What external Optical Drive should I get

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adjeff8, May 7, 2013.

1. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

I will be purchasing the rMBP 15" as soon as Haswell comes out and I need a optical drive. I've seen all the cheaper ones with the drawer but I really like the Apple one that matches the laptop design and it's a insert drive, no drawer. But then I started looking at the Blu Ray drives. They are only a few bucks more, support Blu Ray, which is a nice feature and as far as reading and writing CDs and DVDs the ads claim much faster speeds than the Apple SuperDrive. Also, if the device says USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0 is that a big deal? Should I concentrate on finding a Blu ray that supports USB 3.0? Or should I be sticking with the Apple Super drive

2. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

At the end of April, I obtained a 13" r-MBP and bought the Apple Superdrive as an accessory, mainly to rip music from my CDs to MP3 files on the laptop which are transferred to my iPod; I also burn these as MP3 CD-Rs which give me hours of play in my woodworking shop or elsewhere. NOW, do I really need it for other reasons - not sure? I don't watch movies on a laptop (an HDTV w/ great sound is obviously my preference) despite owning over 1000 DVDs (commercial or burned from the TCM station) & 150 Blu-ray discs. I don't need it for software installation, an obsolete activity - could store my data (i.e. images & photos) onto CDs or DVDs (OR recordable BDs - not even sure how much those are @ the moment), but use external HDs for that purpose?

SO, bottom line for my needs, I'm happy w/ this optical drive; price was right ($80 or so), size & compactness is great, and love the 'slot-loading' - now the USB cord is short but allows just one port for its power needs - Amazon has a LOT of varied reviews - take a look; their average rating is 4*/5 - that would probably be my rating - good luck in your choice - :)

3. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Yeah, I'll probably go that route. It was made for our machines so aesthetically it's a match. I work in Film Production so at Oscar time the guild sends me all the movies nominated, and I find myself on 10 hour flights for work so watching movies on my computer is something that I do. What led me astray is I was thinking as long as I'm buying a external device maybe it would be nice to have it be able to play Blu Rays as well. I found a sexy one for $100. Others for $120 or so

4. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Well, I've not priced the Blu-ray optical options, but from your quotes, the cost seems to be a non-issue, so go for what you want! Let us know - Dave :)

5. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

I found a Rosewill 3.0 USB aluminum 6X Blu Ray external for $119 free shipping
    I also found a Samsung SE 506 A External Slim Blu Ray Rewriter that also supports 2D to 3D scaling, which the other doesn't. Going for $99. But I think it's 2.0 USB, but I don't know if that makes any difference.

6. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I think it just depends on what you are planning to use. I was in the same boat a few weeks ago after purchasing my 13 retina macbook pro. I didn't need Blu Ray and I don't think I will either. If you also look at the reviews for them, burning a Blu Ray takes FOREVER.

I was looking at nearly every external drive and settled on the superdrive from Apple. It's construction is solid and aluminum, and it's speeds are good for me. The others that had a tray, plastic, etc. I didn't like. I was able to pick it up "open box" new on eBay for about $40. Not a bad price. The only thing is that the usb cable is not detachable and is a bit short - sometimes an issue with my mac mini but perfect for my rMBP.

I would recommend the Superdrive.

7. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Well, concerning speeds, I cannot really comment of the Apple Superdrive, but my new r-MBP has just USB 3.0 ports, so I'm taking advantage of them - I have a Seagate USB 3.0 1TB external HD for Time Machine, and then as a safely backup for my Docs/Photos/Music a La Cie 256 GB SSD external drive, also USB 3.0 - there is a substantial speed difference between the two USB standards; SO, if your planning to exchange a lot of information (and not just listen to music or watch movies), the USB 3.0 is the way to go; of course, not that important for recordable CDs (700-800 MB), but single-sided or double-sided DVDs, 4.7 & 8.5 GB, respectively. For recordable BDs (25 or 50 GB!), then a no brainer for me if I went that route. Good luck - :)

8. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Now THERE'S some good info. So no matter what I decide on, USB 3.0 comparability is a MUST. Thank you RadDave

9. Giuly, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

6X Blu Ray writers operate at about 25MB/s, that's well within what USB 2.0 is capable of (about 35MB/s). If you want to write them faster, not only do you need USB 3.0, but also a 12X or 14X drive. The nicest one I could find is the 14X USB 3.0 LG BluRay writer, and it may not be slot loading, but it doesn't look too bad, either.
    [​IMG]

10. cube macrumors G5

That's why I built a FW800 BD burner some years ago. Even FW400 is not fast enough.

A BDXL burner is the way to go now.

11. zarzonis macrumors member

I bought Samsung se-506ab/tswd and I am completely satisfied. It bluray writer and also support 3D content. It's a little more expensive than the one apple offers but definitely the Apple's one is just one optical drive that supports only CDs and DVDs... Nothing close to this one I suggest you. Also is plug and play and the design of the optical drive is astonishing...

12. cube macrumors G5

13. zarzonis macrumors member

If any bd drive is only 1x speed it can't play 3D content because of the higher bit rate... But you still can write 3D content...

14. cube macrumors G5

I imagine 1x BD-ROM speed would be limited to quite old stuff.

15. zarzonis macrumors member

You're right on that but it's true that you can't play 3D content on that. Anyway, I made my suggestion and the TS will make his final decision...
    That LG BD-Drive is also very good and has great design...

16. cube macrumors G5

I did not imply that your suggestion was bad. LG has made quite unique multi burners along the years (DVD-RAM support, HD DVD ROM support). That's what I bought then.

17. zarzonis macrumors member

I understood... No problem here... I think that both are excellent choices..

18. cube macrumors G5

I bought my LG BD because it had HD DVD ROM support (although I don't own any HD DVDs). There's no more HD DVD drives now, so I should save it.

So, if real BD playback software comes out for the Mac, I will buy a BDXL burner.

19. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

The Roswill one I mentioned above says it doesn't

----------

Yeah, I've been checking that one out. It's quite nice. The only drawback is it's USB 2.0

20. zarzonis macrumors member

You're right about that but the speed is still great. If you write BD discs very often then just find a USB 3.0... Otherwise if you only write BD discs not so offer and just watch BD discs this will definitely meet your needs. Also it's very slim that makes it very easy for transportation... However is your choice...

21. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Yeah. You're right. I write BD about as often as I run for president. So there's no difference in 2.0 and 3.0 as far as watching anything or burning something on a CD?

22. zarzonis, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013

zarzonis macrumors member

On a cd and DVD writes definitely not. And in case it does it will be some seconds because the small amount of data that CD, DVD can handle... Also keep in mind that as faster you try to write a cd, DVD, the more chances you have to write a bad copy. Of course on USB 2.0 you'll be able to watch without any problem every cd, DVD ,Bluray ,3D... The only difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0 is noticeable on bluray writes. And as you say that you rarely write bd discs, I think that there will not be any problem if you wait a little more...
    I think that it would be a little overkill to buy a USB 3.0 as you don't write bd discs often. Save yourself some money.

23. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Thanks for the info. I can honestly say I have not nor will I ever write a BD. I've only used my CD in recent years to view movies sent to me by the academy whist on long flights, and I have not even burned a CD in more than 5 years. That Samsung is looking sweeter by the minute

24. zarzonis macrumors member

Hope to be satisfied in case you buy it. To be honest, I think tat you will be.... Oh I forgot to mention that it also has AV abilities, that means you can connect it to a TV in case the TV has a USB port...

25. cube macrumors G5

I thought you said it doesn't support 2D to 3D conversion (in hardware?), not that it does not support 3D Blu Ray playback with appropriate software.

Given that it is USB 3.0, it would be pathetic if it only included a 1x BD-ROM mechanism.