I like a Mac Pro.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
its simply one of the most beautifully designed workstations EVER!

Powerful for professionals and a work of art in itself (if you appreciate that sort of thing).

Upgradable and using workstation class hardware (hence it costs more than a similar numbered PC or iMac) - simply put it's Beauty and the Beast all in one package.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
A professional certified Unix workstation. Really meant for professional use, if you have to ask it is most likely not what you need.

wisty

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
It's a workstation. It uses stuff like EEC memory, multiple CPUs, and other things you only see in professional machines.

It's also, sadly, quite outdated now. It's almost 1 year and 4 months since it was last updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.